Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Razorback women's tenis team is in the third round of the NCAA tournament afer wining the first two rounds here in Fayetteville last weekend. They play Duke on Friday at College Station, Tx. at 9 am in the third round. The Blue Devils are seeded third and it should be a great match. The Razorbacks are led by senior Aurelija Miseviciute who is ranked second in the nation and is 38-3 in singles matches this season. Go Ladies!

The Razorback women's tenis team is in the third round of the NCAA tournament afer wining the first two rounds here in Fayetteville last weekend. They play Duke on Friday at College Station, Tx. at 9 am in the third round. The Blue Devils are seeded third and it should be a great match. The Razorbacks are led by senior Aurelija Miseviciute who is ranked second in the nation and is 38-3 in singles matches this season. Go Ladies!

I never have heard of any results from this. The baseball team continued their slump and have now lost the last 8 SEC games I believe. A really bad time of the year to have a slump like this. On a good note, the track team won the SEC Outdoor meet, beating out favorite Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

So far the Razorback baseball team has been looking pretty good in NCAA post season play. They have yet lost a game and after being basically last in offense in the SEC have really lit it up offensively in a couple of games. They're one win away from winning their regional.

The Razorback baseball team did it and had a big win over Oklahoma to win the regional. They've been pretty hot so far in the tournament. Apparently they'll play Florida St next. The same Florida St team that just set an NCAA record by scoring 37 runs on Ohio State Sunday.

Forgot to mention this earlier. The Razorback golf team finished 2nd, beaten out by Texas A&M for the NCAA Championship. Best showing we've had by the golf team.

If Oklahoma had to lose at least it was the Hogs that beat them. I was reading the article in the Times and it said there was a crowd of 2,333 people. That is pretty week. Too bad we did not get to have the Regionals in Fayetteville, we would have had well over 10,000 at each game I'm sure.

I was hoping that by winning the regional we might have a chance of hosting a super-regional- guess that was already decided before lasst weekend. . We sure have the facioities and fan base to make it worthwhile for the NCAA.

The Razorback baseball team is heading to Omaha. A bit of a wild game. Although the weather made the first match up with Florida St a bit wild as well. FSU looked pretty good and the Hogs started off a bit slow. They took a lead late in the game and seemed to have all the momentum. Twice we were a strike away from winning the game and then FSU came back and took the lead. But as they've done a number of times all season they won it in the bottom of the ninth. Pretty exciting game to watch. Ole Miss had a lead and could have also been another SEC team to make it to Omaha. But they ended up losing it and now have to play a Game Three. LSU has a lead in the 9th although Rice seems to be mounting a bit of a comeback. But if LSU holds on they'll end up being the second SEC team heading to Omaha. Florida has some work if they're going to make it though. They lost their first game and now have to win the next two to advance.

The Razorback baseball team is heading to Omaha. A bit of a wild game. Although the weather made the first match up with Florida St a bit wild as well. FSU looked pretty good and the Hogs started off a bit slow. They took a lead late in the game and seemed to have all the momentum. Twice we were a strike away from winning the game and then FSU came back and took the lead. But as they've done a number of times all season they won it in the bottom of the ninth. Pretty exciting game to watch. Ole Miss had a lead and could have also been another SEC team to make it to Omaha. But they ended up losing it and now have to play a Game Three. LSU has a lead in the 9th although Rice seems to be mounting a bit of a comeback. But if LSU holds on they'll end up being the second SEC team heading to Omaha. Florida has some work if they're going to make it though. They lost their first game and now have to win the next two to advance.

How about those Hogs!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Who have thought this would happen after the way they finished the regular season?

Great to see us host our first Outdoor NCAA Championship in track. Nice to see it on national tv as well. While we get to see some football and basketball games get some national exposure it's nice to see another sport get some attention as well. You also get a lot more views around the area considering the openness of the track stadium. Unfortunately the Razorbacks haven't haven't had a good meet. I think we all knew they'd be a long shot against a team like Oregon. But they've really taken themselves out of it.

The baseball team should be playing soon. Hopefully they'll have some better luck.

Razorbacks got a good win at Omaha over a pretty hot team. Hogs won it 10-6. It was their first win at Omaha since '89. They started off hot and quickly put up some runs that helped take Cal St Fullerton out of the game. At one point they were up 9-2. Great to see the baseball team putting things back together after that bad stretch at the end of the regular season. After having disappointing seasons from all the other 'major' Razorback sports, nice to see there's some hope after all.

Ugh, too early this morning after last night's late game. Well before last night's game Arkansas got beat down by LSU knocking us down to the loser bracket. The offense that disappeared against LSU was making an appearance against Virginia as well. Virginia had the lead just about all game. They made a number of mistakes with runners on the bases. Perhaps the other big mistake they made was letting Arkansas stay within striking distance. The Razorbacks have had a knack this season of pulling out games when they were behind in the 7th inning. Down to their final out in the 9th the Razorback offense finally picked up. Then the extra innings were pretty nerve racking. Virginia kept getting base runners on, in some cases getting the bases loaded but couldn't capitalize on any of them. Arkansas finally got a base runner on in the 12th and was able to bring him home. So Arkansas is still alive at Omaha. The bad news we have to get two wins out of LSU, a team who has done pretty well against us all season. But at least there's a guarantee of an SEC team in the finals.

Ugh, too early this morning after last night's late game. Well before last night's game Arkansas got beat down by LSU knocking us down to the loser bracket. The offense that disappeared against LSU was making an appearance against Virginia as well. Virginia had the lead just about all game. They made a number of mistakes with runners on the bases. Perhaps the other big mistake they made was letting Arkansas stay within striking distance. The Razorbacks have had a knack this season of pulling out games when they were behind in the 7th inning. Down to their final out in the 9th the Razorback offense finally picked up. Then the extra innings were pretty nerve racking. Virginia kept getting base runners on, in some cases getting the bases loaded but couldn't capitalize on any of them. Arkansas finally got a base runner on in the 12th and was able to bring him home. So Arkansas is still alive at Omaha. The bad news we have to get two wins out of LSU, a team who has done pretty well against us all season. But at least there's a guarantee of an SEC team in the finals.

Amazing!!! We were down to 2 outs and 2 strikes and behind by 2 runs in the ninth and still won. What was that major league team nicknamed the" Cardiac Kids"? We have our own version this year. We beat LSU easily the first game we played them this year so it can be done and it's our turn now!

Well we knew the chances were slim, beating LSU twice. We've already had problems with LSU this year. Then throw in injuries and little rest, I guess it was just a matter of time before the Razorbacks ran out of gas. I had hoped to at least push LSU to a second game. But having to switch a number of players in the outfield and not being able to use some of our better pitchers just wasn't enough against a really good LSU team. I believe they're the only team still undefeated in NCAA postseason play. Even though Texas is the #1 seed most people seem to think Texas will have a hard time against LSU and are picking LSU to win it. At least the SEC is being represented pretty well overall so far. I hadn't though of it but three of the final four teams were all Mid-South teams.

• 1 month later...

Well we've had 100 years of Razorbacks. Of course the U of A and the football team has been around longer than that. But they started out being called the Cardinals. But a football coach referred to his players as playing like razorback hogs and the name stuck. Apparently the anniversary was yesterday and they had a ceremony on Dickson St. I was a bit surprised I didn't hear about it till afterward.

• 5 weeks later...

Football season is getting closer and closer. I know a lot of people are getting excited about the Hogs this year. Mallet will be able to play this season and we have a lot more depth at running back and receiver. Michael Smith did a great job at running back last year but just doesn't have the build to put up those type of yards every week. But he'll have help this season. While the favorites for the SEC West are LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss. Arkansas seems to be lurking around as a dark horse for a lot of people. We should be much improved but we have such a tough road schedule this year. It will probably be too much for us to seriously compete for the SEC West this year. But we could end up having a big effect on the SEC West. I think a lot of people think we'll surprise and beat at least one of the three favorites. We should be much improved on offense this year. Probably the biggest question on offense is how will our line hold up to the SEC defenses. It might be curious to see how Mallet tests some of those SEC defensive secondaries. But a good running game should really help out. Perhaps the biggest problem we're going to have is our defense. The SEC is known for it's defense and we were really the only weak link last year on defense for the SEC. If our defense can really improve it would certainly help us win some games instead of seeing if our offense can outscore teams. It's a bit disappointing that we didn't get much acknowledgment in the AP poll. I certainly wasn't expecting to get ranked, but we only managed one point. Tennessee got 15 and Auburn got 7. I know preseason polls really don't mean anything. But I just can't see how Tennessee or Auburn got that many more votes than Arkansas. Even with our extremely tough schedule. I think most people would be surprised if either of those teams had a better record than Arkansas. Maybe, just maybe Tennessee because outside of Florida the SEC East should be a lot easier than the West.

Football season is getting closer and closer. I know a lot of people are getting excited about the Hogs this year. Mallet will be able to play this season and we have a lot more depth at running back and receiver. Michael Smith did a great job at running back last year but just doesn't have the build to put up those type of yards every week. But he'll have help this season. While the favorites for the SEC West are LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss. Arkansas seems to be lurking around as a dark horse for a lot of people. We should be much improved but we have such a tough road schedule this year. It will probably be too much for us to seriously compete for the SEC West this year. But we could end up having a big effect on the SEC West. I think a lot of people think we'll surprise and beat at least one of the three favorites. We should be much improved on offense this year. Probably the biggest question on offense is how will our line hold up to the SEC defenses. It might be curious to see how Mallet tests some of those SEC defensive secondaries. But a good running game should really help out. Perhaps the biggest problem we're going to have is our defense. The SEC is known for it's defense and we were really the only weak link last year on defense for the SEC. If our defense can really improve it would certainly help us win some games instead of seeing if our offense can outscore teams. It's a bit disappointing that we didn't get much acknowledgment in the AP poll. I certainly wasn't expecting to get ranked, but we only managed one point. Tennessee got 15 and Auburn got 7. I know preseason polls really don't mean anything. But I just can't see how Tennessee or Auburn got that many more votes than Arkansas. Even with our extremely tough schedule. I think most people would be surprised if either of those teams had a better record than Arkansas. Maybe, just maybe Tennessee because outside of Florida the SEC East should be a lot easier than the West.

I'm excited :excl: Wouldn't be looking for a 10 win season but they should be much better than last year. It sounds like the offense is in place but the defense is still a question mark. Like you say, several people have commented that defense is what wins games in the SEC so hopefully they will come around. The kicking game doesn't sound like it is quite ready either- special teams are so important.

I don't think we will get much acknowledgment until we win some games against top teams. A lot of people outside of the Arkansas fans don't care for Coach Petrino so he'll have to work harder to get the respect in the polls. I did read where Tommy Tuberville paid Petrino some compliments and said he thought Arkansas would be much better this year but since he isn't coaching this yeart he can afford to be generous with the praise.

Go Hogs!

I'm excited :excl: Wouldn't be looking for a 10 win season but they should be much better than last year. It sounds like the offense is in place but the defense is still a question mark. Like you say, several people have commented that defense is what wins games in the SEC so hopefully they will come around. The kicking game doesn't sound like it is quite ready either- special teams are so important.

I don't think we will get much acknowledgment until we win some games against top teams. A lot of people outside of the Arkansas fans don't care for Coach Petrino so he'll have to work harder to get the respect in the polls. I did read where Tommy Tuberville paid Petrino some compliments and said he thought Arkansas would be much better this year but since he isn't coaching this year he can afford to be generous with the praise.

Go Hogs!

True, I hadn't considered the fact that some people still hold a grudge against Petrino. But like you said, until we win some big games we're probably just not going to get noticed. But it's sorta funny how in some ways our football program hasn't gotten any notice even though we're in the SEC. I read an article the other day talking about the best places to go see a college football game. We didn't make the Top 25 list but got a mention at least. But what's funny is this person basically said Arkansas and Kentucky are 'basketball schools' that have also have pretty good atmospheres for a football game as well. While Nolan certainly brought success and attention to the basketball program I don't really think of us as a 'basketball school' though.

True, I hadn't considered the fact that some people still hold a grudge against Petrino. But like you said, until we win some big games we're probably just not going to get noticed. But it's sorta funny how in some ways our football program hasn't gotten any notice even though we're in the SEC. I read an article the other day talking about the best places to go see a college football game. We didn't make the Top 25 list but got a mention at least. But what's funny is this person basically said Arkansas and Kentucky are 'basketball schools' that have also have pretty good atmospheres for a football game as well. While Nolan certainly brought success and attention to the basketball program I don't really think of us as a 'basketball school' though.

Yeah, that is strange. Arkansas has always been first a football school and every other sport second. I think the attendance figures and ticket sales bear that out. Eddie Sutton started basketball on the way up and Nolan carried it very high but it still hasn't had the popularity that football has always had. Even when the football team is having a down season it captures more attention. I do think of Kentucky as a basktball school- it's up there with Duke, North Carolina and UCLA in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Great start to the football season- UA 48- Mo. State 10. Mallett seems to be everything he has been advertised to be. 300 plus yards even with Wilson getting some playing time. I'm glad Wilson got in- the way Sam Bradford got hurt for OU it's clear we need a ready backup quaterback. The defense looked good although SEC teams will be a whole different story when it comes to offense. I'm just glad we are off to a good start.

Great start to the football season- UA 48- Mo. State 10. Mallett seems to be everything he has been advertised to be. 300 plus yards even with Wilson getting some playing time. I'm glad Wilson got in- the way Sam Bradford got hurt for OU it's clear we need a ready backup quarterback. The defense looked good although SEC teams will be a whole different story when it comes to offense. I'm just glad we are off to a good start.

I wasn't too surprised Wilson got in. But the circumstances surprised me. I figured Mallet would play the first half or so and once we had a good lead Wilson would go in. But Wilson went in before the first quarter was even over. But Mallet was given time after that as well. Maybe they'll try for a two quarterback system? Although a lot of times you generally have two different types of quarterback, one who's good at rushing and one who's good at passing. But anyway as you said after seeing Bradford go down it is good to see that we have another good quarterback if something happens to Mallet. I'm sure fans are happy to see the passing game. They set a passing record of 447 yards. I knew we'd be passing more but a little surprised at how much more passing we did over rushing. Petrino is known for a pass happy offense. But honestly he uses a bit more of a balanced attack than people think. You need a decent running game to help keep defenses honest and help open up the passing game.

Overall the SEC looked pretty good. Alabama had some problems with Virginia Tech but VT is a pretty good team and highly ranked. The one exception would be Georgia. Although once again OK ST is a good team and were ranked higher than Georgia and playing on their home field as well. I thought that the flag on the OK ST receiver was a big mistake. It wasn't malicious and there were other hits just as hard in the game that weren't flagged. But that penalty pretty sealed the game. I'm not saying Georgia would have come back and won it. But after that penalty putting OK St so close to scoring position it was over with. Georgia certainly didn't look too great on offense. Although they certainly lost a lot of talent last year with Stafford and Moreno going to the NFL. Still you figure Georgia will still be a bigger challenge than Missouri State on offense. It will also be interesting to see how our offense performs against an SEC defense. Georgia's defense started wearing down a bit later in the game against OK ST but overall did pretty good holding back OK St's offense. We have an off week now to see how Georgia responds to the lose when they play South Carolina. Which reminds me South Carolina played earlier in the week and won but didn't look too impressive in their game either. Especially on offense.

• 2 weeks later...

Mallet set some new records but it wasn't enough for a win as Georgia pulled out a win. At times our offense made scoring look so easy. We seemed to put up most of our points in the first and third quarters. Looks like we're going to have to outscore teams in shoot outs this year. Our defense still isn't looking too good. The run defense actually didn't do too badly except for that one big run. But the pass defense really seemed to have a hard time. mallet threw for over 400 yards and passed for 5 TDs, both Razorback records. But in the later part of the game our offense started sputtering a bit. Had to settle for some field goals. Then our passing game seemed to have problems on the last couple of drives. We have to play so many big games on the road this year. Winning all of our games at home would have made it easier to make a bowl game.

Didn't take long for fourth ranked Ole Miss to get knocked down. They lost last night to South Carolina. There is still a lot of season left for Ole Miss to do something. But this does seem to follow Nutt's pattern of not doing great when there's a lot expected out of his team. But the main reason I bring this up, is the highly proclaimed QB Snead had a pretty hard time against a good SEC defense. It's really got me wondering how Mallet and our offense is going to hold up against some SEC defenses. Guess we'll find out soon though with the Alabama game nearly upon us. Our offense is one of the best in the country so far and will go up against one of the best defenses in the country. I don't think Georgia's defense was a good test. But out of all of this maybe it means the game at Ole Miss won't be as tough as expected. Would be great for Mallet to outperform Snead.

In general when a big offense goes against a big defense the defense tends to win out. Unfortunately our game followed that generalization. Overall we had a hard time getting our offense going. Granted the Alabama defense played a big role in that. I was a little surprised we didn't try picking up yards in smaller amounts. Sometimes it seemed like we were trying really hard to get 'the big play'. Overall our defense didn't look too bad. But we still seem to make a lot of penalties and mistakes that lead to big plays for the opponents. Another game on the road next week but this time down at the new $1.3 Bil Dallas Cowboys Stadium. A much more winnable games against Texas A&M, before we get back into the SEC grind.

Archived