Granby Tower

brikkman

I'm sure every reporter is looking for controversy, but it would only be a contentious article if the buyers have something controversial to say, right?

I hear what you're saying, and I wish you were right. But I've seen how the Pilot operates, and they just seem to have more of an agenda than other newspapers. Let's just hope this is all made a moot point (in a good way) soon.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear what you're saying, and I wish you were right. But I've seen how the Pilot operates, and they just seem to have more of an agenda than other newspapers. Let's just hope this is all made a moot point (in a good way) soon.

I don't know if I agree, at least in terms of Granby Tower. The Pilot did a lot of articles - almost too many - leading up to construction starting. There were articles every time there was some movement at the sight - or an article when Buddy announced when it would actually begin.

In terms of Norfolk development in general, I'm not sure. I think you have to write an article when financing goes down the tubes, or when a developer backs out (Hilton).

If not, what would we have to talk about here? ;)

I don't know if I agree, at least in terms of Granby Tower. The Pilot did a lot of articles - almost too many - leading up to construction starting. There were articles every time there was some movement at the sight - or an article when Buddy announced when it would actually begin.

In terms of Norfolk development in general, I'm not sure. I think you have to write an article when financing goes down the tubes, or when a developer backs out (Hilton).

If not, what would we have to talk about here? ;)

When Granby Tower gets financing arranged again, will the Virginian-Pilot place the article on the front page with the same large bold headlines of this weeks announcement?

I doubt it.

I thought that the media was supposed to report the news, not influence it!

I think that Granby Tower will get built.

I do not think that Buddy invented a grand scheme to get more money for the property.

I do think that Buddy not being totally honest with the public has tarnished his reputation.

I just can't wait to see this tower rise into the skyline!

I thought that the media was supposed to report the news, not influence it!

How do they influence it, really? I doubt Buddy is sitting in his office making decisions based on a newspaper article...and the same goes for city officials.

Though I doubt, when financing is secured, that the article will end up on A1. It will probably be the business section, as CP insinuated.

When Granby Tower gets financing arranged again, will the Virginian-Pilot place the article on the front page with the same large bold headlines of this weeks announcement?

I doubt it.

Exactly my point. And does it have to be front-page news? Can you imagine the Washington Post putting a story like this on the front page, even if the building were the tallest building in the region (VA or MD)? Of course not. They'd still be talking national politics, war in Iraq, international stories, and everything else real newspapers agree are front page stories, not every local piece of controversy or negativism. What are we, a farming town of 5,000 people who just want gossip and crime stories? Yes, this is news, but so are a lot of other things.

As for Pirate's point, let me leave you with this. A while back, the Pilot put an article on front-page headlines that screamed "Chesapeake's violent crime rate up 18%." The next day, they admitted they added wrong (car thefts, not car-jackings by the way), and the actual figures were DOWN 7%. Ok, they made a 25% (not 3 or 4) mistake. We all make mistakes (just maybe not that big). Did the follow-up receive front page coverage like the other one? No. The correction was at the bottom of page 3 of the Local News section. A far cry from the emphasis they placed on the other article. It sells, you say? Not likely. I think people are tired of hearing about that stuff, and the result is people moving to greener pastures (or what they think are greener ones).

How do they influence it, really?

I'll take a stab at this. If you were looking to invest in a property, and article after article about this property were negative in some fashion, would you invest your money in it? I know I wouldn't. I think all the negative press has had a large influence on this tower and it's ability to attract tenants. No one is saying not to report the news. But when there is literally no new news what sense does it make to beat the drum of doom and gloom yet again? And why is this a front page story? Why the hype? Development articles used to almost always be contained to the business or Hampton Roads section (if it were generally positive news), but if it's negative news it's on the front page? I think we may be segwaying into a different and common conversation however, that being the medias need to sensationalize anything, no matter how trivial. Perhaps that's a topic for a different thread. For better or worse, there will be new news in 2 weeks. He'll either have the money, or he won't, and we'll all be waiting for an article with great anticipation by then. ;)

Did anyone hear about the Carnegie Melon professor who has only months to live due to pancreatic cancer, and gave his final lecture on life? He was on national news programs, and he is now here in Chesapeake! Where is the Pilot when there is actual news to report? This is really off topic, but oh well.

I don't get the hard copy of the paper, so if it was reported... my bad!

I'll take a stab at this. If you were looking to invest in a property, and article after article about this property were negative in some fashion, would you invest your money in it? I know I wouldn't. I think all the negative press has had a large influence on this tower and it's ability to attract tenants.

I think an investor that lets media coverage sway his/her decisions is probably not the wisest. And I think a lot of coddling goes on when it comes to Buddy and his tower. Of course it's tough to get a project this large on course, but to say the number of units sold has been affected by media coverage is a little far-fetched. I mean, when you say you're going to build a development on this level, aren't you taking all this kind of stuff with it? It's part of the game, right?

I think an investor that lets media coverage sway his/her decisions is probably not the wisest. And I think a lot of coddling goes on when it comes to Buddy and his tower. Of course it's tough to get a project this large on course, but to say the number of units sold has been affected by media coverage is a little far-fetched. I mean, when you say you're going to build a development on this level, aren't you taking all this kind of stuff with it? It's part of the game, right?

You sound like a Journalist... :ph34r:

"Woe unto you Scribes and Pharasees!"

What they are saying is that 75% of the pilots coverage is very negative. They have no balance at all.

I haven't audited the GT coverage to nail down how much is negative or not, but I just see the coverage as coverage, not a witch hunt of sorts. Or were you saying all of their coverage is primarily negative? Not just GT articles...

The main business of newspapers is to sell newspapers. The Virginian-Pilot just reinvented it's appearance in order to boost readership/sales. The trend of newspaper readership is down due to the availability of 24 hour cable news and the internet. Newspapers are fighting for their sheer survival. This leads to focus on the controversial and the negative moreso than ever. Anyone who does not think what we see in the newspaper is designed in any way other than to sell the most papers is smoking dope. That is why we see prominent reporting of negative news about Granby Tower and more casual or no coverage of good news or routine progress. And this does noy just apply to Granby Tower. It applies to every bit of news in the entire paper.

Gaddams has more than used the newspaper to his own benefit (free promotion) and now that things are not going so well, he is probably trying to keep things hush-hush. Developers are usually in projects for one reason: cha-ching! So him & the city council probably haven't been as upfront and honest as they would like everyone to believe. Saying the financing is there and then the financiers backing out is not the pilot's fault.

I have never put much faith is these type of projects until I see something actually going up anyway. All the projects that have been proposed and never built would fill up another forum. If this goes up, great, but if not, there are other projects that will be built too.

Gaddams has more than used the newspaper to his own benefit (free promotion) and now that things are not going so well, he is probably trying to keep things hush-hush.

Agree with you there.

There were a couple of really positive stories about the tower when construction was about to begin/beginning. He has also purchased a couple of half-page ads for the tower, but nothing works like free promotion. And to some (not sure if i agree with this) any press is good press.

A: I was really sure it was a done deal once the pile driving started.

B: Pilot has given the new Farm Fresh downtown so much press... that is worth a ton of money. They've been really positive on it. HamptonRoads.tv did a segment as well.

Pilot hooked GT up with alot of press. Perhaps they get paid for them, or perhaps GT and Farm Fresh took out a ton of ad space and they are patting them on the back.

A: I was really sure it was a done deal once the pile driving started.

B: Pilot has given the new Farm Fresh downtown so much press... that is worth a ton of money. They've been really positive on it. HamptonRoads.tv did a segment as well.

Pilot hooked GT up with alot of press. Perhaps they get paid for them, or perhaps GT and Farm Fresh took out a ton of ad space and they are patting them on the back.

Farm Fresh is one of the Pilot's largest advertisers. GT has put a couple of ads in, but nothing like the regular FF schedule of big sale paper inserts.

Farm Fresh is one of the Pilot's largest advertisers. GT has put a couple of ads in, but nothing like the regular FF schedule of big sale paper inserts.

That would explain it!

I noticed that the dog boutique in Freemason called Maggie Mays has 50% off going out of business signs up. It's on Botetourt St, and from what I understand sold really expensive dog accessories. I wonder how long Dekor Eklect will last (or whatever the shop on the end is called).

I do notice there are lots of people that sit there and look thru the windows.

Now that we've milked the Pilot issue to death, did anyone see in Sunday's paper anything about Gaddams having an alternate lender lined up? I was told there was something in the paper.

I just saw a wrap-up of the original story in the second News section they run on Sunday - I didn't think there was anything new, but I could have missed it. Nothing in the biz section about it.

And after seeing that full page ad for Bojangles every Monday for quite some time now, I am really ready for a story about spicy fried chicken.

Ha...they've done two stories about the Bojangles franchise expansion! Okay...done being off topic, just had to put those cents in.

This is all so reminiscent of the continuing travails of Trump Towers Tampa, which has sat at the same stage as Granby Tower finds itself, for about two years now. The details are different, but the core is the same -- over optimistic developer has grandiose plans and runs into financing problems. Rosy press releases continue, but can't coverup the reality -- the project will probably never get off the ground.

The Tampa guy is talking to NY "hedge funds" (read, legalized loan sharks) about the construction money. What that means is he is at the same point as Buddy -- with the lenders of last resort. Maybe Buddy can pull a rabbit out of his hat -- maybe he can't. This Tampa guy has the Trump name (that is now in dispute, but still advertised as "Trump Towers"), in a market much more used to upscale high rise living.

Archived