SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

Frankly a 20-something story hotel or apartment or both building is rarely something that anyone cares to reflect on for meaningful architecture, and this will hopefully will halfway decent from a distance.  Once the finishing touches are on, if they look anything like the rendering, the penthouse/restaurant section on top will be fairly interesting and not bad, especially that glass 'shard' thing on the Caldwell side.  From the street level, the most significant change from the Park design is a larger lobby and the addition of street retail space.   That alone makes up for any lesser facade materials, although we don't yet know what the materials are for that street section, the design does at least have the more human scale 2-story section with glass, which does address street-level activity more than it could have.

3.jpg

310083_420737358001463_455682612_n.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking again at the facade, though, it is clear that while not brick, it is a form of tile, so I think the person who said they were hardiplank panels/tiles was correct.  They have some variations in color which would not be the case if it were just scored stucco, and you can see on the ground level construction photo above that they have added horizontal metal strips for mounting those panels. 

And this photo does make them seem more attractive than the photo of the other side.

154137_420737368001462_844904756_n.jpg

Looking again at the facade, though, it is clear that while not brick, it is a form of tile, so I think the person who said they were hardiplank panels/tiles was correct.  They have some variations in color which would not be the case if it were just scored stucco, and you can see on the ground level construction photo above that they have added horizontal metal strips for mounting those panels. 

And this photo does make them seem more attractive than the photo of the other side.

154137_420737368001462_844904756_n.jpg

The red in that picture is, I suspect, terra cotta panels. What I think may be fiber cement panels is the orangey-brick that's on the corners down low around the parking deck.

• 1 month later...

I was just posting on the epicenter thread and I mentioned the the Skye on it and I realized I have heard no new updates from this project at all. I drive by it almost everyday and I have not seen any real activity on it. A little nervous about this project especially in light of what happened with the Fountain project and the lack of news from the massive Crescent project...

• 2 weeks later...

They are pretty close to finishing the exterior of this building. I'd say it may be finished by the end of the month, with exception to the ground level area. Have to say though, the more this building gets closer to being done, the more "eh" I feel about it. Though, at this point I think we could all just be happy that it's getting finished after all these years... Roof top restaurant will be a nice addition though. 

They are pretty close to finishing the exterior of this building. I'd say it may be finished by the end of the month, with exception to the ground level area. Have to say though, the more this building gets closer to being done, the more "eh" I feel about it. Though, at this point I think we could all just be happy that it's getting finished after all these years... Roof top restaurant will be a nice addition though. 

The restaurant promises to be a special place.  I have been to the rooff and can't wait.

Amazing, this still isn't "sealed" off??

It is, more or less except for the construction elevator. The bottom open spaces is parking deck, the top open spaces are balconies.

• 1 month later...

The Hyatt Place hotel has hired a GM and is anticipating a September opening. Also, the condos should start closing around that time as well. So far, 24 of the 67 condos are under contract. No word on the rooftop restaurant yet...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/05/general-manager-hired-for-hyatt-place.html

• 3 weeks later...

<p>HUGE NEWS FOR CHARLOTTE'S RESTAURANT SCENE!</p>

<p>http://helendining.blogspot.com/2013/05/cleveland-star-chef-coming-to-charlotte.html</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>One of my favorite restaurants in America is opening its second restaurant, at the top of Skye Condos. I was really worried about this being a stupid chain, HUGE news.</p>

One of the comments on the Cleveland Newspaper site is somewhat funny. They question "why Charlotte"...is NYC or SF too competitive?

I am originally from Cleveland, that is a FANTASTIC restaurant. It'll be a great addition to the city, this is awesome news. Anyone have an opening date?

I thought it said October

Ha!  You know that was probably just a flippant comment and the owners of SKYE ran to the press for some positive publicity.   Pretty funny, though.  

4th Ward is a common backdrop for them, they don't have too much to do to make it look 3rd worldish with the homeless and home-training-less littering everywhere.

Archived