The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

A friend called me the other day and said that Prada was opening a store in The Mall at Green Hills. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I highly doubt it unless Prada is about to do some sort of very major expansion. There are a very limited number of stand-alone Prada stores in North America. Places like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston and Philadelphia don't even have one. So, unless a bunch of country music stars have been griping in their ears about having a store in Nashville (highly unlikely), I wouldn't think our fair metro would be anywhere on Prada much less near the top of Prada's list.

We'll just have to be content getting Prada occasionally at local boutiques and getting more of their accessories when Nordstrom opens.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt it unless Prada is about to do some sort of very major expansion. There are a very limited number of stand-alone Prada stores in North America. Places like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston and Philadelphia don't even have one. So, unless a bunch of country music stars have been griping in their ears about having a store in Nashville (highly unlikely), I wouldn't think our fair metro would be anywhere on Prada much less near the top of Prada's list.

We'll just have to be content getting Prada occasionally at local boutiques and getting more of their accessories when Nordstrom opens.

Ok, thanks. I'm not a big fan of Prada anyway, but wondered if anybody had heard the same information. I'm not sure where my friend got that information, but he called me while he was at the mall.

At any rate, I'd much rather have a Hugo Boss or Armani over Prada any day.

I was in an Armani Express in Buenos Aires, and I loved it, and I really think that it could be viable in TMAGH. The prices were... high... but not eye-watering (note - I only buy stuff on sale so everything seems high to me), and the clothes weren't so out there that you'd look stupid wearing them around here. I didn't buy anything, but I recognized potential in it (I'm a J. Crew guy myself).

I love Armani Exchange and used to visit the one at the Somerset Collection near Detroit all the time when I lived in Ann Arbor. I got my favorite pair of jeans there. It is a store we should have in the Nashville market. It's not high-end on the level of, say, an actual Giorgio Armani store but it's a mid-level niche that would be much welcomed at TMAGH or even perhaps somewhere else such as the Gulch. I'd also love to have a Club Monaco here as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if Davis Street intends to renovate TMAGH anytime? Love the mall, but it is not a very attractive center (IMO). Obviously, times are not good now for pumping dollars into anything -- just wondering if a remodel/renovation was part of the plan. Even the newer wing already seems outdated. The Dillards store, although a separate issue, has really seen better days.

Davis Street does a tremendous job and has brought Nashville much-deserved retail. Being from St Louis, TMAGH is a much more well-rounded center than Plaza Frontenac in St Louis (also a Davis Street property), even though it has two high-end dpt stores (Saks, NM) But, compared to Plaza Frontenac (again, mentioned only because owned and managed by same company), TMAGH is a real ugly duckling. Plaza Frontenac is gorgeous. Any insight? Not that it's important or critical...just hope it is a more desirable mall aesthetically one day since Nashville still deserves a high quality property all around. Again, regardless, I still commend Davis Street in nearly every way. Not to get off topic, but compared to CBL which delivers mandane (Galleria could/should be soooooo much more than it is) Davis Street delivers standout.

Does anyone know if Davis Street intends to renovate TMAGH anytime? Love the mall, but it is not a very attractive center (IMO). Obviously, times are not good now for pumping dollars into anything -- just wondering if a remodel/renovation was part of the plan. Even the newer wing already seems outdated. The Dillards store, although a separate issue, has really seen better days.

Davis Street does a tremendous job and has brought Nashville much-deserved retail. Being from St Louis, TMAGH is a much more well-rounded center than Plaza Frontenac in St Louis (also a Davis Street property), even though it has two high-end dpt stores (Saks, NM) But, compared to Plaza Frontenac (again, mentioned only because owned and managed by same company), TMAGH is a real ugly duckling. Plaza Frontenac is gorgeous. Any insight? Not that it's important or critical...just hope it is a more desirable mall aesthetically one day since Nashville still deserves a high quality property all around. Again, regardless, I still commend Davis Street in nearly every way. Not to get off topic, but compared to CBL which delivers mandane (Galleria could/should be soooooo much more than it is) Davis Street delivers standout.

The only mention of renovation that I've heard about is that Davis Street intends to change the mall court at the main entrance when the Nordstrom store is built; it has been delayed one year due to the economy. If you look there right now, obviously those windows will have to go. I have not heard of any intention to renovate the entire mall interior. The new wing was matched up with the existing mall when it opened in 2005.

As for Dillard's, do you think the store's interior is dated? I believe that it has the typical early 1990's Dillard's design when they still used gray tile. Dillard's stores built today generally have earthtone interiors and all neutral colors.

I had even questioned if Dillard's might have to make some changes with Nordstrom coming in due to increased competition. But as you say, now is not a good time to spend money on renovations of that kind.

I'm so pumped about Nordies coming, but I'm going to miss those windows. That's one of my favorite views! I would agree that Dillards seems dated, but that's just how they were back then. I think that TMAGH would be well-served to follow some of the renovations done to Cool Springs Galeria (that's all they should emulate though!) like the nice wood floors, stacked stone, and more creme-colored tile and marble.

I'm so pumped about Nordies coming, but I'm going to miss those windows. That's one of my favorite views! I would agree that Dillards seems dated, but that's just how they were back then. I think that TMAGH would be well-served to follow some of the renovations done to Cool Springs Galeria (that's all they should emulate though!) like the nice wood floors, stacked stone, and more creme-colored tile and marble.

Hahaha! Cracked me up. Okay, I'm going to get off-topic anyway. Is there ANY hope for the proposed "lifestyle center" addition at The Galleria? Any rumors? Crate & Barrel maybe? A similarly-sized city like Charlotte still has a lot more retail offerings than Nashville. Hopefully, after the recession, Nashville will shine.

Yeah, actually, there's already been one anounced!

http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=1005

That's an archived story from the Tennessean about the expansion. I live very close to CSG, but make the drive to MAGH because the stores are just so much better. I mean, maybe Cool Springs could lure me back if they recruit a J. Crew, too, but until then...

Yeah, actually, there's already been one anounced!

http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=1005

That's an archived story from the Tennessean about the expansion. I live very close to CSG, but make the drive to MAGH because the stores are just so much better. I mean, maybe Cool Springs could lure me back if they recruit a J. Crew, too, but until then...

Yes, I knew about the expansion. I was asking about any hopes for it being any good. CBL just seems incapable of attracting key retailers. They are a disgrace. I'd love to see a J. Crew in Franklin too. Hopefully, CBL will surprise us. Franklin certainly seems capable of attracting the higher-end and the trendy stores that Green Hills has. If Simon or General Growth or Taubman owned the Galleria, it would already be that way. But...that's not the case. If CBL is incapable of doing Franklin full justice, maybe Southern Land Co can continue to attract key retailers to its small lifestyle center (McEwen T/C). I guess Anthropologie has already been announced. I think J. Crew and Anthropologie usually like to be together. Anyway, like you said it would be nice for Franklin to become a real retail hotspot (other than mostly big-box and ubiquitous) like Green Hills in the interest of convenience and options.

I doubt it; they just don't do high-end. I mean, the Galleria and one in - I think - Birmingham are their only "Premium" malls. So, I just don't think they have the connections with good retailers. I can see something like Coldwater Creek, but no J. Crew. The clientele may have similar incomes in Franklin and Green Hills, but the shops they want are totally different. I love Green Hills, but it's much more conspicuous consumption there. Cool Springs and Franklin are so family-centric that most of what is in Green Hills would just not fly; there's not a desire - for the most part - for boutiques. DT Franklin occupies most of that niche anyway. Southern Land, on the other hand, is the bomb. They'll be the ones to bring us something good in Franklin; they just do such high quality work.

No sweat though, I enjoy the drive to Green Hills. I love Hill Place, there's good food in Green Hills, the movie theatre is cheaper than Carmike in Cool Springs ($9.75 for a movie is insane), and the country in between is incredible.

B'ham Galleria is General Growth.

But yeah, totally agree that CBL doesn't do high-end. And agree that Franklin and GH are two different markets, although both affluent. Also, any major name is going to want to go along with Nordies...not Penneys. I mean, if Ralph Lauren were to come to town, I don't think it would be a difficult decision as to where the boutique were to go.

Totally agree.

I think GH looks pretty classy overall, simple, but well done. (though I would like to see the brass handrails go) the cool springs reno, while still looking current, looks rough around the edges, those tiles aren't really tile, they're formed and pressed, like pressed concrete which was installed over the original terrazzo material, both the tile and wood are chipped or look dirty in many areas, I don't think CBL puts the same amount of attention to detail that DLS does.

I think GH looks pretty classy overall, simple, but well done. (though I would like to see the brass handrails go) the cool springs reno, while still looking current, looks rough around the edges, those tiles aren't really tile, they're formed and pressed, like pressed concrete which was installed over the original terrazzo material, both the tile and wood are chipped or look dirty in many areas, I don't think CBL puts the same amount of attention to detail that DLS does.

GGP has done an execptional job with renovationg Stones River Mall and in my opinion looks better than CSG. The interior is warm and contemporary and the new life style center adds new life to the old mall. Being a smaller mall, however, SRM will never be the regional draw that CSG or GH is. Had Simon or Taubman been the owners we would see a few more anchors, maybe a second level, and a parking garage. Upscale or not, the mall like the Avenues is missing key anchors to bring in the crowd. GH does have a 90s look with the white interior and brass handrails. Nordstrom will be a great addition.

GGP has done an execptional job with renovationg Stones River Mall and in my opinion looks better than CSG. The interior is warm and contemporary and the new life style center adds new life to the old mall. Being a smaller mall, however, SRM will never be the regional draw that CSG or GH is. Had Simon or Taubman been the owners we would see a few more anchors, maybe a second level, and a parking garage. Upscale or not, the mall like the Avenues is missing key anchors to bring in the crowd. GH does have a 90s look with the white interior and brass handrails. Nordstrom will be a great addition.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Nordstrom comming at all. We don't even know if Dillard's will even remain...with this economy Macy's and Dillard's may merge leaving empty mall anchors all over the south and southwest where both operate. That's the talk on the street!

I wouldn't hold my breath for Nordstrom comming at all. We don't even know if Dillard's will even remain...with this economy Macy's and Dillard's may merge leaving empty mall anchors all over the south and southwest where both operate. That's the talk on the street!

I agree, though I hope it does happen, but this reminds me very much of Macy's coming to Bellevue center in the mid 90's. (which didn't come)

Archived