The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of TJ Maxx. I came across this interesting article about how the recession is hitting it:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/diffi...if_t_j_maxx_hit

"Financial analysts, observing more than 100 locations nationwide, cited large quantities of off-brand and wildly scattered merchandise as evidence that T.J. Maxx has either been devastated by the economic downturn, or is carrying on as usual in spite of it."

Got to love The Onion

Speaking of TJ Maxx. I came across this interesting article about how the recession is hitting it:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/diffi...if_t_j_maxx_hit

"Financial analysts, observing more than 100 locations nationwide, cited large quantities of off-brand and wildly scattered merchandise as evidence that T.J. Maxx has either been devastated by the economic downturn, or is carrying on as usual in spite of it."

Got to love The Onion

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thank you!

Some years ago, Jim Wilson and Associates sold 50% of its interest in the Riverchase Galleria to General Growth.

Being an Alabama native, I made many a trip to the Riverchase Galleria ("The Galleria" to Alabama residents). However, from what I understand, it has seen better days. I believe more recently it has seen an increase in vacancies, for the most part due to department store consolidation. I was a little surprised that Nordstrom was announced for the Birmingham area right before its Nashville announcement.

The Summit in Birmingham has attracted considerable upscale specialty stores, and the redevelopment of Brookwood Village has brought some business back there as well. Century Plaza is now dead, and Eastwood Mall was demolished to make way for a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

They're hoping that the addition of Nordstrom will add more time to the Riverchase Galleria.

Yeah, Jim Wilson & Associates is still 50% owner of the Riverchase Galleria well GGP has 50% ownership and management responsibilities. The reason why Birmingham area was announced before Nashville because Nordstrom has been in engaged in on-and-off discussions to open a location in Birmingham since the late 1990's, but couldn't land a location because of canceled projects and being bypassed by Bayer Properties when the Summit was constructing its second phase anchored by Saks.

Yeah, Jim Wilson & Associates is still 50% owner of the Riverchase Galleria well GGP has 50% ownership and management responsibilities. The reason why Birmingham area was announced before Nashville because Nordstrom has been in engaged in on-and-off discussions to open a location in Birmingham since the late 1990's, but couldn't land a location because of canceled projects and being bypassed by Bayer Properties when the Summit was constructing its second phase anchored by Saks.

We've been to the Summit and it is very nice. Why don't we have something like that here? The Avenues and Providence don't count...

Will they be adding another parking garage to go along with Nordstrom?

If Nordstrom is going in the lot between Macy's and Dillard's.. then what are they going to use the land next to La Paz for? Didn't the mall purchase that property a while back?

If Nordstrom is going in the lot between Macy's and Dillard's.. then what are they going to use the land next to La Paz for? Didn't the mall purchase that property a while back?

I don't believe they have officially announced what is going along Cleghorne Avenue. I've heard possibly another parking garage. If any shops were to ever be built there it would likely be as a separate lifestyle center addition. I don't know if that will happen for certain. To be honest, I'm not certain what will be constructed on the land next to La Paz.

I also believe that Davis Street Land Company purchased the La Paz building possibly to tear it down too.

I don't believe they have officially announced what is going along Cleghorne Avenue. I've heard possibly another parking garage. If any shops were to ever be built there it would likely be as a separate lifestyle center addition. I don't know if that will happen for certain. To be honest, I'm not certain what will be constructed on the land next to La Paz.

I also believe that Davis Street Land Company purchased the La Paz building possibly to tear it down too.

DSLC owns all the property along Cleghorn from the mall corner to La Paz, they've been letting them stay through their lease, though I suspect, assuming La Paz survives, that they'll be there for a while at this pont.

I think I heard that they will be adding extra levels to the parking deck in front of Macy's.

IMO I think that the Dillard's would be moved to a new location alongside the existing parking garage for Regal Cinemas, etc where the Club used to be.

Thus allowing for the current Dillard's parking garage to be imploded and expanded into mall space. And eventually, the land by La Paz would be developed like that of the "North Shops."

magh.JPG

DSLC owns all the property along Cleghorn from the mall corner to La Paz, they've been letting them stay through their lease, though I suspect, assuming La Paz survives, that they'll be there for a while at this pont.

I think that the Cleghorn land - if integrated well with the Rochford land - could become an interesting pseudo-lifestyle center.

What you could do is remove some of the parking close to the current main mall lengthen the North Shops' Strip, more retail beside what used to be Green Hills Grille with a new parking garage behind that with Cleghorn access. I wish they would buy out the Junior League; I have nothing against them, but their little walled off parking lot always pisses me off when I'm driving around looking for a spot.

Seriously though, losing La Paz would be an injustice. That place is amazing. An indication of how walking-unfriendly we are around here is that the other night we wanted to walk from La Paz to the movie theatre, but couldn't because of a deep gulley.

I think I heard that they will be adding extra levels to the parking deck in front of Macy's.

They are going to add two additional levels to that parking garage, now scheduled to start in January 2010, before the construction of Nordstrom can begin. It was originally scheduled to begin this past January, but has been delayed one year due to the economy. Nordstrom now plans a fall 2011 opening.

I think that the Cleghorn land - if integrated well with the Rochford land - could become an interesting pseudo-lifestyle center.

I like that idea. At one point wasn't there were plans or at least talk of turning that old office building by the theatre into residential? I thought that was why they kicked all the office tenants out (including the data center that we used at work).

Seriously though, losing La Paz would be an injustice. That place is amazing. An indication of how walking-unfriendly we are around here is that the other night we wanted to walk from La Paz to the movie theatre, but couldn't because of a deep gulley.

True dat, hah. La Paz is good. And the walking situation seems pretty silly. I once walked from a shop on Bandywood over to the mall.. and I made it, but it wasnt pretty.. the sidewalks are a lost cause, and they lead you directly into a grassy area with bushes and what not blocking the path. There's like no good pedestrian friendly way to get to the mall over there.

A man was attacked in the parking lot at Green Hills Mall. It looks like Green Hills is turning into the next Hickory Hollow Mall. I live in Green Hills and loved the mall when nobody came to it. Now, with the addition of all the new stored and restaurants, all the thugs are now migrating to Green Hills. I had a feeling this would happen.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090305/NEWS03/903050341

I see absolutely no reason to freak out about random crime incidents. This incident was unfortunate for sure, but it does in no way signal a crime wave in Green Hills. Let's face it.....Nashville is a large city and crime is going to happen. Just because it happens in or near your neighborhood does not mean that 'thugs' are invading. People should be cautious wherever they are at all times.

A man was attacked in the parking lot at Green Hills Mall. It looks like Green Hills is turning into the next Hickory Hollow Mall. I live in Green Hills and loved the mall when nobody came to it. Now, with the addition of all the new stored and restaurants, all the thugs are now migrating to Green Hills. I had a feeling this would happen.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090305/NEWS03/903050341

I see absolutely no reason to freak out about random crime incidents. This incident was unfortunate for sure, but it does in no way signal a crime wave in Green Hills. Let's face it.....Nashville is a large city and crime is going to happen. Just because it happens in or near your neighborhood does not mean that 'thugs' are invading. People should be cautious wherever they are at all times.

If Green Hills Mall wants to maintain it's character they need to charge high parking fees and an entrance fee to get into the mall. ParkAvenue is right, Green hills is primed to be the next hickory hollow unless the mall makes itself more exclusive (which involves excluding non-yuppie, non-urban hipster customers). Mall management needs to quickly raise rental prices for its tennants and encourage them to pass those costs along to the customer in the form of higher prices. Also, benches should be removed from the mall to prevent people from sitting inside (I notice there were no benches when I was at the "fancy" mall in Hong Kong). Mall security must be ever-vigilant in the parking lot, CCTV cameras are probably necessary on every lamp pole. Also, physical barriers should be erected at strategic locations that make it difficult for a pedestrian to approach the mall from Hillsboro road. Basically, only automobile traffic should be able to easily approach the mall from Hillsboro road, and pedestrians should be made to walk around to the side entrances. Mall security should also use drug-sniffing dogs on mall patrons and cars in the parking lot. Also, patrons who enter a valid frequent-flyier number fom a major airline and scan a valid credit card should not have to pay the parking and entrance fees because they are "preferred" customers.

If Green Hills Mall wants to maintain it's character they need to charge high parking fees and an entrance fee to get into the mall. ParkAvenue is right, Green hills is primed to be the next hickory hollow unless the mall makes itself more exclusive (which involves excluding non-yuppie, non-urban hipster customers). Mall management needs to quickly raise rental prices for its tennants and encourage them to pass those costs along to the customer in the form of higher prices. Also, benches should be removed from the mall to prevent people from sitting inside (I notice there were no benches when I was at the "fancy" mall in Hong Kong). Mall security must be ever-vigilant in the parking lot, CCTV cameras are probably necessary on every lamp pole. Also, physical barriers should be erected at strategic locations that make it difficult for a pedestrian to approach the mall from Hillsboro road. Basically, only automobile traffic should be able to easily approach the mall from Hillsboro road, and pedestrians should be made to walk around to the side entrances. Mall security should also use drug-sniffing dogs on mall patrons and cars in the parking lot. Also, patrons who enter a valid frequent-flyier number fom a major airline and scan a valid credit card should not have to pay the parking and entrance fees because they are "preferred" customers.

While I think the Dillard's "garage" is somewhat of a joke, (they either need a "west" garage that's more than one story or they need to take over the garage with the theatre) the concept of charging parking fees, high or not, isn't going to fly in this city, people are barely tolerant of to it downtown, and if you look at most upscale urban or regional malls in the south, it's rare to have parking like that, the Shops at Bal Harbor (and they validate) comes to mind, but malls outside true downtown centers, it's not that common.

The concept of THAGH falling along the lines of HHM is rather harsh and unrealistic, the mean demographics/economics around the mall would have to sharply change and as valuable as the land and overall area is, that's not going to happen.

Crime is a fact of life, and I think as the economy continues to coast, or wherever it is, crime is going to increase on some level and the people committing those crimes are going to look for people they think have something to take, but I can't see declaring martial law on the mall property necessary.

You do realize that Green Hills is not that fancy, do you? It is no where near as fancy as malls/districts such as Short Hills, Bal Harbour, Phipps Plaza, etc. Even SouthPark in Charlotte is a lot fancier. Green Hills has about like what 5 upscale stores? SouthPark has about 20 and Lenox & Phipps have about 30 upscale stores each. However, Green Hills may get more upscale, but not any time soon. It is just now getting Nordstrom, and a true high end center would already have Neiman Mrcus/Saks or getting it. It would not have stores like Gap & GNC. So, do you think that Green Hills should charge money to just to get in? What do you want to do: Get rid of the "bad" people or kill the mall? Many people would not shop there because you can go to Cool Springs and get mostly the same stores except the upscale ones. Many stores such that are not high end will close. If the mall is empty except upscale stores, they will leave if there is like 15 stores and they will not stay because of the high vacancy rate. More upscale stores will not open soon, and if they do, it will be like 3 stores.

I'm pretty sure that he was being sarcastic. Either way, everybody knows not to park in the Dillards parking lot. It's always been dangerous. Don't they remember that chick that got assaulted in the early 2000's, and the one who got raped there in the late 90's? It's too far away, and it's sketchy.

I'm pretty sure that he was being sarcastic. Either way, everybody knows not to park in the Dillards parking lot. It's always been dangerous. Don't they remember that chick that got assaulted in the early 2000's, and the one who got raped there in the late 90's? It's too far away, and it's sketchy.

Yeah I know, I was just explaining how bad it would be if Green Hills would be affected if that did happen. Also I was saying that Green Hills is not that fancy. However, it is improving.

Yeah I know, I was just explaining how bad it would be if Green Hills would be affected if that did happen. Also I was saying that Green Hills is not that fancy. However, it is improving.

I'm pretty sure Ct36 is a paid spokesperson for Simon Malls. You seem to hop from board to board hyping Southpark, Phipps, and Lenox.

I'm pretty sure Ct36 is a paid spokesperson for Simon Malls. You seem to hop from board to board hyping Southpark, Phipps, and Lenox.

Green Hills mall should be on-par with Perimeter mall in Atlanta, not the ones you mentioned. The per capita income is not high enough yet. Perimeter has Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales along with about 200 stores.

Archived