The Gateway Site

gs3

5 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I’m confused. The last building of similar material and design is one that most of you all absolutely hate — The McClaren. Why the haste? Perhaps the board has learned a lesson? Idk, but maybe. 

Hmmm...

Other than than them both being modern architecture, I am not seeing ANY similarity... :dontknow:

Here is one of Gmans pics:

1-AE5-D9-E9-ABD6-4-EC6-A07-E-2-E50613919

https://greenvillejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/V04_EXTERIOR_TOWER_N.jpg

Edited by distortedlogic

15 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

:angry:

I mean the building isn't perfect but it looks a million times better than most of the modern boxes they seem to have no problem with. Come on people, seriously?!

I think it will be okay. I don’t see the DRB deferral for two months delaying the project at all. It isn’t supposed to start construction until around the end of this year anyways. 

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

The building cladding and windows are the same. A lot of complaints about the McClaren ultimately comes down to these when you get to the root of the moaning and groaning on here, IMO. But if you’re happy, then that’s great. 

Well. Every design expert on here should get together, pool their money; and build. Show us how things should look. Build a city more successful than Greenville is currently. 😏

8 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Well. Every design expert on here should get together, pool their money; and build. Show us how things should look. Build a city more successful than Greenville is currently. 😏

Just to be clear: I think we are on the same page. I’m pointing out that their complaining will have no basis once it starts.

I think some of you guys are missing the point of the criticisms. NO ONE is saying Greenville isn't a great city. But you can have a great place and still want attractive architecture. I don't think anyone is really "complaining," rather just critiquing some of the lazy designs.  If you guys like the architecture of these particular buildings that is great, but some don't; just as some like Bridgeway Station and some don't. Wanting more attractive architecture is fine and everyone has different opinions on what is more or less attractive.  Some  being critical of a proposed rendering has nothing to do with their likes or dislikes of Greenville or the upstate. In fact, I think the greatness of Greenville and the upstate makes me, at least, want a higher quality of architecture to go with its other great traits. I think we all know what we say on a forum has no bearing on what gets designed or built, but that is not the point of a fourm. The point is to discuss things. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 2

My biggest beef with this project is the height not the architecture. Both buildings are too short. What is even the point of the seven story building? :dontknow: Just seems really stupid and pointless to have it included. Make that one 15 stories tall and the current 16 story one 30 stories tall I say. The site deserves better than any of the proposals that have come and gone since the auditorium was torn down including this one. These developers continue to come to Greenville and think it’s a small town when it isn’t with their boring mid rise proposals. 

Edited by gman430

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

My biggest beef with this project is the height not the architecture. Both buildings are too short. What is even the point of the seven story building? :dontknow: Just seems really stupid and pointless to have it included. Make that one 15 stories tall and the current 16 story one 30 stories tall I say. The site deserves better than any of the proposals that have come and gone since the auditorium was torn down including this one. These developers continue to come to Greenville and think it’s a small town when it isn’t with their boring mid rise proposals. 

Maybe the economics don't call for taller buildings, especially right now? 

12 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Just to be clear: I think we are on the same page. I’m pointing out that their complaining will have no basis once it starts.

Oh. Lol. Then to the people who are on a different page. I should've just made that post without hitting the quote button. I apologize for singling your post out. They should pool their money, build a more successful city than what Greenville is now. Or enjoy the ride.😁

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gman said:

I disagree based on doing business out in Greenville. The area is hot. Some of these 2 building designs could've been combined to make taller towers. A good example is the One Buildings on main.

Edited by motonenterprises

1 hour ago, gman said:

The Class A office vacancy rate in the CBD is at 1.77%. Due to that, I say add office space to the project and make the buildings taller. That’s just my opinion though. 

Edited by gman430

8 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The Class A office vacancy rate in the CBD is at 1.77%. Due to that, I say add office space to the project and make the buildings taller. That’s just my opinion though. 

I'm good with this and  the College St tower being all/mostly residential.  These will be the only two multifamily residential buildings north of Washington right?  I'm hoping we get a lot of Class A in County Square and in the West End though. Continuing to have a balance downtown should continue to be a priority to ensure the various areas don't become weighted too heavily in one of work/play/live.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I'm good with this and  the College St tower being all/mostly residential.  These will be the only two multifamily residential buildings north of Washington right?  I'm hoping we get a lot of Class A in County Square and in the West End though. Continuing to have a balance downtown should continue to be a priority to ensure the various areas don't become weighted too heavily in one of work/play/live.

The West End and County Square have height restrictions though. The Gateway site doesn’t. On top of the office space, I think a hotel would do well here due to its proximity to the arena. Accommodations tax revenue is higher so far this year than the city projected it would be which means the occupancy rate is up. I’m baffled as to why the developer is only building residential space here.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The West End and County Square have height restrictions though. The Gateway site doesn’t. On top of the office space, I think a hotel would do well here due to its proximity to the arena. Accommodations tax revenue is higher so far this year than the city projected it would be which means the occupancy rate is up. I’m baffled as to why the developer is only building residential space here.

I'm really hoping the Thompson St properties get redeveloped into a hotel if this project goes through with the same planned uses.  But yeah, probably would've been better to have the two towers with different uses. I think the smaller one could've made a great location for a boutique hotel like a Moxy or Hotel Indigo that could cater to younger people attending events at the arena

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Still the same cementitious panel cladding system as the McClaren. Can't wait for it to start going up and the complaining to start. :lol::ph34r:

In my opinion, this project looks better even though it uses the same materials at least when it comes to the taller building. There’s more glass and you don’t have the exposed a/c units below every window. I like the color palette they chose for it more also. The shorter building on the other hand just needs to go away completely. It’s too short and the colors don’t match at all. 

Edited by gman430

10 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Still the same cementitious panel cladding system as the McClaren. Can't wait for it to start going up and the complaining to start. :lol::ph34r:

IMO, this is WAY nicer looking than the McClaren, especially the taller one. The shorter one still needs work, but at least it will be overshadowed by the taller. The McClaren is an ugly monstrosity... IMO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

IMO, this is WAY nicer looking than the McClaren, especially the taller one. The shorter one still needs work, but at least it will be overshadowed by the taller. The McClaren is an ugly monstrosity... IMO.

I'm just saying that the "loudest" complainers today didn't express their current critiques at the time of DRB review. 

• Like 1

This is not a "Wow! Welcome to Greenville" building. Underwhelming material. Fiber cement and vinyl are "economical choices." ACM panels will look good for about 10 years and then start to age. Both fiber cement and ACM will look cheap and bad in 12-15 years. 

But I get it. Building ain't cheap these days. Maybe the city should offer tax incentives in exchange for better building materials? Stone, brick, metal, glass. 

I'd love to see architects and developers get in a public war over building beautiful buildings, WWE style. 

Edited by ingvegas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

In my opinion, this project looks better even though it uses the same materials at least when it comes to the taller building. There’s more glass and you don’t have the exposed a/c units below every window. I like the color palette they chose for it more also. The shorter building on the other hand just needs to go away completely. It’s too short and the colors don’t match at all. 

Don’t worry Gman not only the smaller building the whole project will go away if history repeats itself.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the site is back on the market by the end of the year. Hope I’m wrong, and I don’t see anything wrong with the taller building just don’t think it will ever get built. 

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Don’t worry Gman not only the smaller building the whole project will go away if history repeats itself.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the site is back on the market by the end of the year. Hope I’m wrong, and I don’t see anything wrong with the taller building just don’t think it will ever get built. 

Ha…you’re probably right sadly. If this was in Charlotte or Atlanta it would receive financing and get built no questions asked. But this is Greenville. We can’t even get a single tower crane downtown. Even Asheville has tower cranes up right now. Sad. Oh and I still can’t believe this site has been empty for 25 YEARS. Absolutely bonkers.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, gman said:

Here are the facts about bank financing for office projects. “Shifting demand, financing headwinds will likely slow office projects.” https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/economic-development/office-spec-prospects-and-the-shift-of-companies-needing-flex-space-but-fewer-actual-offices/

Here’s to hoping negotiations among our politicians stall and this country hits the debt ceiling next month. That’s when we will see the real party begin. I’ll bring the cake. :D :fun:

Edited by gman430