SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for those pics.  And Actually - the last pic is kind of cool in the sense of going from the old Federal Style in the foreground to the NASCAR plaza in the background - I'm digging that the variety.  Considering the hotel is suppose to go next door to it and you suddenly have once less dead strip of same old same old in Charlotte.

An even closer look......

Model Unit 14th Floor (Facing away from the City) 

wsez.jpg

View from the 14th

lmhs.jpg

Inside Fahrenheit

gda2.jpg

Penthouse Unit

a1qc.jpg

Planter Boxes- They are saying for the chef....

su5w.jpg

Poolside view....

6czo.jpg

Then the hottub they are calling a pool that is also shared with the hotel.... :ermm:  (Poolside bar to the right)

qr7k.jpg

One last shot before headed down....

a3zb.jpg

Overall not impressed with the finishes of the units.... Lost of hotel type finishes.

Right now they are just finishing the 14th and 15th floors.

They need 6 more contracts to finish the rest of the condo floors.

An even closer look......

Model Unit 14th Floor (Facing away from the City) 

wsez.jpg

View from the 14th

lmhs.jpg

Inside Fahrenheit

gda2.jpg

Penthouse Unit

a1qc.jpg

Planter Boxes- They are saying for the chef....

su5w.jpg

Poolside view....

6czo.jpg

Then the hottub they are calling a pool that is also shared with the hotel.... :ermm:  (Poolside bar to the right)

qr7k.jpg

One last shot before headed down....

a3zb.jpg

Overall not impressed with the finishes of the units.... Lost of hotel type finishes.

Right now they are just finishing the 14th and 15th floors.

They need 6 more contracts to finish the rest of the condo floors.

I like the pics. Glad to see what things look like inside and topside. Disappointed to hear about the finishes if it means sales won't be successful. If it sells well, then I don't really care (if that makes sense). Just really glad to have this thing nearing completion.

"6 contracts needed..."   Does that mean they won't even finish the interiors of the condos until they reach a sales goal that they are 6 short of?  Or that they are only 6 away from selling out?  I assume the first number, although I honestly thought that it was ALREADY a done deal that they would actually complete the project.

Is it a matter of the *standard* finishes being average or hotel-style with a possibility still of people asking for upgrades?  

I agree with Jed that as long as people buy, I don't mind if it is considered an upper-middle level of quality or low or high or ultra high, as long as it is priced properly.   I tend to think that there is a still a bit of a shock process where some of the excesses of the credit boom 5-8 years ago are no longer possible.   I'm sure that the developer here must balance that, similar to the Avenue developers, adding some things which are upscale and some things that are just average.  

"6 contracts needed..."   Does that mean they won't even finish the interiors of the condos until they reach a sales goal that they are 6 short of?  Or that they are only 6 away from selling out?  I assume the first number, although I honestly thought that it was ALREADY a done deal that they would actually complete the project.

Is it a matter of the *standard* finishes being average or hotel-style with a possibility still of people asking for upgrades?  

I agree with Jed that as long as people buy, I don't mind if it is considered an upper-middle level of quality or low or high or ultra high, as long as it is priced properly.   I tend to think that there is a still a bit of a shock process where some of the excesses of the credit boom 5-8 years ago are no longer possible.   I'm sure that the developer here must balance that, similar to the Avenue developers, adding some things which are upscale and some things that are just average.  

6 more contracts to get the rest of the loan apparently. So as of now only 14th and 15th floors are only being completed.

By hotel finishes for example they have recessed can lighting that is florescent that you cant even change to led or a normal bulb. So if you wanted a normal color you would have to change out the entire fixture. 

Like this: (This is not a pic from the building)

08405a.jpg

To me personally they are not priced properly... 

Looks rather dark in that one unit you posted. Not a lot of natural lighting in there.

I'm sure with floor-to-ceiling windows its plenty bright, but that camera's light meter is thrown out of wack looking into the light from that deep in the unit, with dark-colored finishes in the foreground. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Hyatt website now says that the hotel is accepting reservations for stays beginning November 23. Despite that the website says that the hotel is not available for any of the dates I have checked.

Just a little observation, but I had some business in Myers park today with a few colleagues.  On our return trip via 3rd street to 277 to 77 I couldn't help noticing how the very top of Skye - particularly the two reddish/brownish/orange-ish penthouses actually make a nice colorful addition to the skyline when coming from the south.

I can imagine if lit at night the effect will be equally impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah from whatever angle you look at it it adds volume to our skyline, I think it is great! And having grown up in Cleveland, I can tell you from experience, Fahrenheit is absolutely incredible...I have no doubt it will quickly become one of the more popular restaurants in Charlotte, especially given its awesome rooftop location.

Considering this is the only new condo project anywhere near downtown, I wonder if these finishes that seem only suited for hotels are kind of a new normal.   It seemed that during the bush boom that they could charge the prices to justify all sorts of great upgrades, whereas that is much more difficult in the new economy and most developers lost their shirts when the sea changed.  This may be the new normal that we must get used to until higher prices are commanded. 

For the exterior, I find that I like all of the sides of the building except the side facing Tryon.  I do not like how the hotel windows look on that side.  Otherwise, such as in this skyline photo, it looks good to me.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hyatt website now says that the hotel is accepting reservations for stays beginning November 23. Despite that the website says that the hotel is not available for any of the dates I have checked.

The Hyatt website now reports this hotel is taking reservations for stays as early as October 15.

Archived