The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

Wasn't there a plan to improve the streetscape of the Green Hills area? I agree that area needs more sidewalks, less/more uniform signs, and strong traffic-control plan. I bet not having the latter seriously frustrates getting the first two things accomplished. I can't even dream of how much of a challenge it will be to re-route the Green Hills traffic so that proper infrastructure improvements can be made along Hillsboro Pike. It needs to start somewhere though if the Mall and the surrounding area are ever going to live out their potential.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can pretty much walk on sidewalks till you get to 440. I think there is even a sidewalk over 440. Once you pass 440 on Hillsboro Rd. there are no sidewalks on either side. The road is a pain to even drive on because it seems to narrow in that area too. I definitely see the need to add sidewalks around the mall area and all of the main roads there too. I would hate to walk there for fear of being hit by one of the crazy drivers in that area.

The entire traffic flow around the mall and Hillsboro Rd. has to be reworked IMO. Its not even safe to walk across the parking lot at the mall either.

Adding traffic lanes would definitely be a priority over adding sidewalks, but there's not room for either. The only solution would be for the city to buy out the very, very expensive property along Hillsboro Rd, or possibly Woodmont, to add room for increased traffic. Outside of that, the only things to consider are the ridiculous ideas like tunnels and double-decker roads. Mistakes were made a long long time ago for not improving the infrastructure to accompany the growth in this area, and it's really too late now.

Adding traffic lanes would definitely be a priority over adding sidewalks, but there's not room for either. The only solution would be for the city to buy out the very, very expensive property along Hillsboro Rd, or possibly Woodmont, to add room for increased traffic. Outside of that, the only things to consider are the ridiculous ideas like tunnels and double-decker roads. Mistakes were made a long long time ago for not improving the infrastructure to accompany the growth in this area, and it's really too late now.

Actually.. the thing to consider is adding sidewalks and better mass transit... i think thats the real solution. If we can decrease the amount of people who drive from one place in green hills to another place in green hills... or people who drive from downtown/hillsboro village to green hills... then the traffic situation will be much improved, in my opinion.

You can pretty much walk on sidewalks till you get to 440. I think there is even a sidewalk over 440. Once you pass 440 on Hillsboro Rd. there are no sidewalks on either side. The road is a pain to even drive on because it seems to narrow in that area too. I definitely see the need to add sidewalks around the mall area and all of the main roads there too. I would hate to walk there for fear of being hit by one of the crazy drivers in that area.

The entire traffic flow around the mall and Hillsboro Rd. has to be reworked IMO. Its not even safe to walk across the parking lot at the mall either.

That is correct and I am pretty sure sidewalks take you over 440 if my memory serves me correct. Walking past that point to Green Hills involves walking along right-aways, parking lots, etc. It is a decent and fairly easy walk up till then, past 440 though it's just not feasible or advisable. I wouldn't do it again. LOL It was a fun walk to carry out with all you get to see and notice, but harder than I expected.

That is correct and I am pretty sure sidewalks take you over 440 if my memory serves me correct. Walking past that point to Green Hills involves walking along right-aways, parking lots, etc. It is a decent and fairly easy walk up till then, past 440 though it's just not feasible or advisable. I wouldn't do it again. LOL It was a fun walk to carry out with all you get to see and notice, but harder than I expected.

lol... you funny...

that 440 interchange is a tad bit scary to me even in a car... so i dont know if i'd want to be walking across it either :blink:

Actually.. the thing to consider is adding sidewalks and better mass transit...

Seriously, how many people are going to walk from Hillsboro Village to Green Hills mall? And I doubt you'd get much result from busing people over there. Maybe if there was outlying parking and a light rail system that ran right to the mall, that might be an alternate solution, but let's face it, there's no stopping that car traffic on Hillsboro. It's not just people going to the mall, but to all the residences, offices, schools, etc that the road leads to.

Seriously, how many people are going to walk from Hillsboro Village to Green Hills mall? And I doubt you'd get much result from busing people over there. Maybe if there was outlying parking and a light rail system that ran right to the mall, that might be an alternate solution, but let's face it, there's no stopping that car traffic on Hillsboro. It's not just people going to the mall, but to all the residences, offices, schools, etc that the road leads to.

No doubt, its more than just the mall... but i wasnt speaking about just the mall anyway, but the whole green hills area.

i also wasnt suggesting walking from hillsboro to green hills persay... and i agree, a regular ole city bus would probably not work so well... (besides, there are probably already regular bus lines there).

i was thinking more along the lines of light rail... or... like in franklin, a trolley system going around green hills & hillsboro village... i could see that being more desirable than a 'city bus', at least to the type of crowd we're trying to appeal to in these areas.

The Belmont 2 and the Hillsboro 7 (I am not going to go look right at this minute) will take you most places in Green Hills. I am not sure of the "local stop" fees. It s not "fancy schmancy" it is a city service all ready in place, and it keeps a nearly perfect like clockwork schedule. Now selling the greater Green Hills community on the very THOUGHT of parking say for instance ~on the upper deck at Dillards and Catching a bus there at Kroger's and making the loop until you can walk a block over to the library from the stop there in front of the tire shore (the name escapes me right now). Then crossing the street and catching a bus down to the new development... and having a bite to eat and shopping at Whole Foods etc... and then picking up your bus again at the Y and riding back down to Dillards ~good luck getting the gas guzzlers to even consider it.

Years ago I took my daughter from an apartment we rented at Sweetbriar and Hillsboro Road; about noon we got off at Krystal; and "did the Green Hills thing"; ending with shopping for our supper items at Hills. I had to call my husband to come after us at about 4:30. The traffic on Hillsboro Road was totally pedestrian unaware and aggressive; there were no sidewalks except for a small strip in front of Hillsboro High School. Oddly it is better than then... That was about 13 years ago. I am so proud of our areas bike lanes, etc ( I still think that kids under 6th grade should be able to ride on the sidewalks.)

Personally I like Green Hills just like it is. It beats the socks of of shopping at Cool Springs, Hickory Hollow, Rivergate, yadda yadda. The only place I like better is over on Bandywood and we should all be praying that the Vandy development at 100 oaks (which at one time had every high end store you could want including Steif-Jacquard) will not drive the prices of rent up for some of the nicest shops and Restaurants all of Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the site, but heard from very reliable source, an architect, that Nordstrom was near committing to the Green Hills Mall in the area on Abbott Martin that is now a surface lot. They will complete two more levels of parking beside Macy's on Abbott Martin first and then start on Nordstroms. I know we prefer not to quote rumors, but his one has serious inside information and has been reliable on many other local projects.

New to the site, but heard from very reliable source, an architect, that Nordstrom was near committing to the Green Hills Mall in the area on Abbott Martin that is now a surface lot. They will complete two more levels of parking beside Macy's on Abbott Martin first and then start on Nordstroms. I know we prefer not to quote rumors, but his one has serious inside information and has been reliable on many other local projects.

...and a 180,000 sq. ft. Belk.

Hmm. Hope this rumor is true. That's the spot that seems the most logical for a mall expansion.

Indeed, it is. Here's a graphic from Davis Street Landing's website that I came across depicting the same thing.

ghm.jpg

But where is this 180K Belk going to be?

BTW, there never was a Belk @ GHM.

Speaking of this area, what is going up across the street from the Dilliard's garage? I saw that the lot is being developed and there is an RC Matthews sign. I would believe the Nordstrom rumors and doubt the Belk rumors fwiw. But we shall see.

Here is an article from today's Daily News Journal mentioning the recent additions and future proposed additions to TMAGH. I believe the mall is finally stepping up to the plate. Besides the new stores and renovations, I'd like to see a masterplan developed for parking, greenery, low beam down lighting, sidewalks and pedestrian crossing. The aesthetics must be improved, especially on Hillsboro Rd. You should feel like you are in an upscale place outside and inside the mall.

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../804130322/1088

Tennessean article on Green Hills growth as retail destination

Attached is a Tennessean article about Green Hills's growth as an elite shopping destination, which includs yet another mention of the Nordstrom's rumor, and favorable comparisons to Cool Springs.

Tennessean article about potential Hill Center-type redevelopment in Green Hills

The second article is about a potential redevelopment of some property along Hillsborough Pike into another Hill Center type redevelopment. The inability to walk anywhere in Green Hills at present is noted!

Tennessean article on Green Hills growth as retail destination

Attached is a Tennessean article about Green Hills's growth as an elite shopping destination, which includs yet another mention of the Nordstrom's rumor, and favorable comparisons to Cool Springs.

Tennessean article about potential Hill Center-type redevelopment in Green Hills

The second article is about a potential redevelopment of some property along Hillsborough Pike into another Hill Center type redevelopment. The inability to walk anywhere in Green Hills at present is noted!

Very exciting stuff! Not that I can afford to shop at any of these places, lol... but I think its great to see this taking place... Green Hills as a pedestrian friendly, urban area sounds awesome to me...

I still think better connectivity to Hillsboro Village and other hot spots will become important in the near future, as well.

Actually... I was in Dallas last week, and the Trolley idea that I mentioned a while back is actually in place down there! I swear I had absolutely no idea before going there.. but its true. It stops at many of the trendy/popular spots of Dallas, in the very trendy Uptown Dallas. Theirs is a true streetcar system, but still.. Nashville could definitely mimic this using the streetcar buses like Franklin has. Here's a link... Uptown Trolley

Archived