The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

Are we just speculating it's Nordstrom? I know a few years ago, the former SAKS CEO Brad Martin said Nashville was on their radar. They already know the market with their outlet store. Are they still headquartered in B'ham or have they moved back to NYC?

Saks is now headquartered in New York. This has occurred since the last of their department stores, Parisian, has been acquired by Belk.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had my way, I wish Nashville could get a Nordstroms and a Saks, but in the Downtown area. I would much rather have so many people being coming downtown to shop instead of the burbs. Indianapolis has a Nordstroms downtown, I feel like a Nordstroms downtown would succeed very well in downtown Nashville.

Jice, I go to school in Dallas and yes I too would like to have a trolley at least somewhere in Nashville, whether it be the Gulch, Sobro, CBD, West End, or Green Hills.

All I can say is it's about time this rumor comes to fruition. Now we're in the rumors can start coming about what the future holds for Grace's Plaza. I also wonder if all the upcoming activity around the Mall will stir up more interest in large street scape improvement in the area.

All I really want now is a Club Monaco, Armani Exchange and an Urban Outfitters and I would shut up about the state of our retail. :P

I'd like to add Gucci to your list.

Absolutely! I would love a Gucci. Though I still can't justify buying an item there yet, I would certainly appreciate having the option in the future.

I will say that it would be great to have some of these stores here outside of the conventional mall setting like downtown, the Gulch or at least in another development along the lines of Hill Center. However, I'd be content just having some of the other retail options I've enjoyed elsewhere.

I think Nashville could support either a

Hermes, Gucci, or Ferragmo store now. My favorite of the three would be the Ferragamo.

Oh yes! If anyone in retail land is out there listening, please send us a Ferragamo. Though nordies usually has a decent selection of them, which will help, they tend to carry the more regular styles like levy's, you've got to have a neimans or an actual ferra store to get the newer products.

So Kate Spade is opening a boutique inside GHM too? Hmm, interesting.

Does anyone know why there is one in Huntsville, AL? Do women there LOVE kate spade?

I've been thinking the same thing I have no idea why they came to Huntsville a lot of really upscale retailers came to the BridgeStreet TownCentre so somebody apparently convinced Kate Spade that it would be a good investment. A lot of retailers have started jumping in on the fact that Huntsville was so undeserved in upscale retail, undeserved because the area has a high median family income due to the prevalence of engineers, but I'm not convinced they are a right fit since this is more an engineering town than a place where people care about the latest fashion. Engineering = mostly non dressing men in jeans, and ugly shirts caring much more about technology and geeky stuff than fashion. Yeah there are wives of the engineers but they don't seem like the type that would really be so much into high end fashion. I don't think Kate Spade is a good fit for the type of people in Huntsville, I seriously doubt Huntsville will be able to support Kate Spade thats just me though maybe I'm wrong but regardless the restaurants and most other places in BridgeStreet should do well.

Something I found interesting... Birmingham's Nordstorm was announced a few months ago and won't open until 2012. Nashville's announced today and will open in 2010. Seems like Nordstrom really wants to be in Nashville.

There are a number of reasons why the Birmingham store isn't opening until 2012.

1) Riverchase is about begin a 2-year major mall overhaul, renovation, and expansion in fall 2009 similar to what another mall in the region experienced from 2000-02 which will include major interior work

2) The Nordstorm will have its own wing which will be an upscale lifestyle center concept that is still in the developmental stages. A number of retailers mentioned to be in this mix includes Crate & Barrel

3) Finally, the current location of where the store is being built is still in the final stages of being purchased from Belk, Inc. which was home to a former 3-level store.

Also, Nordstrom has been trying to get into the Birmingham market since the Summit opened in the late 90's, but Bayer Properties rejected them and chose Saks instead. So the demand is there, but Nordstrom just wants their timing to be right with the completion of Riverchase's renovation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived