Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

I reread the article and I wonder how the reporter could state such inaccuracies about the developers. It is as if he did not double check his facts. The article implies that Village of Pelham has more time to come up with the money to pay for the frontage road as their plans continue into 2010. This make no sense if Village at Pelham has nothing to do with this new project.

I was on Fairview Rd. in Fountain Inn the other day. I think in 5- 10 years this is what Hwy 14 will be like. It will be much worse than Woodruff Rd as Spartanburg county does not have the zoning or planning in place like Greenville County.

The Westmoreland bypass currently being constructed, will not be able to handle the traffic of all the anticipated growth in this area.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a mistake. Collett and Associates in the Developer of this project. Village of Pelham is Spartanburg Regional Hospital, they are not in the development business and are only developing their hospital now. They have sold of the Commercial Portion of the Village of Pelham to the Flaglier Group out of Atlanta.

btoy, please allow me to make a slight correction. Collettett and Associates is "a" developer involved in this project. They are fairly new to the mix :whistling:

I'm glad to see that some of you have also noticed some of the flaws in this article. There are many ... including the idea that GSP can act as a Building and Codes department.

As for the Village at Pelham moniker, it is possible that since the projects are adjacent, there may be some agreement to share the name. Although Spartanburg Regional certainly has no part of this "huge" project other than as a neighbor.

GSP does have a right set by Legislation to say what happens in the environs. That is why the hospital was not built on the originally intended site, and that is what the doctors office on HWY 14 has had its construction halted before it was complete.

GSP does have a right set by Legislation to say what happens in the environs. That is why the hospital was not built on the originally intended site, and that is what the doctors office on HWY 14 has had its construction halted before it was complete.

btoy, you misunderstand. I am well aware of the authority of the Environ Commission. That is not what I was contesting. I was referring to the following quote from the SHJ:

<<The GSP Airport Environs Planning Commission helped developers find the site and would be responsible for zoning and permits as soon as construction is ready to move forward.>>

The authority to issue building permits and set zoning lies with either the City or the County. Of course, when within the EZ, approval is indeed necessary. And as for the first part of that sentence, there are people you know well who are likely laughing at that.

• 4 weeks later...

My thoughts on this project:

1) Haywood Mall should be fine considering that most of its current roster of stores don't usually operate in lifestyle centers...for the most part, minus a few.

2) Westgate Mall's future will be dependent on it's own actions or inactions. The tenant roster has not seemed to improve quality-wise since the remodel a few years back so it would seem unlikely that any current retailers would relocate to this new proposed center, or even be asked to join the project.

3) Isn't this proposed area of development the same area, or near the area that had been discussed for a new enclosed shopping mall, that was to be larger than Haywood, back in the mid-90s, which was eventually scrapped when Westgate, Greenville Mall, and Haywood all went ahead with their respective remodels/expansions in order to block its construction?

1- I agree to an extent. (see below*)

2- I somewhat agree. (see below*) I don't see the tennant base as having gotten worse though. The only real loss has been JB Whites/Proffits, and maybe GAP. I used to go to the mall a lot as a teenager, and now when I go back I see more of the stores that my friends or I would have once gone to Greenville, Columbia, or Charlotte for. There are more trendy stores now than there used to be.

3- I think you're right on that one, but its different times.

*As far as the effect on the malls, this is how I see it-

First, it depends on the tennants. The only names we've heard floating around are BassPro and Target/SuperTarget. I think it largely depends on what tennants chose to locate there. Haywood and Westgate are the largest malls in the state, so I don't see them going anywhere. If tennants in the new center are duplicates of stores in either mall, then they both stand to loose some business.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody's going ga ga over the fact that this incentives package is being put forth to land Bass Pro Shops? :rolleyes:

I thought it was interesting that they used Charleston as a precedent. And fair. I don't know that I'll shop all that much there, but I guess it's good to be getting it.... :dontknow:

I'm OK with incentives for this type of retail (Bas Pro, IKEA, etc) that draws millions of people a year, as it puts a hefty amount of tax dollars in the bucket and also promotes much additional spinoff retail. I'm glad it looks like we are getting one....it's definitely a draw. That said, I probably won't shop there, just isn't my gig.....give me REI anyday! :thumbsup:

I'm OK with incentives for this type of retail (Bas Pro, IKEA, etc) that draws millions of people a year, as it puts a hefty amount of tax dollars in the bucket and also promotes much additional spinoff retail. I'm glad it looks like we are getting one....it's definitely a draw. That said, I probably won't shop there, just isn't my gig.....give me REI anyday! :thumbsup:

REI is my pick too. ;)

I went into my first REI not long ago, and I liked that much better than BassPro. It felt less like an amusement park, and more like a real store. Everything was easier to find. Oh, and it was very much an urban store (something I've NEVER seen BassPro do).

My thoughts: It's political posturing. The governor wants to go on record that he's against such incentives by using his veto power. The state legislature will surely override his veto just as they did last year for the Cabela's in Charleston, if precendence is any indication, so the veto doesn't really hold much weight other than for him to go on record as being against it.

My thoughts: It's political posturing. The governor wants to go on record that he's against such incentives by using his veto power. The state legislature will surely override his veto just as they did last year for the Cabela's in Charleston, if precendence is any indication, so the veto doesn't really hold much weight other than for him to go on record as being against it.

That makes sense. It lets Sanford be true to his values, yet the development still proceeds. Sounds like a win-win.

Why didn't Charleston get the Cabela's after all, despite the legislature overriding the governor's veto?

State Rep. Joe Mahaffey, R., Spartanburg, who said he pushed hard for the bill said the developers for the 14 and 85 project are happy with the bill, and that it's needed to bring as many as 2,000 jobs to the Upstate.

"This should be the biggest development in Spartanburg County since BMW," Mahaffey said.

:rofl::blink:

^^^Would it be or are you being sarcastic?

It very well could be, but he makes Spartanburg sound needy and poor. It's a big deal, but not that big. It's bringing low paying jobs and traffic woes... And the impact on Spartanburg County as a whole I would think will be minimal. Other than some revenue, what is it really bringing to the county? Nothing to the City of Spartanburg-- which we can assume is the pride of the county. Or is it?

A little more of Spartanburg County becomes Greenville and the "Spartanburg is a suburb" threat grows... :ph34r:

^^^Would it be or are you being sarcastic?

This project is going to be so much more than just a BP or Cabela.

2000plus jobs is nothing to sneeze at. Retail jobs may not be high tech or at the upper end of the pay-scale, but they are great job opportunities for many who already live in the area.

Yes, traffic does come with any development. But in this case, the development is coming to an area well situated to handle it. Interstate access is a given; TWO modern interchanges exist at Hwy14 and Brockman McClimon Rd.; Hwy 14 is already improved; a frontage road is sitting there just waiting to be incorporated. This is the type of location where this type of project should take place.

My thoughts are that the senator was just talking out of his ass. I think anyone with any sense knows that EchoStar and Adidas are the largest developments since BMW at this point in time (though my sources say that more is coming). Anyway- to his credit, I think his point was that this is a huge development for Spartanburg County, which it is in most regards. It certainly stands to lure more retail dollars in from Greenville County and beyond. I'm interested to see how this 2000 jobs thing works ou, and what the tenant list will be. I am still not excited over that many retail jobs... but jobs are jobs I suppose.

Archived