Cap over Belk Freeway (277)

dubone

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So Seattle essentially put a cap over the Alaskan Way Viaduct a few years ago (they built a tunnel for it). Turns out they should have just removed it. Toll revenue and traffic are running way below expectations, the tunnel is going to need a bailout, so non drivers are going to end up paying for this boondoggle.

Removing the Belk (not capping) is the fiscally prudent thing to do.

https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/07/22/sr-99-tunnel-is-bleeding-money-as-toll-revenue-forecasts-plunge/

The Alaskan Way Viaduct was one of my favorite Seattle drives until it got north of the Aurora Bridge (then it feels like Independence Blvd.) That said, they shouldn't have built the tunnel when the decommissioned the AWV.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, davidclt said:

The Alaskan Way Viaduct was one of my favorite Seattle drives until it got north of the Aurora Bridge (then it feels like Independence Blvd.) That said, they shouldn't have built the tunnel when the decommissioned the AWV.

Building that tunnel was the biggest mistake Seattle has made in a long, long time. And they then just put a surface highway on top of it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Honestly, There is no cap that will be that good or do much IMO. I've yet to see smaller scale (like a block or 2) interstate caps that were anything but a meh park. Bridges on the other hand have been more active and cooler and people seem more interested in frequenting them. There is one I can't find from like the 2008 era where it was a giant circular pedestrian bridge that looked like it had four columns around the circle that looked like giant flames. It was very Olympic looking.

Other ones seems nice:

Here's what planners say a new pedestrian bridge over I-277 in Charlotte  will look like | WFAE 90.7 - Charlotte's NPR News Source

Charlotte wants to build a new bridge over U.S. 74 | Charlotte Observer

Charlotte would likely get a Freeway cap like the below but a bit nicer. Probably wont get anything you'd see in an Amsterdam or some of the largest liberal US cities that people share on twitter that advocate for caps that would be more decent. But pedestrian bridges on the other hand, I think Charlotte can get a dope cool one. The benefits of high cost areas is you get cooler toys. Jack the taxes, get a moat and more light rail lines. Otherwise, dope bridges at a fraction of the cost'll do.

Pittsburgh is the latest city to gain a freeway capping park

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

The downside of bridges is that, when running over 277, they will never be pleasant places to be. The noise from the highway is awfully loud and its a lousy place to be breathing if you have asthma. So while bridges might make it safer to walk across, those spaces will just be locations that people want to leave as quickly as possible (unlike some really nice pedestrian bridges in Chattanooga, Nashville or Greenville SC.)

I agree for the most part, but I don't see a game changing or even that pleasant of a cap Charlotte would build. Maybe the best option would be to just completely decommission that portion of 277 (in purple) and make it a boulevard instead (raised up level to the rest of the streets). And no caps.

Though with over 100,000 workers and special events, can the remaining portions of 277 handle that volume of people coming in?

image.png.382e8cf667ab15a8f174d3f4544b6a94.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I agree for the most part, but I don't see a game changing or even that pleasant of a cap Charlotte would build. Maybe the best option would be to just completely decommission that portion of 277 (in purple) and make it a boulevard instead (raised up level to the rest of the streets). And no caps.

Though with over 100,000 workers and special events, can the remaining portions of 277 handle that volume of people coming in!

I agree that the noise and air quality issues exist with realistic caps as well.

As for road capacity, yea we have plenty -- the surface grid is very robust. Particularly with the Silver Line, a few more uptown hotels and hybrid work. Looking at traffic today suggests that Southend is the bottleneck these days, and I think 277 arguably makes that situation worse.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

If part of 277 was decommissioned, I think a section of the interstate (maybe nearest the Ally development between Tryon and College) could be turned into a pretty cool skate park.  The topography of that area could be utilized in such a way that could make for an awesome park for skaters, cyclists, etc.  That area with the steep hillsides sort of reminds me of the LA river basin.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Y'all know I don't get into the river on 277 discussion but this is for real in the Netherlands.   How about a river cap??

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Frevue%2Fitems%2Fimages%2F018%2F525%2F407%2Fmail%2F098D1EB2-3898-44F8-9D9B-FDA34D3F4D4B.jpeg%3F1665696343&t=1665702052&ymreqid=d07d9ac7-b224-7051-1c28-55001c017300&sig=ZNNe9jj_7eFf.0QTLq2sgg--~D

Flood uptown & SouthEnd except 277 lol.  Uptown and SouthEnd would finally be connected if flooded like this picture 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Haha 3