SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

That seems to show that no sales have been made in a while, right?   I can understand, though, that many people are not comfortable buying condos now sight-unseen.   I somewhat am surprised to see them having no products in the 100K's, but I guess I hadn't paid attention to pricing before.

It will be nice to see the project completed this year.  Having a hotel for half of it instantly means that pedestrian activity will start almost immediately, even if condo sales are incremental.    Given the success of Epicentre a couple blocks away, plus being the closest condo project to the government center, ought to mean there is some market for the condos, especially now that lending is slowly opening up.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A California-based company has sued the developer of the Skye Condominiums uptown saying the developer engaged in “egregious and unscrupulous conduct” by failing to pay a $500,000 commission after the company helped secure financing for the hotel-condominium project.

More info here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/24/3810554/skye-condominiums-sued-in-dispute.html

I did not see this coming.   Does this basically mean that they are not successful in making a deal with the hotel company?   I figure that these guys are not fully pros considering they are just construction company owners and got this building at a steal, but I am surprised there is not more 'up and up' in the new iteration of this project.   Please tell me this isn't going to be something that stalls progress.   I bet it won't though, and is just more or less in the legal layer, while the physical layer progresses as normal.

It has nothing to do with a hotel company...Small apparantly realized they needed a loan to complete the project, this company found them someone willing to do a loan and Small brothers closed on that loan (meaning they got the money) and apparantly Small didn't want to pay them the full "finders fee".

Its a civil dispute and there is no way for them to foreclose, though I'm not sure about their ability to put a lien on the property. 

They sure had been moving slow....hopefully this loan speeds it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice if work is still going on at the site? I haven't been downtown recently.

Their Facebook page just showed progress shots and it looks to me like it's still trucking along

So it is not a surprise, but now it is clear that the parts of the rendering that could have potentially been seen as brick turned out to just red colored EIFS with some smaller scaled lines in it.   I would not be surprised if the architect did envision some brick sections but for costs and ease of construction, they opted for the lesser option.  

2v2.jpg

has become this:

149308_420737321334800_678011207_n.jpg

So it is not a surprise, but now it is clear that the parts of the rendering that could have potentially been seen as brick turned out to just red colored EIFS with some smaller scaled lines in it.   I would not be surprised if the architect did envision some brick sections but for costs and ease of construction, they opted for the lesser option.  

2v2.jpg

has become this:

149308_420737321334800_678011207_n.jpg

Its quite obvious to me that this will become the ugliest skyscraper in the south.

I also really don't like the exterior look of the building as planned or as it is going up (saw it last week) but at least it's not the ugliest skyscraper in the U.S. 

pearl.jpg

Haha I see that building every day when I go over the Manhattan Bridge on the way to work.

CBJ had an update in today's issue: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2013/02/08/work-progresses-on-skye-condos-despite.html?s=print

• Condos will begin to be delivered in the third quarter (although they have failed to meet quite a few target dates on the project already)
  • 12 units are under contract, 21 are listed, the building will have 69 condo units
  • the model unit / sales center will open in March
  • The hotel will have 172 rooms and is also scheduled to open in the third quarter

FWIW

The yellow is the Georgia Pacific panel insulation.

I think the delays are probably something that should have been expected given the complexity of changing designs and construction people significantly mid stream.

It seems that they are continuing to not sell well, but I always believed that would need to be bought from inventory for the most part, as people are not comfortable anymore with buying future-built condos, especially in the target market for these.

I suspect they are now close enough along to be able to correctly call the schedule, especially being vague with a 3 month target timeframe.  I can't wait for it to be finished and for there to be the hotel and residence and restaurant activity going on in what is now a fairly deserted area.

That Verizon building is hideous. But I'm not so negative on the Skye building. It's not groundbreaking to say the least, but I don't think it's horrible...just boring. Maybe it's just that I have wanted this freaking thing to be completed for so long, I'll settle for anything. I am looking forward to the rooftop restaurant, though.

Archived