The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

According to this article, The Container Store is taking over Davis Kidd's space at Green Hills.

The Container Store taking former Davis-Kidd space at Green Hills mall

I believe they're still waiting to make the announcement that the lease is signed before it's actually official. A blog from the Tennessean said at the end of last week that they are expected to sign the lease this week but we'll just have to wait and see if that's the case.

The Container Store was actually a possibility I saw for the Davis-Kidd space. Others I also wondered about were H&M and Crate & Barrel.

OMG! A container store in the Green Hills mall. Wow! I thought this was going to be the up-scale mall for Nashville. If we want containers, we can go to Wal-Mart or Target. I am so disappointed the mall owners would allow this type of store there. Very disappointing.

The Container Store is much more than containers, and it's way better than a similar section at Walmart or Target. Also, one is opening at SouthPark, which is a mall that is considerably more upscale than Green Hills, so I wish you would do your research before making an ignorant statement. I must admit though you probably are much better at critiquing clothing stores. But still comparing The Container Store to Walmart/Target is like comparing Ross or Marshall's to Nordstrom.

Thanks for dropping in, ct. You said it better than I could have. I don't know how long SouthPark will be considerably more upscale. The Nordstrom will open in September. I was trying on watches yesterday (only for fun, I might add) at Omega, then cruised Tiffany and Louis Vouitton as I strolled past the Michael Kors and Tory Burch projects. SouthPark is beautiful and spacious, but TMAGH is definitely headed in the right direction. It sure doesn't seem like the same place anymore.

Come back again, please.

Thanks for dropping in, ct. You said it better than I could have. I don't know how long SouthPark will be considerably more upscale. The Nordstrom will open in September. I was trying on watches yesterday (only for fun, I might add) at Omega, then cruised Tiffany and Louis Vouitton as I strolled past the Michael Kors and Tory Burch projects. SouthPark is beautiful and spacious, but TMAGH is definitely headed in the right direction. It sure doesn't seem like the same place anymore.

Come back again, please.

I would say for a while longer, at least until Nashville gets a luxury department store like Neiman Marcus. For now, they're not that far apart. I would say Green Hill's problem is that it's a small mall, and since it's upscale, I suppose that it gets less business than a regular mall like Cool Springs. It's pretty much the same way with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. Also, the lack of department store choices as well. SouthPark has a larger Macy's and Dillard's, and 3 other choices. Belk at SouthPark is absolutely more upscale than any of the stores at Green Hills until Nordstrom opens. I hope Green Hills is fortunate enough to get a Belk flagship store (a "real" one like at SouthPark) that carries brands like Theory, Salvatore Ferragamo, Michael Kors, and BCBG (just like the one at SouthPark). However, Nashville will still need a Hermes, Ralph Lauren, St John, etc. or something that Charlotte doesn't have yet to surpass it or be similar. You also have to put the fact in that the Charlotte boutiques are more likely, but not necessarily, larger.

I would say for a while longer, at least until Nashville gets a luxury department store like Neiman Marcus. For now, they're not that far apart. I would say Green Hill's problem is that it's a small mall, and since it's upscale, I suppose that it gets less business than a regular mall like Cool Springs. It's pretty much the same way with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. Also, the lack of department store choices as well. SouthPark has a larger Macy's and Dillard's, and 3 other choices. Belk at SouthPark is absolutely more upscale than any of the stores at Green Hills until Nordstrom opens. I hope Green Hills is fortunate enough to get a Belk flagship store (a "real" one like at SouthPark) that carries brands like Theory, Salvatore Ferragamo, Michael Kors, and BCBG (just like the one at SouthPark). However, Nashville will still need a Hermes, Ralph Lauren, St John, etc. or something that Charlotte doesn't have yet to surpass it or be similar. You also have to put the fact in that the Charlotte boutiques are more likely, but not necessarily, larger.

I don't believe that Green Hills has room for another department store considering that Nordstrom is taking up that surface parking lot that I hated to see go. The Mall at Green Hills is on such a small amount of acreage and has to rely heavily on parking garages. It generally seems impossible to find a parking place on the streetscape side off Hillboro Road so I generally now just go straight to the mall parking garage or Dillard's parking deck.

I've never been to SouthPark (or Charlotte) but have learned quite a bit over the years about SouthPark online. It really seems to be a shopping attraction worth going to.

The Container Store is much more than containers, and it's way better than a similar section at Walmart or Target. Also, one is opening at SouthPark, which is a mall that is considerably more upscale than Green Hills, so I wish you would do your research before making an ignorant statement. I must admit though you probably are much better at critiquing clothing stores. But still comparing The Container Store to Walmart/Target is like comparing Ross or Marshall's to Nordstrom.

You obviously have your opinion of what YOU consider up-scale and I have mine. Unfortunately, I don't consider the Container Store upscale. I guess my shopping experiences in Paris, Italy, and other high fashion locations have given me a different perspective on what's upscale. Sorry.

According to this article, The Container Store is taking over Davis Kidd's space at Green Hills.

The Container Store taking former Davis-Kidd space at Green Hills mall

I heard just the other day that there was talk of The Container Store considering The Gulch.. I'll have to ask at home tonight where that story came from. Apparently, their people were looking at some vacant (or soon to vacant?) Gulch property but weren't prepared to make an announcement yet.. although, this looks suspiciously like an announcement! :)

Correction.. I went home last night and mentioned this to my partner and he said "oh, yeah, that's it... it's Green Hills, not the Gulch".. Guess I should've looked before I leaped, or something..

At any rate, I can't wait for the container store.. was hoping for it to be in the neighborhood, but alas!

David

You obviously have your opinion of what YOU consider up-scale and I have mine. Unfortunately, I don't consider the Container Store upscale. I guess my shopping experiences in Paris, Italy, and other high fashion locations have given me a different perspective on what's upscale. Sorry.

Oh my gosh I can't believe that the Container store is opening at The Mall at Green Hills! I mean after all, it is probably the most upscale mall in the country. Especially with all the incredibly nice strip-malls and Kroger around it! But seriously, don't act like Nashville is SUCH a large city and Green Hills is SO upscale. A few months ago I looked around the area on Google Earth Streetview, and I was immediately disappointed when I saw Kroger and all the crappy looking strip malls around the mall. I was definitely expecting better. SouthPark is completely different, an upscale, somewhat urban (and somewhat suburban) office park area. It's going to take years to get the area to look as good as SouthPark and it's absolutely no Buckhead. But in the next 10 years I think that the SouthPark area will become more like Buckhead, and Green Hills will become more like SouthPark.

And just so you know, FromParkAveToTN, I shop at LV, Burberry, Nordstrom, etc. occasionally so I know what upscale is.

OMG!!, what is all of this " my city is better that yours" junk. This is the Southeastern United States and we should all be rooting for one another. Personally I am glad to see that luxury choices are being offered to Nashville and Charlotte. Because it has ALWAYS been Atlanta (Buckhead) and Miami (Bal Harbour).

But to be quite honest I sort of understand this, Titians vs the Panther deal. Back in the 70's Atlanta and Miami were both in a war for the first rapid transit system, the tallest office tower, the most upscale specialty retailer. But all that is long gone. Atlanta and Miami are now almost identical as thier metro populations are hovering around 6 million and they are both Beta- II World Cities.

OK, now shake hands and make up! :console:

Oh my gosh I can't believe that the Container store is opening at The Mall at Green Hills! I mean after all, it is probably the most upscale mall in the country. Especially with all the incredibly nice strip-malls and Kroger around it! But seriously, don't act like Nashville is SUCH a large city and Green Hills is SO upscale. A few months ago I looked around the area on Google Earth Streetview, and I was immediately disappointed when I saw Kroger and all the crappy looking strip malls around the mall. I was definitely expecting better. SouthPark is completely different, an upscale, somewhat urban (and somewhat suburban) office park area. It's going to take years to get the area to look as good as SouthPark and it's absolutely no Buckhead. But in the next 10 years I think that the SouthPark area will become more like Buckhead, and Green Hills will become more like SouthPark.

And just so you know, FromParkAveToTN, I shop at LV, Burberry, Nordstrom, etc. occasionally so I know what upscale is.

Again, this thread is about TMAGH not SouthPark. I'm in agreement with Dave, this thread needed some air.The south east should continue to support each other when new developments arise. As TMAGH becomes even more high end, it has direct support from Western KY, Northern MS, Northern AL, and to a lesser extent Eastern AR and Southern MO as a regional shopping mecca. People from these areas depend on TMAGH for their shopping and entertainment needs so it is not only a Nashville thing. Without "the crappy looking strip malls" which includes many local businesses such as LEVY's there would be no high end shopping between Atlanta and Cincinnati. Therefore it is critical to support the city when new business enters the 25th largest city's market.

FromParkAveToTN always suggests stores that neither Nashville nor Charlotte could currently support. I think you may have misinterpreted his or her desire to have very high-end shopping and read into it some sort implicit uppityness from Nashvillians.

We're very cognizant of the Green Hills streetscapes and have been complaining about them for years so you're preaching to the choir. We've been patiently awaiting a Hillsboro Pike makeover for quite a while. :whistling: Green Hills and SouthPark are similar in many ways but completely different beasts in others. Green Hills has a relatively small but well-developed, older retail core that's anchored by the Mall and Hillsboro High School right across from it on a heavily-trafficked but small five-lane artery. Although Green Hills can and certainly will look nicer as it evolves, it's probably not going to have the large thoroughfares surrounding a huge mall like SouthPark. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing either.

Green Hills has had some great developments like the Hill Center and Bedford Commons in recent years that fit in well with the area and will be good studies for future Green Hills developments. Before that can happen, some of these older commercial would have to be replaced. This will likely happen over time but consider that there are plenty of local staples in Green Hills like The Bluebird Cafe, The Donut Den, the aforementioned Levy's, etc. that could likely be uprooted in the process.

FromParkAveToTN always suggests stores that neither Nashville nor Charlotte could currently support. I think you may have misinterpreted his or her desire to have very high-end shopping and read into it some sort implicit uppityness from Nashvillians.

We're very cognizant of the Green Hills streetscapes and have been complaining about them for years so you're preaching to the choir. We've been patiently awaiting a Hillsboro Pike makeover for quite a while. :whistling: Green Hills and SouthPark are similar in many ways but completely different beasts in others. Green Hills has a relatively small but well-developed, older retail core that's anchored by the Mall and Hillsboro High School right across from it on a heavily-trafficked but small five-lane artery. Although Green Hills can and certainly will look nicer as it evolves, it's probably not going to have the large thoroughfares surrounding a huge mall like SouthPark. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing either.

Green Hills has had some great developments like the Hill Center and Bedford Commons in recent years that fit in well with the area and will be good studies for future Green Hills developments. Before that can happen, some of these older commercial would have to be replaced. This will likely happen over time but consider that there are plenty of local staples in Green Hills like The Bluebird Cafe, The Donut Den, the aforementioned Levy's, etc. that could likely be uprooted in the process.

Just so you know, I was mainly directed to FromPark....TN, not anyone else. You guys don't think that Nashville could support those types of stores, and don't act like you're better than everyone else (like he/she does).

Oh, Kenneth, you should have seen the forums in '05.

It was like the WWE on steroids sometimes. Sent a couple of moderators over the edge. lol

John, thanks for reopening the thread. It was appearing to need a breather.

I thought a 24 hour break would serve to "calm" things down. Lets keep it civil. I know nothing about fashion anymore as I have not worked high end retail in 16 years, so I really do not have an opinion on what is upscale and what is not. My main concern about the entire Green Hills area is that it is not pedestrian friendly enough, and street scape planning is poor. One can drive by something and totally miss it. Local merchants need to demand better traffic planning and more pedestrian walkways including one spanning above Hillsboro Road like the two pedestrian bridges in the Vanderbilt area. Hill Center is a start. Personally, I prefer a shopping experience where I can "stroll" rather than running to try to keep from being run over!

BR

• 2 weeks later...

The civic leaders did something here in Buckhead that might just work in the Green Hills area. They created what is known as a "Self Taxing District", where all businesses contribute a certain amount of money into the entity that makes most of the vital decisions that affect the Buckhead District. Right now they are in phase II of what is known as the Peachtree Corridor. Plantings are in the median of Peachtree Road which is now Peachtree Boulevard. Also there are bike lanes, very wide sidewalks designed with cement and brick, every so many feet you will find designer benches to sit on and rest, along with trash receptacles. There are also trees planted along the wide sidewalks to offer shade from the hot baking sun, also new designer bus stop shelters have been installed by MARTA, all the wood poles are gone and utilities have been buried underground. New designer street lighting has been installed, and even the traffic signals are now hanging from upscale post, along with new street signage. It has made such a difference to the area and you don't have to worry any more about walking out of your hotel or what ever business you may be in, to head down or up the street to another business like a restaurant or sidewalk cafe without being mowed down by a car, and trying to cross the street with the same worry.

So it's only an idea for the Green Hills area, but it just might work for Nashville the way it has worked here in the Buckhead District, plus a project like this in Nashville might catapulte the area into being very desirable to developers for new high-rise hotels, office towers, condo towers, restaurants, and more retail locations, and hopefully getting the attention of upscale retailers to set up shop in Nashville.

In any regard, I hope something will work out because I see Nashville and Green Hills as having so much potential. It would be a shame to loose that opportunity.:)

The civic leaders did something here in Buckhead that might just work in the Green Hills area. They created what is known as a "Self Taxing District", where all businesses contribute a certain amount of money into the entity that makes most of the vital decisions that affect the Buckhead District. Right now they are in phase II of what is known as the Peachtree Corridor. Plantings are in the median of Peachtree Road which is now Peachtree Boulevard. Also there are bike lanes, very wide sidewalks designed with cement and brick, every so many feet you will find designer benches to sit on and rest, along with trash receptacles. There are also trees planted along the wide sidewalks to offer shade from the hot baking sun, also new designer bus stop shelters have been installed by MARTA, all the wood poles are gone and utilities have been buried underground. New designer street lighting has been installed, and even the traffic signals are now hanging from upscale post, along with new street signage. It has made such a difference to the area and you don't have to worry any more about walking out of your hotel or what ever business you may be in, to head down or up the street to another business like a restaurant or sidewalk cafe without being mowed down by a car, and trying to cross the street with the same worry.

So it's only an idea for the Green Hills area, but it just might work for Nashville the way it has worked here in the Buckhead District, plus a project like this in Nashville might catapulte the area into being very desirable to developers for new high-rise hotels, office towers, condo towers, restaurants, and more retail locations, and hopefully getting the attention of upscale retailers to set up shop in Nashville.

In any regard, I hope something will work out because I see Nashville and Green Hills as having so much potential. It would be a shame to loose that opportunity.:)

Love this idea. It would be nice to see the area with some freshining. The business in this area are a good fit, it's just that the area does not look up to par when compared to the suburban malls. Not sure if a boulevard style would work for this highly urbanized area. I could see five lanes with sidewalks and bike lanes, with at least two true cross streets and some kind of loop that would make it much easier to navigate the mall. The surface parking and short streets have hindered this area for quite some time, and I still don't understand why this area is neglected when it receives so much traffic. Underground utilities please!

I think that is essentially what many of us envision for Green Hills: an improved Hillsboro Pike, great pedestrian-friendly streetscapes that invite folks out of their vehicles, buried lines, uniform signage, more retail options built to the street like the Hill Center with parking hidden and wrapped, improved mass transit options, smart residential development so people can live where they play and/or work. I'd like to see another outdoor center where the Kroger and its' parking lot is located to connect the Hill Center and the Mall. To be honest, the Mall should remain about the same size and future retail should go outside but within walking distance. The concept of the shopping mall under a roof seems old hat. Plus, some people have already began to walk back and forth between the Hill Center and the Mall. Green Hills should be laid out in such a fashion to encourage even more to do so.

The Buckhead idea sounds similar to what Nashville did with the Gulch in creating the GBID.. and the CBID for that matter.. these are both more or less managed by the downtown partnership.

As for Green Hills.. I only have one negative thing to say about recent developments.. the new Nordstrom being built seems have a very long wall of nothing along the narrow sidewalk on Abbott Martin.. kindof a shame thus far.. but it still has a few months to be complete.. we'll see.

I heard just the other day that there was talk of The Container Store considering The Gulch.. I'll have to ask at home tonight where that story came from. Apparently, their people were looking at some vacant (or soon to vacant?) Gulch property but weren't prepared to make an announcement yet.. although, this looks suspiciously like an announcement! :)

Correction.. I went home last night and mentioned this to my partner and he said "oh, yeah, that's it... it's Green Hills, not the Gulch".. Guess I should've looked before I leaped, or something..

At any rate, I can't wait for the container store.. was hoping for it to be in the neighborhood, but alas!

David

Click below to view something from the Container Store's website:

http://www.containerstore.com/locations/showStore.htm?store=NSH

Heck, the majority of the DT area (Vandy-21st, West End, etc.) could use these ideas!! I've been taking pictures recently of some of the area and freakin' fugly power lines and poles are EVERYWHERE!!!!! You'll see how bad they are when I post some more pictures. It is amazing how large an impact simple, pedestrian friendly street scapes can have. See Hillsboro village. LARGE, WIDE sidewalks, no power lines or gaudy power line poles. Imagine if areas like this had no power lines and cafe type sidewalks (well, where cafe type sidewalks can work).

Archived