SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

This building still has an incomplete feel to it, the Caldwell St stairway exit is still not sealed in around the doorway, and construction ongoing in the stairwell.  More importantly, things look and feel... odd.  The elevator ride to the top scared me a bit as well, cant put my finger on why, just didn't feel safe.

Just curious... when were you able to take the elevator to the top?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the same experience last week in regards to only going to the 14th on the elevator. It is the highest for the hotel...

Agreed that a lot of hotels seem to have windows in the halls (if that's what you're referring to), but I don't recall any condo/apt towers in clt off the top of my head that have windows in the hallways.

My take on it:

- incredible amenities (free valet, full service hotel amenities, the rooftop bar/rest etc., nice common areas)

- Actually very good finishes and floor plans. Some of the better ones i've seen in any building uptown.

- Huge balconies

- Does have an overall strange feeling to it. Maybe bc no one is living there and they are only finished with three floors

- The windows in some of the condos are a bit odd (you'd have to see them to understand) but im speaking in relation to size, location

Hopefully you mentioned to them, as signage would be very easy for them to add now that the hotel is operating.    It is becoming a more common thing in my observation for urban hotels to have lobbies on higher floors, but signage is a no-brainer.

^ it's going to stay a parking lot because it's owned by the rail road with no immediate ambitions, correct?

actually last year the current legislature required that the NCRR sell the parcels which are not on its right of way (this parcel _was_ at the Southern end of the NCRR before it was rerouted to Graham st). The requirement came out of the discussions about divesting the NCRR. 

Because of this legislative requirement there is a chance the parcel will be sold in the near term. That said, I have heard no discussion about these property sales since the initial legislation.

From the Charlotte 2020 Plan:

Create a Signature Pedestrian Street on Brevard 
Street.
 Brevard Street is envisioned as a signature 
pedestrian street with wide sidewalks and an 
exciting streetscape environment, including art, 
lighting and sculptural elements. A minimum 22-foot 
setback should be established from the back of the 
curb to the primary building façade along Brevard 
in order to provide suffi cient room for pedestrian 
activity, outdoor dining and a continuous street wall 
along Brevard. 

Create a Large Civic Plaza.
 An “urban living room” 
should be located at the intersection of Brevard and 
Trade streets. This plaza should be activated by the 
new CTC and the diversity of uses along Brevard. The 
space should accommodate informal gatherings and 
fl exible uses such as kiosks and retail vending while 
also serving as a venue for large civic events.

Develop a Bold New Charlotte Transportation 
Center. 
Redevelopment of the CTC site would 
integrate the transit center function with other 
uses. While there would be an emphasis on 
facilitating ease of passenger transfers between 
modes, improving operations and circulation 
in the area, decreasing noise and exhaust and 
improving the pedestrian experience, the CTC site 
is located on prime real estate near the urban core. 
Redevelopment should be coordinated with design 
of the Charlotte Gateway Station. Further study is 
required to ensure right-sizing of operations at the 
CTC and Gateway Station and to further explore 
operations as a dual hub system.

^ There's an image of the imagined future of the CTC area on page 31 of the Focus area of 2020 report; the CTC focus area starts on page 30 though.  Also see image on page 35.

Of course all of this is speculative "We want" and not in any way, shape, or form an actual formal proposal for development by private entities or even government body.  Only a "what could be" and what the Charlotte Center City Partners are lobbying for in a broad sense.

Anyway the point is that they seem to see the parking lot as gone.

Yeah, but that's such a dreamscape.  Have you seen the 2010 plan?  A lot of things did come about, but they had very very grandiose plans that never could come close to fruition, like skyline extending south to Carson, etc.

This will be great when it eventually gets to private hands, but it is really many steps away from anything come about.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived