Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

Some former Razorback coaches are having a lot of success at their new schools.

Former UA football coach Houston Nutt went to Ole Miss and led them to a winning season and a Cotton Bowl win.

Former Razorback women's basketball coach Gary Blair went to Texas A&M and has them ranked 3rd in the nation this season after leading them to the Elite Eight last season and losing to eventual national champion Tennessee.

Former Razorback volleyball coach Chris Poole led his new Florida State team to a 21-9 record in his first season there.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Razorbacks will have to do a little more to get ranked. The polls came out today and they weren't in either. They were 28th in the AP but taking a closer look the 25th ranked team had more than twice the amount of votes than Arkansas. They were even further down in the USA Today poll, around 37th. But there is the big game coming up with Texas. Obviously if they win that they'd have to be ranked, beating two top ten teams in about a week's time. Guess we'll just have to see how things go. LSU has started off pretty good as well but haven't seen them getting any votes. Tennessee is the only ranked teams and they were barely even ranked in the USA Today poll coming in at 25th. The SEC doesn't seem to have much expectations in basketball this year. But that might also make it easier for the Razorbacks to make it through with a pretty nice record. A decent record and some big wins over teams like Oklahoma will give them a shot at getting into the SEC Tournament. Doesn't look like the SEC will be getting in a lot of teams this year.

Another very impressive win by the men's basketball team. A 67-61 win over #7 Texas. A lot of foul trouble throughout the whole game. But, they fought back and took the lead in the 2nd half and kept it. Hello there top 25 ranking.

Another big win. This will really help their resume for the NCAA Tournament. As long as they don't flop in SEC play they should have a decent shot to get in the NCAA Tournament. Probably only three SEC teams will get in this year. Luckily we got to play both of these big games at home. I'm curious to see how we'll play on the road in the SEC though. We've had some struggles on the road in the recent past. Hopefully this team will do better in that category.

Another big win. This will really help their resume for the NCAA Tournament. As long as they don't flop in SEC play they should have a decent shot to get in the NCAA Tournament. Probably only three SEC teams will get in this year. Luckily we got to play both of these big games at home. I'm curious to see how we'll play on the road in the SEC though. We've had some struggles on the road in the recent past. Hopefully this team will do better in that category.

Man that was quite a game! I was screaming at my TV for good portion of it. I read a report this morning where Rick Barnes was saying he wised Arkansas was in the Big 12 and I couldn't agree more. I never liked the idea of the going to the SEC. We don't really belong there at all in my opinion. But then, if we hadn't of left the SWC, TX wouldn't be in the Big 12 either!

Man that was quite a game! I was screaming at my TV for good portion of it. I read a report this morning where Rick Barnes was saying he wised Arkansas was in the Big 12 and I couldn't agree more. I never liked the idea of the going to the SEC. We don't really belong there at all in my opinion. But then, if we hadn't of left the SWC, TX wouldn't be in the Big 12 either!

If I were King for a day I would kick Baylor out of the big 12 south and let the Hogs take their spot.

I've always wondered if there's a division in the state on which conference the Razorbacks should be in. It's pretty obvious people in NWA identify more with Missouri and Oklahoma because we're pretty close to those states. Then there's also the fact of some of the schools in the Big 12 are old rivals. But I've wondered if some people in other parts of the state might identify more with some of the other SEC states and prefer to be in the SEC. While it would be interesting to be able to pick up some of the old rivalries on a regular conference basis, it just seems to me the SEC is way too successful for the Razorbacks to seriously consider switching conferences. But I guess you never know. At some point in the future it might be more common to see schools switching conferences. You already see it happen quite a bit in the smaller conferences. While Broyles seemed dead set on staying in the SEC, Long or the person after him might be more open to the idea. This seems like a good idea for a poll.

Well the loss at home to Miss St cost us the chance of being ranked in the top 25. We ended up at 27th in the AP and 26th in the USA Today. Tennessee is barely ranked at 24th in the AP and took a big drop out of the polls in the USA Today poll. We're the highest ranked SEC team in the USA Today poll. I'm just hoping we do a lot better on the road this year.

Razorback ice hockey team plays LSU tonight and tomorrow at the Jones Center in Springdale: http://razorbackhockey.com/schedule.htm.

The ice Hogs beat up on LSU pretty good. Game 1: Hogs 14 - Tigers 2, Game 2: Hogs 4 - Tigers 1

They're currently ranked 8th in the ACHA South division but have played fewer games than all of the higher ranked teams. SEC schools ranked ahead of the Hogs are Tennessee and 'Bama.

Been a pretty disappointing start to the SEC. We're 0-3 in conference play, pretty disappointing after the big wins before we started conference play. One think I've noticed is our three pointing shooting has dropped big time. Seems like the three point shots just aren't dropping for us anymore. And now one of the players have been suspended for being arrested for driving under the influence.

Not a lot was expected from the basketball team at the beginning of the season. But an early schedule that was heavy on a lot of home games and two big upsets over Big 12 teams got people excited and thought maybe we were a lot better than what was earlier expected. Well now expectations have quickly dropped. Now we're 0-4 in SEC play, I think I heard it's the first time the Razorbacks have started 0-4 in conference play. It doesn't look like we'll be challenging for the SEC West after all. It's also beginning to look like the only way we'll get into the NCAA Tournament is to win the SEC Tournament.

• 4 weeks later...

The baseball Hogs will be getting off to an early start today, Friday, with a doubleheader starting at 1 PM. Looks like they will play two games today in order to avoid the forecasted 39 degree high on Saturday. Sunday's game will start at 11 AM instead of 1 PM.

Some polls have the team ranked and expectations are that they will do well this season. GO HOGS!!!!!

The baseball hogs swept their doubleheader with Washington State University. They won the first game 4-2 and won the second on a 10th inning walk off homerun by Anrew Darr- great way to start the season.

The Razorback women's basketball team beat No. 15 Forida 83-74 on the road Thursday night to extend their winning streak to 4 games. Their last home game of the season is Sunday at 2 PM after the baseball team's game. There's a good chance that freshman Ceira Ricketts will be SEC Freshman of the Year as she has won Freshman of the Week 5 times this season. Great way to end the regular season!

I found this interesting. According to Forbes the Arkansas Razorbacks are the 15th most valuable college football team, right beneath Southern Cal. No big suprise that quite a few SEC teams make the list. Although the order of some of them were a bit of a surprise to me.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dam...thisSpeed=15000

I found this interesting. According to Forbes the Arkansas Razorbacks are the 15th most valuable college football team, right beneath Southern Cal. No big suprise that quite a few SEC teams make the list. Although the order of some of them were a bit of a surprise to me.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dam...thisSpeed=15000

Here is the entire list and Values according to Forbes:

1. Notre Dame (101 Million)
2. Texas (92 Million) - Texas Still Sucks!
3. Georgia (90 Million)
4. Michagan (85 Million)
5. Florida (84 Million)
6. LSU (76 Million)
7. Tennessee (74 Million)
8. Auburn (73 Million)
9. Alabama (72 Million)
10. Ohio State (71 Million)
11. OKLAHOMA (70 Million) Boomer Sooner!!!
12. South Carolina (69 Million)
13. Penn State (69 Million)
14. Southern California (53 Million) - YUCK
15. ARKANSAS (53 Million) - GO HOGS!!!
16. Texas A&M (50 Million)
17. Washington (50 Million)
18. Nebraska (49 Million)
19. Michigan State ( 44 Million)
20. Wisconsin (43 Million)

• 1 month later...

A big non-conference match up coming up in baseball with Arizona State. In once poll Arkansas is 1st and Arizona State 2nd. Although it sounds like Arkansas isn't trying to put too much emphasis on the match up and is trying to focus more on it's SEC schedule.

A big non-conference match up coming up in baseball with Arizona State. In once poll Arkansas is 1st and Arizona State 2nd. Although it sounds like Arkansas isn't trying to put too much emphasis on the match up and is trying to focus more on it's SEC schedule.

The Razorbacks ended up sweeping Arizona St. Never heard what the attendance for the first game was. But the second was the biggest crowd ever at Baum Stadium, over 11,000. As long as they don't lose the series against Vandy this weekend you'd think they'd really make up some ground in the polls they aren't ranked #1.

The Razorbacks ended up sweeping Arizona St. Never heard what the attendance for the first game was. But the second was the biggest crowd ever at Baum Stadium, over 11,000. As long as they don't lose the series against Vandy this weekend you'd think they'd really make up some ground in the polls they aren't ranked #1.

Yikes- that stay at #1 didn't last long- Vanderbilt's pitching has stopped the Hogs almost completely, 9-0 Friday and 13-6 Saturday. I'm almost hoping it rains all day Sunday at this point- the Hogs need to regroup for the midweek LA-Monroe series. Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!

The Baseball Hogs broke their three game losing streak in dramatic fashion today. Scott Lyons hit a 2 run 2 out homerun in the bottom of the 10th inning after the Hogs had lost the lead in the top of the 9th and then got behind 1 run in the top of the 10th. The game had 6 lead changes and 11 different pitchers- great game (especially since the Hogs won :P )

Oh yeah- they were playing La. Monroe.

The Baseball Hogs broke their three game losing streak in dramatic fashion today. Scott Lyons hit a 2 run 2 out homerun in the bottom of the 10th inning after the Hogs had lost the lead in the top of the 9th and then got behind 1 run in the top of the 10th. The game had 6 lead changes and 11 different pitchers- great game (especially since the Hogs won :P )

Oh yeah- they were playing La. Monroe.

Granted they had already lost a game to them as well. Hopefully they'll get things going again soon. Competition is tough in the SEC. I think Georgia has a better SEC record now and LSU is pretty close as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The Razorback track team won the Penn Relays for the first time in 2 or 3 years. There's also a big match up in baseball to decide the SEC West division in baseball as well between the Hogs and LSU. But doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate so I'm not sure how many if any of the games will end up getting played.

• 2 weeks later...

The baseball team seems to be sliding down as the end of the season gets closer. They've lost another SEC series and are now several games back from the lead in the SEC West and in the middle of the pack. Not a lot of time to try to cut the lead down either. Seems like they tend to start the season off well and slump a bit as the season goes on.

Archived