The Gateway Site

gs3

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sptgguy said:

HAHAHAHA ...no but how about a replica of a mill smoke stack covered in "street art" that represents all of Greenville set in the middle of a park.  

I will compromise.  I love the idea of the mill smoke stack with street art.  Can we not still put a spinning waffle house on top of it?

Edited by gvegascple

16 hours ago, gvegascple said:

This might be a good spot for a smaller sized events venue than BSWS.  Maybe something that seats around 7500 and could be used as a multi-purpose arena.  

Wish we could have something like Asheville's Orange Peel downtown. I could see the gateway site being a good location for something like that. I know that's a hard market in Greenville though considering the close proximity of Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta. 

11 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

Wish we could have something like Asheville's Orange Peel downtown. I could see the gateway site being a good location for something like that. I know that's a hard market in Greenville though considering the close proximity of Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta. 

The joke is that is what used to be there before and I agree something like the Orange Peel would be good there.  I thought at one time this was to be an entertainment district of sorts and that is inline with that and would get us more music which would be amazing to have and a plus for attracting more people and companies to the area.

2 hours ago, gvegascple said:

The joke is that is what used to be there before and I agree something like the Orange Peel would be good there.  I thought at one time this was to be an entertainment district of sorts and that is inline with that and would get us more music which would be amazing to have and a plus for attracting more people and companies to the area.

We have a place right off of Woodruff for this type of entertainment. If I wanted Asheville I'd move there. Not my type of place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motonenterprises said:

We have a place right off of Woodruff for this type of entertainment. If I wanted Asheville I'd move there. Not my type of place.

you lost me at "Woodruff Rd".  Not every place with a good live music venue is Asheville.  The orange peel is used a lot because its a good example of a nearby venue sized to get good talent that isnt going to tour arenas.

5 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

you lost me at "Woodruff Rd".  Not every place with a good live music venue is Asheville.  The orange peel is used a lot because its a good example of a nearby venue sized to get good talent that isnt going to tour arenas.

I've been told that The Firmament is similar. Then there are other places too with different genres.

One of the problems though is Greenville's location and proximity to other cities with well-established music scenes. It's my understanding that bands/artists have to sign a contract with the venue that includes language saying that the band/artist can't also book at a different venue within a certain distance. So with Greenville being so close to Charlotte, Atlanta, Asheville, and even Columbia, we often get excluded from many band/artist tours because of these contracts and end up having to compete with those cities to attract bands/artists. Which can be difficult considering the well-established music scenes in these cities. 

Also, I love the entertainment options in Greenville. It would be cool to see more variety though. 

• Like 1