Granby Tower

brikkman

There is some delicious irony or poetic justice in the Federal Government being disrupted by the construction of Granby Tower after the near crippling impact of the Fed's on the original timeline planned for this develoment.

Are they truly surprised that the construction includes driving hundreds of piles and that this is not a silent activity?

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some delicious irony or poetic justice in the Federal Government being disrupted by the construction of Granby Tower after the near crippling impact of the Fed's on the original timeline planned for this develoment.

Are they truly surprised that the construction includes driving hundreds of piles and that this is not a silent activity?

Once again, I think this is nothing more than the paper trolling for negative or controversial news. The paper probably instigated this. When asked, the courts probably replied yeh, it's loud and disruptive.

I no longer consider the Virginian Pilot a newspaper. Its whole purpose, in my mind, is to stir up controversy and elicit negative comments from its extremely uninformed readership. Vdogg, your characterization of this article as "pointless" is right on. Unfortunately, at least half the articles in this paper seem pointless, designed only to create hate and discontent. (It seems to be working.) You'd never find articles like this in a real paper like the Washington Post. Personally, I think the paper is the primary reason we have so many council haters, goverment haters, progress haters, change haters, etc. haters in this town. These people would vote only for candidates who would give them a tax break, even if those candidates are irresponsible, unethical, or just plain dumb.

The Pilot doesn't do _ENOUGH_. I know you all get glassy eye'd at any thought of any big building, constructed by any means... but the majority of taxpayers DO NOT like seeing their tax dollars given to rich people to build private enterprises such as Granby Tower. The Pilot, as do many other papers, runs lots of AP newswire articles, but often misses major points. Also, don't forget papers are written to a low common denominator.

Barring anything catastrophic, I cannot see whay any thinking person would not believe that the building is going forward. The Virginian-Pilot has been running a lot of stories lately which might possibly be designed to give the impression that the project is in grave trouble, but I have seen nothing which would lead me to believe that it won't go forward. Call me an optimist, but it will happen.

I always heard it refered to as the Richmond Crimes-Mismatch.

:rofl: Never heard that one! Actually, crime is down amazingly in the Capital City. Murders so far are about half the number they were this time last year...and 2006 was an improvement over the year before.

Back to topic: Is pile driving in Norfolk necessary because of the high water table?

:rofl: Never heard that one! Actually, crime is down amazingly in the Capital City. Murders so far are about half the number they were this time last year...and 2006 was an improvement over the year before.

Back to topic: Is pile driving in Norfolk necessary because of the high water table?

Here's an article on it: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=154351

Well, this is what I want to know.

The piles are so far in the ground that the head of the pile seems to be barly a foot on top ground. How does that anchor the building (engineers...). I would assume they would make the foundation for structural beams some how but I do not think that is correct..

Well, this is what I want to know.

The piles are so far in the ground that the head of the pile seems to be barly a foot on top ground. How does that anchor the building (engineers...). I would assume they would make the foundation for structural beams some how but I do not think that is correct..

Piles are generally driven first than graded over or barely visible. Then when it comes time to pour the pile caps which ties all of the piles together that will be supporting a certain load, they will dig them back up and create the formwork to pour the concrete into.

Pretty neat. Seems like they should drive piles for houses too, as I understand it many of the newer places are suffering from settling issues.

It looked like there was work going on with the leaning tower of Norfolk, down on Granby near Trader (Dominion Enterprises)... They took down the roof over the sidewalk. For sale signs still decorate it. It looks like it would be easy to get into the building for urban exploration and photography.

Pretty neat. Seems like they should drive piles for houses too, as I understand it many of the newer places are suffering from settling issues.

Houses are much lighter than typical buildings. (Obviously, wood framing is much lighter than steel or concrete.) Also, a pile foundation is much more expensive than a regular footing. That is why piles are not normally used for houses. However, in some parts of Hampton Roads, the poor soil makes it necessary to use piles. Because of the cost, you probably won't see piles on your typical tract house; they are more common in high-end custom housing. Typically, houses and smaller commercial buildings use timber piles instead of the concrete piles being used at Granby Tower.

For houses that have a settlement problem, there is a relatively new pile called a screw pile. It is a steel shaft with a helical plate near the bottom. The advantage of a screw pile is that it does not need a big pile driver to install it. It can be installed with a machine attached to a backhoe. If you have this problem, there are a number of local specialty contractors that can do this work. (And no, I do not have any financial interest in any of them.)

I'm a little confused. If you put in pilings for a house, does that mean that you ususally don't need to reach far down to the "Yorktown strata" to attain enough support? Is the soil is compacted enough underneath the water table to allow for shorter pilings?

Like the article stated, the soil near the Elizabeth River is mostly mush. In other parts of Hampton Roads, there is sand all the way down to the Yorktown stratum. Or, if there is mush, the mushy layer is thin enough, or it is far enough below the surface that the weight of a relatively light structure will not cause the mush to compress and cause settlement problems.

To determine if the piles need to extend all the way to the Yorktown stratum, geotechnical engineers probe the soil under the building and anaylze the various types of soil in the strata below the surface, along with the weight of the building, to determine whether piles are needed, and if so, the type of pile, the length, and capacity. Using the geotechnical recommendation, the structural engineer determines how many piles are needed and their arrangement under each column.

Looks like they've already started digging out from around the piles on the area closest to brambleton to make pile caps (it even looks like they have formwork up around one of them). Considering they still have a ways to go this first one being poured will probably be for the tower crane. They're definitely moving on this though.

Looks like they've already started digging out from around the piles on the area closest to brambleton to make pile caps (it even looks like they have formwork up around one of them). Considering they still have a ways to go this first one being poured will probably be for the tower crane. They're definitely moving on this though.

They clearly are. Tons of people, tons of machines. Anyone want to take some aerials from one of the nearby buildings?

Looks like they've already started digging out from around the piles on the area closest to brambleton to make pile caps (it even looks like they have formwork up around one of them). Considering they still have a ways to go this first one being poured will probably be for the tower crane.

1386605623_b692141538_b.jpg

1387497402_e53117dfaa_b.jpg

:whistling:

1386605623_b692141538_b.jpg

1387497402_e53117dfaa_b.jpg

:whistling:

Wow! It took 4 months once pile-driving began at Trader to see the first piece for the tower crane and here we are at Granby Tower seeing the first signs of a tower crane just 2 months after pile-driving started. Someone must've put some crack in these workers water coolers lol.

Wow! It took 4 months once pile-driving began at Trader to see the first piece for the tower crane and here we are at Granby Tower seeing the first signs of a tower crane just 2 months after pile-driving started. Someone must've put some crack in these workers water coolers lol.

There have been a slew of white hats there keeping these guys on (or ahead of) schedule.

Archived