Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, traffic does come with any development. But in this case, the development is coming to an area well situated to handle it. Interstate access is a given; TWO modern interchanges exist at Hwy14 and Brockman McClimon Rd.; Hwy 14 is already improved; a frontage road is sitting there just waiting to be incorporated. This is the type of location where this type of project should take place.

All the roads surrounding the site are in Spartanburg County.

Greenville County starts where 14 crosses the river at the waste treatment plant.

The site adjoins Greer city property with the Village at Pelham so I am sure the developers will ask to be annexed into the city for city services.

All the roads surrounding the site are in Spartanburg County.

Greenville County starts where 14 crosses the river at the waste treatment plant.

The site adjoins Greer city property with the Village at Pelham so I am sure the developers will ask to be annexed into the city for city services.

I guarantee that it will be annexed into Greer. It can not possibly happen any other way. And HWY 14 is in Greenville County in parts there, that is what I am talking about.

I was under the impression that this site was already in the Greer limits, but if not it will have to be annexed. Its also within the GPATS transportation planning zone, so Spartanburg County Planning's involvement should be pretty low. I'm sure they work with GPATS to make sure the roads are set up in a desirable fashion for Spartanburg County since they are a stakeholder for the surrounding area.

Btoy, Maybe I am not understanding your post but the land site for this development that borders Hwy 14 is all in Spartanburg County.That stretch of Hwy 14 is in Spartanburg county. Other than Hwy 14 road improvements a half mile away in G'ville county, what would Greenville county have to do with the development of it?

I used to have a map that shows how Greer city gerrymanders. I do know that recently aquired land for this development is not in city limits.

^ Considering this is suburban Greenville, I would hope Greenville County is actively involved in the planning process of road development for this project and in this area in general. I agree, don't want to see another Woodruff Road scenario.

Like I said before, the land is in the Greenville-Pickens Area Transportation Study (GPATS) "zone" ....so "Greenville County" does have some say in the process in that the GPATS folks work with Greenville County Planning all the time, but Spartanburg County Planning should also have a stake in this since the land is in Spartanburg County. It should be a collaborative effort with those two entities and the City of Greer.

Here is a PDF map of the GPATS transportation planning area: Link to GPATS map

Here is a link to a map of SPATS (Spartanburg Area Transportation Study): Link to SPATS map

GPATS and SPATS are known as Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO) and all urban areas over 50k in population are required by the fed to have them. They oversee and coordinate transportation planning projects in their territory, which is based on urban areas and not arbitrary political boundaries. More on MPOs here.

Btoy, Maybe I am not understanding your post but the land site for this development that borders Hwy 14 is all in Spartanburg County.That stretch of Hwy 14 is in Spartanburg county. Other than Hwy 14 road improvements a half mile away in G'ville county, what would Greenville county have to do with the development of it?

I used to have a map that shows how Greer city gerrymanders. I do know that recently aquired land for this development is not in city limits.

I am well aware that this land is in Spartanburg COunty, never said it wasn't. Also never said Greenville County would be doing any road improvements, all I said that the raods affected by this project fall in both counties.

I did some research and did not realize how quickly hwy 14 goes back into Greenville county on the airport side of 85. As far as Hwy 14, it would make sense for both Greenville and Spartanburg to be actively involved together.

That is the point I was making, yes this is in Spartanburg County, but right on the line....

It'd be nice if they actually refer to it as 'GSP International' instead of 'the Greenville Airport' as if we only have one. :rolleyes: Get in touch with your market, people! This is like watching the latest weather forecaster on WYFF/WSPA/WLOS try to pronounce some of the local names during the forecast.

It'd be nice if they actually refer to it as 'GSP International' instead of 'the Greenville Airport' as if we only have one. :rolleyes: Get in touch with your market, people! This is like watching the latest weather forecaster on WYFF/WSPA/WLOS try to pronounce some of the local names during the forecast.

I agree. From my experience, most locals DO call it GSP, and for as long as I can remember thats how its been. But maybe thats just a Spartanburg thing.

In the latest on the "big box tax break" saga, Sanford is calling for a petition drive and calling for the repeal of the tax breaks. While I'm lukewarm on Bass Pro, I would like to see REI, though not at the expense of local business. Sanford makes some good points in the article. I'm torn on this one.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...S/70711015/1003

In general, I do not like the idea of using incentives to lure retailers like Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. I tend to agree with Sanford. I would love to have those stores, but it shouldn't be up to the government to subsidize them. However, the argument made by those who disagree is that it adds so much in terms of tourism. That is a valid point, especially in a region that is just now starting to capitalize on the tourism market.

Krazee, you make a good point about public education. To give you guys an example (which nobody probably cares about, but humor me anyway), my tuition at MUSC is $28,000 this year. Remember, this is a public institution and I am an in-state resident. About 10 years ago, tuition here was $9,000 a year for in-state residents. That is no lie.

I'm not so sure that's a valid argument.

Public education in SC is expensive but I haven't seen Sanford do a thing about it. We can have a budget surplus, but tuition still rises year after year. He is Mr. Private Education, after all. Maybe with the revenue from the sales tax of these stores, which will do more business than small businesses, we can lower education costs and add funding to other things as well. I'm just saying that even if we didn't throw incentives at big boxes, is that really going to change anything about funding for public education or anything else for that matter?

Archived