Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

I'm not so sure that's a valid argument.

Public education in SC is expensive but I haven't seen Sanford do a thing about it. We can have a budget surplus, but tuition still rises year after year. He is Mr. Private Education, after all. Maybe with the revenue from the sales tax of these stores, which will do more business than small businesses, we can lower education costs and add funding to other things as well. I'm just saying that even if we didn't throw incentives at big boxes, is that really going to change anything about funding for public education or anything else for that matter?

I agree with you. I don't think we can change anything about funding for public education. I just wanted to whine about the insane amount of tuition I am paying here. :)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we should be subsidizing retailers of any kind in this way. Ive said it before, and I stand by that. I agree with Sanford 100%. What is BassPro doing thats so special? More importantly, what other businesses have located to SC based on that law?

I'm not so sure that's a valid argument.

Public education in SC is expensive but I haven't seen Sanford do a thing about it. We can have a budget surplus, but tuition still rises year after year. He is Mr. Private Education, after all. Maybe with the revenue from the sales tax of these stores, which will do more business than small businesses, we can lower education costs and add funding to other things as well. I'm just saying that even if we didn't throw incentives at big boxes, is that really going to change anything about funding for public education or anything else for that matter?

It was the principle of the thing I was getting at more than anything. I don't see what the Legislature is doing to lower our insane tuition costs, either.

And Greenville, you will be in my prayers tonight. $28K vs. $9K ten years ago? Whew! It's a shame. :(

These are tax breaks, not tax exemptions, so new tax revenue will be generated if these stores locate here.

Are we better without Bass Pro and no additional tax revenue, no new jobs, no spinoff retail or are we better off to give the tax breaks and get some new tax revenue, additional low paying jobs and spinoff retail? :dontknow: I can see both sides on this one.

As for the increase in college tuition, did Clemson really need an expanded football stadium? Did USC really need a new baseball stadium? Where do the funds for all these building projects come from? :dontknow:

These are tax breaks, not tax exemptions, so new tax revenue will be generated if these stores locate here.

Are we better without Bass Pro and no additional tax revenue, no new jobs, no spinoff retail or are we better off to give the tax breaks and get some new tax revenue, additional low paying jobs and spinoff retail? :dontknow: I can see both sides on this one.

As for the increase in college tuition, did Clemson really need an expanded football stadium? Did USC really need a new baseball stadium? Where do the funds for all these building projects come from? :dontknow:

I don't think any tuition went to building the West End Zone. That's IPTAY's deal and the very generous/wealthy Clemson faithful. The only thing I've seen the legislature to in this regard recently was increase the amount of loans that AD or the school can get for such projects. And yea, it was needed if you saw it before. It looked like a high school stadium at that end zone.

No tuition went towards building the West End Zone at Clemson, and no tuition money is going towards USC's baseball stadium or its other athetic facility improvements. We have a thread about USC's master plan for atheltic facilities in the Columbia section. It all has to be done without public money. IPTAY and The Gamecock Club are good at what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Another story on this project and a restatement / correction on the amount of tax dollars that will be generated by the development. Interesting that the correction came out after the tax breaks / incentives package received approval. :ph34r:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/707260319

Actually, the "correction" is to an article that was written and published " after the tax breaks / incentives package received approval."

• 1 month later...

The LL is currently negotiating with Belk for a relocation of their Greer store, Bass Pro or Cabelas, Super Target, and other junior anchors as well. This deal is getting a lot of traction.

This must be what one of the forumers meant when they posted that we would "get our SuperTarget", after the council vote against SuperTarget on Pelham.

I had heard about Belk and the replacement store. They are also looking to replace the Easley store from what I hear.

Sounds like the center is taking good shape. :thumbsup:

Several months ago Super Target had inquired about the The Village of Pelham Marketplace site behind where Capital Bank is currently under construction. Spartanburg Regional Hospital turned them down as it was not conducive to the "Wellness" concept. I had a feeling then it would look into the Urban Village/ Dillard Creek site.

Looks like an agreement has been reached on the utilities in the "golden box" area, that should let this, and other developments, go forward full steam.

Article from the GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70924026

The sewer issue was resolved a while ago; this is about electrical service.

The agreement will have no influence on this particular development one way or the other. However, other projects deeper in the

• 2 weeks later...

Along with Belk looking at this development for a freestanding store, can anyone confirm if Macys is looking for a freestanding unit that would be an additional unit to their Haywood location? I hear they are looking at the market for a second unit, probably freestanding, in the new Federated prototype. This is the only development I'm aware of that would be a possibility. It won't be Magnolia Park.

Macys is not looking, but Penney is

Thanks! So Belk, possibly JCP, SuperTarget, Bass Pro or Cabela's.

Any idea where Macy's would be looking then? They are scouting for an additional location and I don't know of any other sizable developments they would go into. They will not be part of Magnolia...no deartment stores there.

Thanks! So Belk, possibly JCP, SuperTarget, Bass Pro or Cabela's.

Any idea where Macy's would be looking then? They are scouting for an additional location and I don't know of any other sizable developments they would go into. They will not be part of Magnolia...no deartment stores there.

What about the McChesney development for Macy's? Or is the timetable for that development farther out than what Macy's needs?

I am somewhat surprised that the I-85/Highway 14 development seems to be targeting stores like JC Penney, SuperTarget, etc. I suppose there is a need for the JC Pennys of the world too, but I would think that Belk or Macy's would be preferable to a developer. At any rate, I found it to be interesting...

Have the new owners tried to negotiate with Nordstrom since the previous owners were unsuccessful? Afterall, the property is a very high profile location.

There are no plans for traditional style department stores at Magnolia. Greenville isn't on the Nordstrom radar....it would be years. While Greenville's retail has improved greatly, we still don't have the demographics in mass that Nordstrom looks for.

Nordstrom's focus for the next several years, is to add additional stores in metro areas where they already have a store, and gain market share in those metros.

New store opening list:

http://about.nordstrom.com/ourstores/openings/openings.asp

Archived