Granby Tower

brikkman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to one of the constrution workers Friday, they will have three pile drivers working very soon. They have the crane parts on site now they just need the part that does the driving.

Grrr.. You scooped me. :lol: I have just driven by the site and noticed the parts for the other 2 drivers today. If they're gonna have 3 going instead of the orignally planned 2 I may have to revise my estimate downward a month. I'm gonna wait till the end of this month to see how they're doing before I make my prediction.

The week before last 47 piles were driven. Last week 56 were driven. A nice pick up in pace but no where near the level we need to be to finish driving in October. I think i'll stick with my earlier assessment of November for now. Oh well, with the 17 driven the first week they've finished 120 piles. :)

Third pile driver is already put together. Things are steamrollin' now.

Not steam rolling yet, they're still not up to full effeciency yet, i was out there this afternoon and they only had one pile driver working, and that one wasn't working quickly either. They've probably got another week until they get into full swing of things. Agreed, I think November is very realistic at this point vdogg. As is my 2010 finish date.

Not steam rolling yet, they're still not up to full effeciency yet, i was out there this afternoon and they only had one pile driver working, and that one wasn't working quickly either. They've probably got another week until they get into full swing of things. Agreed, I think November is very realistic at this point vdogg. As is my 2010 finish date.

Pounding is not the only thing that a pile driver does. It has to actually drill pilot holes to start the piles. So even if its not pounding I promise you it's doing work. Those pieces of equipment don't sit around, they cost too much. More than likely one pile driver is drilling the other is pounding and they will switch off that job throughout depending on where the next pile goes.

Pounding is not the only thing that a pile driver does. It has to actually drill pilot holes to start the piles. So even if its not pounding I promise you it's doing work. Those pieces of equipment don't sit around, they cost too much. More than likely one pile driver is drilling the other is pounding and they will switch off that job throughout depending on where the next pile goes.

Actually, the pile driver spends a lot of time doing nothing. There's no real reason, they just do. Ideally, once they start driving a pile, they don't stop until it reaches the required elevation or the required blow count (the number of hammer strikes needed to drive the pile one foot). But then, it takes a while until it is ready to start driving the next one.

By the way, someone actually gets paid to count the blows and record how many blows are required for each foot of pile driven. If you go to the site, you will see him standing about 30 feet from the pile and holding a clip board. It's not a bad gig if you can get it.

Each pile driver drills its own pilot hole. Look closely and you will see the auger attached to the side of the "leads" on each of the three rigs. It usually takes only a few minutes to pre-auger. The auger depth is usually only about 20 feet.

Actually, the pile driver spends a lot of time doing nothing. There's no real reason, they just do. Ideally, once they start driving a pile, they don't stop until it reaches the required elevation or the required blow count (the number of hammer strikes needed to drive the pile one foot). But then, it takes a while until it is ready to start driving the next one.

By the way, someone actually gets paid to count the blows and record how many blows are required for each foot of pile driven. If you go to the site, you will see him standing about 30 feet from the pile and holding a clip board. It's not a bad gig if you can get it.

Each pile driver drills its own pilot hole. Look closely and you will see the auger attached to the side of the "leads" on each of the three rigs. It usually takes only a few minutes to pre-auger. The auger depth is usually only about 20 feet.

That is one of the most boring jobs that you could ever have. Sitting there, for hours upon hours, counting blow counts, and then waiting for the driver to drill a pilot hole and start all over. No thank you. Monotonous (sp). With three pile drivers and with three cranes on site. Yesterday had very little down time between piles. Now that things are picking up it seems to be a very efficient setup. My point about the pile driver was that it's always doing something. Whether it be drilling, repositioning or being loaded, or pounding. The crane operator is always busy.

I read this in the hilton comments section, is there any validity to this?

This should be the tell tale (hide comment)

Have the citizens of Norfolk now finally seen how deliberately and for selfish gains, the mayor and council have favoured these developers to such an extent that they cannot see straight to govern with any ethics? Enough is enough, let the area grow at a natural place and for god sakes, fund the school first and foremost. It is rumoured that Marathon Developers via the Granby tower project is trying to go back to the city for more money over top of the 23 million they have already received because they do not have the loan. The counsel has an obligation to serve the needs of its citizenship and is doing anything but that. The Convention center is not needed so let it go. Let all of the council know, no other bids, drop the project now

- Asner J. - Norfolk

The last article seemed pretty clear that financing was finished and the construction pace certainly seems to indicate it. I want to say this person is just talking out their @&* but you never know with projects in this city. :rolleyes:

I read this in the hilton comments section, is there any validity to this?

This should be the tell tale (hide comment)

Have the citizens of Norfolk now finally seen how deliberately and for selfish gains, the mayor and council have favoured these developers to such an extent that they cannot see straight to govern with any ethics? Enough is enough, let the area grow at a natural place and for god sakes, fund the school first and foremost. It is rumoured that Marathon Developers via the Granby tower project is trying to go back to the city for more money over top of the 23 million they have already received because they do not have the loan. The counsel has an obligation to serve the needs of its citizenship and is doing anything but that. The Convention center is not needed so let it go. Let all of the council know, no other bids, drop the project now

- Asner J. - Norfolk

The last article seemed pretty clear that financing was finished and the construction pace certainly seems to indicate it. I want to say this person is just talking out their @&* but you never know with projects in this city. :rolleyes:

Counsel, favoured, rumoured. Unless someone on the council has a british confidant, grain of salt. I agree though, with this city council you never know...and with Marathon you never know :rolleyes:

Judge rules GT pile drivers out of order

For a second I thought this pointless article was actually more bad news. Is it me or does it seem like the pilot likes to report bad news on projects in groups, to give the impression that everything is falling apart? So long as this is not impeding the progress of the tower, I don't care whether the judge gets a headache or not (that's probably his home they're building anyway). Btw, they've driven a lot more than an hundred piles. According to the weekly pile driving counts they should be upwards of 2-300 now.

Judge rules GT pile drivers out of order

For a second I thought this pointless article was actually more bad news. Is it me or does it seem like the pilot likes to report bad news on projects in groups, to give the impression that everything is falling apart? So long as this is not impeding the progress of the tower, I don't care whether the judge gets a headache or not (that's probably his home they're building anyway). Btw, they've driven a lot more than an hundred piles. According to the weekly pile driving counts they should be upwards of 2-300 now.

I no longer consider the Virginian Pilot a newspaper. Its whole purpose, in my mind, is to stir up controversy and elicit negative comments from its extremely uninformed readership. Vdogg, your characterization of this article as "pointless" is right on. Unfortunately, at least half the articles in this paper seem pointless, designed only to create hate and discontent. (It seems to be working.) You'd never find articles like this in a real paper like the Washington Post. Personally, I think the paper is the primary reason we have so many council haters, goverment haters, progress haters, change haters, etc. haters in this town. These people would vote only for candidates who would give them a tax break, even if those candidates are irresponsible, unethical, or just plain dumb.

Aug 27th to Sept 3 =101 piles driven.

Aug 20th to Aug 27th = 92 piles driven.

Aug 13th- Aug 20th = 56 piles driven. :)

Added to the previous 120 already in the ground and we're at 369 so far.

I may move up my estimate to the end of October now that they're moving along so quickly.

I no longer consider the Virginian Pilot a newspaper. Its whole purpose, in my mind, is to stir up controversy and elicit negative comments from its extremely uninformed readership. Vdogg, your characterization of this article as "pointless" is right on. Unfortunately, at least half the articles in this paper seem pointless

It could always be worse... The Richmond Times-Dispatch could be your local paper. The nickname isn't Times-Disgrace for nothing!

Archived