Cap over Belk Freeway (277)

dubone

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, kermit said:

Thrilled to see a story in Southern Urbanism Quarterly on 5 Southern Freeways that need to be removed. The Belk is #2, I am always overjoyed when people other than us discuss this!

https://southernurbanism.org/blog/southern-freeway-removal-phil-veasley

I love how the Charlotte photo used in this article really conveys the prominence of our power lines, more so than in any of the other cities' pics.  Power lines are like front and center in this pic.  Such an old pic too.  Appears to be taken before any of Legacy Union was built.

Edited by RANYC
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I love how the Charlotte photo used in this article really conveys the prominence of our power lines, more so than in any of the other cities' pics.  Power lines are like front and center in this pic.  Such an old pic too.  Appears to be taken before any of Legacy Union was built.

Looks like the pic was taken in 2010. They couldn’t find a more current photo?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, willdarden said:

Interesting last couple paragraphs in this CBJ article about the Queensbridge development... Anyone want to speculate??

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/25/queensbridge-collective-official-groundbreaking.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

"Dodson said Queensbridge Collective will serve as something of a bridge between uptown and South End. And it seems the development may not be Riverside's only foray into Charlotte. Dodson joked that she wanted the developer's next project to cover Interstate 277 to "truly bridge the gap between South End and uptown." 

"Are you up for it?" she asked.

To which Scacco replied, "We might have some ideas."

Yes, I read that as well and was intrigued.  Glad to hear that our economic development guru appears to be an advocate for capping, or it’s at least on her radar.  Perhaps it’s working its way into the 1.2 billion stadium renovation?  At one point a while ago just before she left office, Julie Eiselt posted about the creation of a civic gathering “stadium district,” leveraging  a partially capped 277 for some of it.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

Some discussion of the lack of carmageddon following the Philadelphia I-95 bridge collapse.

If severing the primary east coast interstate artery didn’t cause traffic disasters then removing the Belk will barely be a ripple.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/08/25/i-95-bridge-collapse-carmageddon/

The traffic apps are definitely a plus; I use google in order to walk out the front door these days;   however, the gist,  to me, of the article seemed to be the rapidity at which the bridge was repaired.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...