Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

You would be correct good sir. That's what I have heard as well.

Charlotte is in dire need of more hotels uptown, so I sure hope so. I couldn't believe it trying to get a place for a customer to stay for a couple nights. Wednesday/Thursday last-minute booking on some random week and nearly everything was sold out. I tried looking for what was going on at the convention center or elsewhere that week, and came up with nothing of major importance. Also I tried booking a weekend room at Hyatt House about 6 weeks ago...no luck. Sold out on Friday and Saturday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Read in the Observer how the Knights were pondering a name change but instead chose to rebrand.

I am so glad as I always thought they should shed their Fort Mill Family Friendly weekend marketing. It should now be geared towards adults (kids are goin to love it the same anyway!).

As far as their logo, they should change the font of "Knights" and drop the sword shaped "t".

http://www.wbt.com/Pics/WBTPromotions/Generic/KnightsLogo.jpg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^I have never been a fan of the name Knights. It never seemed to have any real meaning or local context so I am bummed they are not going to change it. Oh how I long for a team name as good as: The Durham Bulls, the Asheville Tourists or the Winston-Salem Dash. 

Edited by kermit

Does the Bull mascot have some meaning that I'm not aware of? Or "Dash" for that matter, which makes me think of salt. 

yup, Durham was built by James Duke's tobacco empire which got its start by selling Bull Durham brand tobacco -- Bull Durham was, according to some, the first product ever to be widely advertised. The baseball team name has been around Durham for over 100 years.

The Dash just refers to the ever-present hyphen in Winston-Salem.

Edit: you can see an example of the Bull Durham Advertising painted on the side of a store in Oregon (I can't figure out how to embed the image)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I think the colors are really the only thing that NEEDS to change. They're dated. The lion logo much better than a lot of "modern" team logo now-a-days. It's classic looking. The font is mediocre, but could look good with a color change. 

I'm pretty sure that's a horse...

• Like 1

^I have never been a fan of the name Knights. It never seemed to have any real meaning or local context so I am bummed they are not going to change it. Oh how I long for a team name as good as: The Durham Bulls, the Asheville Tourists or the Winston-Salem Dash. 

Asheville Tourists has got to be the worst name (right there beside river rats) I have ever heard of. Winston-Salem Dash isn't much better, Durham Bulls has name recognition and seems very established IMO so I like it.

Charlotte Knights sort of has historical meaning... Queen City. Charlotte Knights. Knights serving the Queen. I look forward to the rebranding. If you look at the current rendering of the stadium, you see their current branding with the Harris Teeter dragon here and there. That was a turn off to me; I really look forward to seeing a major league, professional branding in 3rd ward. If I had to guess, I'd say they're going for the Major League feel.

Asheville Tourists has got to be the worst name..

I'll admit that it is an acquired taste. At least its not as bad as the Myrtle Beach Mermen (yes, I do understand that it is not a real team).

Fair point on the knights / queen thing. I have never been a fan of blending the symbols of monarchy with sports.

Asheville Tourists has got to be the worst name (right there beside river rats) I have ever heard of. Winston-Salem Dash isn't much better, Durham Bulls has name recognition and seems very established IMO so I like it.

Charlotte Knights sort of has historical meaning... Queen City. Charlotte Knights. Knights serving the Queen. I look forward to the rebranding. If you look at the current rendering of the stadium, you see their current branding with the Harris Teeter dragon here and there. That was a turn off to me; I really look forward to seeing a major league, professional branding in 3rd ward. If I had to guess, I'd say they're going for the Major League feel.

So should we expect something like this????? :whistling:

0221-major-league-ex.jpg

JUUUUUUSSSSTTT a bit outside!

OMG!  They're flying!   They're Flying!

flying_pigs.jpg

Charlotte lawyer Jerry Reese has dropped his efforts to stop the construction of the Charlotte Knights’ baseball stadium in uptown, according to a statement issued Monday by the city and county attorneys’ offices.

The settlement, accepted by Mecklenburg County Attorney Marvin Bethune and Bob Hagemann, Charlotte city attorney, came after a Superior Court judge advised that he would be willing to award sanctions against Reese after dismissing the lawyer’s sixth and seventh lawsuits against the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2013/01/14/reese-lawsuits-against-charlotte.html

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 2