Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

This just in, NC's hot shooting has caused a plant in Booneville to explode. Seriously though a plant did explode. But anyway back to sports news. Pretty bad when you make a bit of a run and cut their lead down to 20. Of course NC game right back and extended the lead again. I didn't necessarily expect us to win, but I had hoped it would at least be a competitive game. Colby if you're in Tulsa and not able to watch the Arkansas game, really you aren't missing anything. At this point I guess we have to hope they get complacent in the second half and close the gap and make it more of a game.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just in, NC's hot shooting has caused a plant in Booneville to explode. Seriously though a plant did explode. But anyway back to sports news. Pretty bad when you make a bit of a run and cut their lead down to 20. Of course NC game right back and extended the lead again. I didn't necessarily expect us to win, but I had hoped it would at least be a competitive game. Colby if you're in Tulsa and not able to watch the Arkansas game, really you aren't missing anything. At this point I guess we have to hope they get complacent in the second half and close the gap and make it more of a game.

Good God. I stopped watching after it went 9-0.

I keep gamecast on while I'm working. All it does is update the scoreboard. It sort of sanitizes the process of losing and mellows out my emotions. When I see that number flip, and NC has extended its lead, it's not as painful.

Good God. I stopped watching after it went 9-0.

I keep gamecast on while I'm working. All it does is update the scoreboard. It sort of sanitizes the process of losing and mellows out my emotions. When I see that number flip, and NC has extended its lead, it's not as painful.

Yeah even when they finally start doing something offensively they can't stop NC on the defensive side. NC is pretty much scoring at will. If NC misses a shot seems like they get the rebound and then score. Arkansas has gotten it down to 21 in the second half a couple of times, but NC just comes right back and builds an even bigger lead. At least Miss St made it a game against Memphis. They came close to sending it to overtime but just couldn't quite get it there. So Tennessee will be the only SEC team in the Sweet 16.

NC passed 100 with 4 minutes left in the game. For a while I thought they were going to hit it even sooner. Finally NC pulls it starters out with a little over 3 minutes left.

We were definitely outmatched in this game. They didn't miss a freaking shot at all. Like the Indiana game, the centers were doing a good job of taking shots from the free throw area out of the reach of our bigs, and then if for some reason they missed we were out of position for the rebound.

The good thing about this game, is that they were left without a doubt knowing how well they would do against the best team in the tournament. I guess that sort of makes every other game they could have played meaningless. No one else could have matched up with them today either.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the football pics Rod! I have been ready for football season to start since the superbowl.

On another topic...Did anyone hear anything about Coach Pelfrey possibly going to Kentucky? I am sure it is just a complete rumor but OK State is trying to find another coach since Bill Self turned them down and stayed at Kansas. And someone said that they were looking at Kentucky and that would leave them open to try for Pelfrey since that is his alma mater.

Thanks for the football pics Rod! I have been ready for football season to start since the superbowl.

On another topic...Did anyone hear anything about Coach Pelfrey possibly going to Kentucky? I am sure it is just a complete rumor but OK State is trying to find another coach since Bill Self turned them down and stayed at Kansas. And someone said that they were looking at Kentucky and that would leave them open to try for Pelfrey since that is his alma mater.

I think that's rumor that will come up anytime that Kentucky has a job opening or is struggling and it will probably come true someday. Haven't heard anything concrete right now and I don't think he has established himself as a top tier coach yet but who know????

I had heard rumors before I left. But I think it had to be a bunch of moves that just happened to work out. Looks like Self didn't go to OK ST anyway so that sorta ruined that idea. I'm not so sure Kentucky would have taken Pelphrey at this time anyway. Although they do like him as a player, I think they want him to have a little more under his belt before they'd try to give him a chance at the program.

I think that's rumor that will come up anytime that Kentucky has a job opening or is struggling and it will probably come true someday. Haven't heard anything concrete right now and I don't think he has established himself as a top tier coach yet but who know????

Looks like you already stated what I just said. Guess that's what I get for replying before reading the whole topic. :lol:

I was surprised to hear Coach McDonnell is stepping down. I mean I knew it would come some day but I guess I just thought it would be a little further into the future. Either way he accomplished a lot and I hope he finally gets a little more recognition now for what he's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to hear Coach McDonnell is stepping down. I mean I knew it would come some day but I guess I just thought it would be a little further into the future. Either way he accomplished a lot and I hope he finally gets a little more recognition now for what he's done.

I heard tonight from a former UA athletic department employee that Coach McDonald was encouraged to retire by the new AD. I find it hard to believe but evidently it is common knowledge among staff at the track and field office. If true it's amazing- why would you run off the winningest coach in NCAA Div. 1 track history? (I think that statement is true) Hopefully someone can share some insight on this.

I heard tonight from a former UA athletic department employee that Coach McDonald was encouraged to retire by the new AD. I find it hard to believe but evidently it is common knowledge among staff at the track and field office. If true it's amazing- why would you run off the winningest coach in NCAA Div. 1 track history? (I think that statement is true) Hopefully someone can share some insight on this.

I just find that hard to believe. If I had to guess I'd say people are just spreading around rumors just like what happened with the football program. Even if you were going to run off a legend like that you'd think he'd have to have a number of really bad seasons. They had an off year this season. But they weren't that horrible and certainly nothing to run off a coach like him. And yes you're right he's not just the winningest coach in track but in all of NCAA sports.

In other Razorback news, Mallet was denied by the NCAA and will have to set out a season. Probably not that not bad of news for fans. This upcoming season is going to be a rebuilding year anyway. He'll have an extra season later as things rebuild if he sticks around all three years.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who believes that is off his rocker. Sounds like some sour grapes by that "former UA employee" if you ask me. Jeff Long is no idiot, and even if he wanted Johnny Mac gone, he's smart enough to see the HUGE boosters that support him and wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Anyone who believes that is off his rocker. Sounds like some sour grapes by that "former UA employee" if you ask me. Jeff Long is no idiot, and even if he wanted Johnny Mac gone, he's smart enough to see the HUGE boosters that support him and wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Yeah one of the Tysons is a big supporter of his. His name is attached to the indoor track center and I believe he even donated money for the outdoor track facility as well.

Yikes- I can't believe I spelled his name wrong- I meant "McDonnell" of course.

I haven't heard anything else about it from anyone so I imagine you all are right- just an ugly rumor started like so many others in the UA athletic programs recent past.

Yikes- I can't believe I spelled his name wrong- I meant "McDonnell" of course.

I haven't heard anything else about it from anyone so I imagine you all are right- just an ugly rumor started like so many others in the UA athletic programs recent past.

Yeah the past year has just been horrible about so many rumors going around about the athletic dept.

Well it was a mixed weekend for the Razorbacks. The baseball team didn't win enough games and now is left out of the SEC Tournament. There still seems to be hope that we can make it into the NCAAs, but if we don't it's hard to argue. We have a losing record in the SEC and didn't even make the SEC Tournament. Granted the SEC is usually well respected and tends to get quite a few teams in. Guess we'll just have to see. At least the track team pulled out a win. We weren't favorites going in but I think everybody knew the team was really going to give it their all to win one more time for McDonnell.

• 1 month later...

Apparently Coach Chris Bucknam out of Northern Iowa will take over for Coach McDonnell. I guess I'm a little surprised. Although I wasn't sure if assistant coach Dick Booth was going to get the shot at the job or not. Either way big shoes for anyone to fill of course.

Former Lady Razorback Stacy Lewis is leading the US Women's Open golf tournament in her professional debut. She shot a -6 today to get to --9 for the tournament and will have a one shot lead going into tomorow's final round. Way to go Stacy!!!! :yahoo:

She will be playing in next week's P&G Beauty NW Arkansas Championship at Pinnacle Country Club. This is the same torunament that was rained out last year. It has been moved up to try and have better weather and will start Friday. July 4th and run until Sunday. Last year's Open winner Christie Kerr, Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressell and Natalie Gulbis are all slated to play in tournament. Prize money has been raised to $1.7 million this year.

Friday's round will be followed by a fireworks display open to the public. The Saturday and Sunday rounds will be nationally televised on CBS. Tickets for the week are $50 or each day of the tournament itself for $25- a good bargain to see professional golf right here in NWA. This is another chance for NWA to show what it has to offer to the world- now if the weather will just stay dry!

• 2 weeks later...

Stacy Lewis finished up with a -3 to tie for 49th in the P&G Beauty NW Arkansas Championship Sunday. She was actually -6 going into Sunday's final round but had a tough 75 to finish behind some amazing scores from the top scorers. Seon Hwa Lee of South Korea finished with a -15 to claim the championship and $255,000.

The tournament was a success despite some weather delays and hot humid afternoons. NWA got some great publicity out of it as a dvr showed CBS even had some shots of Arvest Park, the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville and a mention that Forbes magazine had named it one of the top ten places to do business. The weather was brutal- as long as it was cloudy it was bearable but when that sun came out it felt like a jungle, and that's coming from a spectator that could hide in the shade at times. I feel for the players andcaddies that were out in it all day.

Stacy Lewis finished up with a -3 to tie for 49th in the P&G Beauty NW Arkansas Championship Sunday. She was actually -6 going into Sunday's final round but had a tough 75 to finish behind some amazing scores from the top scorers. Seon Hwa Lee of South Korea finished with a -15 to claim the championship and $255,000.

The tournament was a success despite some weather delays and hot humid afternoons. NWA got some great publicity out of it as a dvr showed CBS even had some shots of Arvest Park, the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville and a mention that Forbes magazine had named it one of the top ten places to do business. The weather was brutal- as long as it was cloudy it was bearable but when that sun came out it felt like a jungle, and that's coming from a spectator that could hide in the shade at times. I feel for the players and caddies that were out in it all day.

Yeah I wasn't really expecting Stacy Lewis to necessarily win but I had hoped she would have finished stronger than that. Too bad she struggled on Sunday. For some reason I hadn't realized it was on tv. I'm really not into golf, but I would have watched a little bit of it just to see the area on tv a bit.

Speaking of former Razorbacks, looks like one of them might have ruined his NFL career. Apparently Matt Jones was arrested here in Fayetteville and has a felony drug charge against him for cutting cocaine. Had he stood out a bit more I think he might have been able to work his way back. But his first few years in the NFL haven't been as impressive as people had hoped. Real shame he's gotten himself into drugs. Makes me wonder if this is something new or if he managed to keep things quiet while he was here at the university.

Speaking of former Razorbacks, looks like one of them might have ruined his NFL career. Apparently Matt Jones was arrested here in Fayetteville and has a felony drug charge against him for cutting cocaine. Had he stood out a bit more I think he might have been able to work his way back. But his first few years in the NFL haven't been as impressive as people had hoped. Real shame he's gotten himself into drugs. Makes me wonder if this is something new or if he managed to keep things quiet while he was here at the university.

Oh no....say it ain't so! Unbelievable...he's the last one I would have thought that of. Sure didn't seem like it was going on when he was here but who knows? His dad is saying that they weren't his drugs, just that drugs were in the car and Matt was closest to them. I imagine this will take a while to play out and Matt's NFL career will be hanging on the outcome (although it seems like anybody can come back in the NFL- the league is very forgiving :rolleyes: )

Archived