Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

Oh no....say it ain't so! Unbelievable...he's the last one I would have thought that of. Sure didn't seem like it was going on when he was here but who knows? His dad is saying that they weren't his drugs, just that drugs were in the car and Matt was closest to them. I imagine this will take a while to play out and Matt's NFL career will be hanging on the outcome (although it seems like anybody can come back in the NFL- the league is very forgiving :rolleyes: )

The NFL has given multiple players more than one chance. Pacman Jones has had at least 3 strikes along with some serious allegations while in Vegas a year or two ago. Now he is with the Cowboys. Although Matt Jones has under performed for most of his NFL career, so he may not be given another chance by the Jags. I had always heard that he was just lazy.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NFL has given multiple players more than one chance. Pacman Jones has had at least 3 strikes along with some serious allegations while in Vegas a year or two ago. Now he is with the Cowboys. Although Matt Jones has under performed for most of his NFL career, so he may not be given another chance by the Jags. I had always heard that he was just lazy.

Yeah I think a lot of people think he has potential. But yeah his laid back personality just isn't helping him in the NFL. Maybe someone will give him another chance, but it's also probably going to depend on how things go. If he loses this and has to go to jail for even just a few years, I have a hard time seeing him being physically and mentally ready to try to re enter the league. Maybe he'll get another shot, but I don't know. I just get the feeling his NFL career might be over.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd forgotten to post something about this earlier. Although there hasn't been a lot of details. But looks like the basketball team took a big blow. Apparently Beverley won't be back for next season. No one would comment what happened. Over the weekend all I heard was that Beverley was considering playing in Europe. Seems like that's the thing everyone is looking into now. But today word started coming out that he's basically not eligible because of his academics.

I'd forgotten to post something about this earlier. Although there hasn't been a lot of details. But looks like the basketball team took a big blow. Apparently Beverley won't be back for next season. No one would comment what happened. Over the weekend all I heard was that Beverley was considering playing in Europe. Seems like that's the thing everyone is looking into now. But today word started coming out that he's basically not eligible because of his academics.

I thought there had been a special effort to make sure stuff like this didn't happen. The athletic department had a new education area built and people designated to watch out for students having academic problems. How do you let your best basketball player flunk out? :dontknow:

It's been a bad summer for the athletic department - lots of arrests and now this.

There was a new media deal announed this week- a company that has deals with several SEC schools singed a 10 year deal for rights to UA sports. Sounds like there will be new signage in Walton Arena like you see in NBA arenas. There were seveal other changes and the deal will make a lot more money for the department.

I thought there had been a special effort to make sure stuff like this didn't happen. The athletic department had a new education area built and people designated to watch out for students having academic problems. How do you let your best basketball player flunk out? :dontknow:

It's been a bad summer for the athletic department - lots of arrests and now this.

There was a new media deal announced this week- a company that has deals with several SEC schools singed a 10 year deal for rights to UA sports. Sounds like there will be new signage in Walton Arena like you see in NBA arenas. There were seveal other changes and the deal will make a lot more money for the department.

Yeah, just makes me wonder if Beverley just didn't really want to be here anymore. He was going to leave before but Pelphrey talked him into staying. I just sorta get the impression he just didn't want to be here anymore. I would think the university would know about his grades beforehand. They might have just tried to keep things quiet because they knew fans weren't going to be happy.

Still not sure exactly what happened with Beverley. He had apparently came out and said it wasn't grades but that he had broken some NCAA rule, but never would say exactly what it was. Doesn't sound like the university will comment on it either because of student confidentiality. So we might not ever know.

The U of A signed a deal with ISP sports recently. The university will get $73 Mil over the 10 year deal. The Arkansas Razorback Sports Network, the subsidiary of KATV down in Little Rock had been the one with the sports rights. Makes sense ISP will cover some areas that ARSN just wasn't covering. Although in some ways I think this is also a bit of the falling out between the university and KATV from when the university didn't pick the KATV anchor to replace Paul Ells. ISP also has deals with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina and Vanderbilt in the SEC.

Still not sure exactly what happened with Beverley. He had apparently came out and said it wasn't grades but that he had broken some NCAA rule, but never would say exactly what it was. Doesn't sound like the university will comment on it either because of student confidentiality. So we might not ever know.

The U of A signed a deal with ISP sports recently. The university will get $73 Mil over the 10 year deal. The Arkansas Razorback Sports Network, the subsidiary of KATV down in Little Rock had been the one with the sports rights. Makes sense ISP will cover some areas that ARSN just wasn't covering. Although in some ways I think this is also a bit of the falling out between the university and KATV from when the university didn't pick the KATV anchor to replace Paul Ells. ISP also has deals with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina and Vanderbilt in the SEC.

This was about money. This is a tremendous amount of money the UA wasn't already getting for its athletic department.

KATV was upset about the decision not to choose Inman. I would've preferred him far more than Barrett, who said Nutt leaving Arkansas would set us back 10-15 years and called our fans some unruly names. KATV will remain the flagship station, for what that's worth.

Also announced, all nontelevised games will be shown on pay-per-view. Again, too much revenue to pass up. Broyles was always against this, BTW.

The rule violation by Beverley is interesting. Apparently, he may still sit a year and play next year. It's definitely not academics and not the type of NCAA violation that will get the program investigated.

This was about money. This is a tremendous amount of money the UA wasn't already getting for its athletic department.

KATV was upset about the decision not to choose Inman. I would've preferred him far more than Barrett, who said Nutt leaving Arkansas would set us back 10-15 years and called our fans some unruly names. KATV will remain the flagship station, for what that's worth.

Also announced, all nontelevised games will be shown on pay-per-view. Again, too much revenue to pass up. Broyles was always against this, BTW.

The rule violation by Beverley is interesting. Apparently, he may still sit a year and play next year. It's definitely not academics and not the type of NCAA violation that will get the program investigated.

I've heard Inman is popular in central Ark. But I guess the problem is that nobody in this corner of the state knows anything about him. Anyway maybe you might have an answer for me about something else. I heard KATV would still be the 'flagship' station as far as Razorback sports is concerned. But if ISP is taking over how is KATV going to be any different than any other tv station in Ark that carries all the Razorback programming?

Yeah it's rather odd about Beverley. Apparently some of his family members keep saying it was academics. But that seems to not be the case. Almost sounds like they're trying to cover something up.

The University signed a deal extending the deal to play football games in Little Rock. At first I misheard it and though they said they were going to play 'extra' games down in Little Rock. I believe the deal is now until 2016. The previous deal had it so that we had to play 3 games instead of 2 every four years. But apparently the new deal got rid of that clause and they'll just be playing two games in the remaining years.

I've heard Inman is popular in central Ark. But I guess the problem is that nobody in this corner of the state knows anything about him. Anyway maybe you might have an answer for me about something else. I heard KATV would still be the 'flagship' station as far as Razorback sports is concerned. But if ISP is taking over how is KATV going to be any different than any other tv station in Ark that carries all the Razorback programming?

Yeah it's rather odd about Beverley. Apparently some of his family members keep saying it was academics. But that seems to not be the case. Almost sounds like they're trying to cover something up.

The other 75% of the state knew who Inman was (it's the U of A, not U of NWA), and besides Barrett called our fans "terrorists" and is generally divisive. If the new administration had been in place, I have little doubt that Inman would have been chosen.

Looks like the SEC and ESPN signed a big deal. The SEC just recently extended their deal with CBS on football. The ESPN deal focuses a lot on some of the other sports but also football as well. I'm guessing this means no more JP or now LF coverage for football. Now there should be a lot easier time being able to find SEC games on tv. The ESPN deal is for 15 years and estimated to be worth over $2 Bil. Lot more money for the schools. This does seem to head off speculation over the SEC possibly trying to go out and create their own tv network like some other conferences have done. Seems like the SEC could have pulled off their own network just as well as any other conference. But I won't complain. Cox probably would have charged an outrageous amount to get an SEC tv channel. Now we'll be able to see the games on ABC and all the number of ESPN stations.

Okay I looked around a bit. Lincoln Financial Sports (formerly Jefferson Pilot Sports) had sold off the sports aspect to Raycom. So this year it will be Raycom showing the SEC games on ABC. But next year it will be ABC itself showing the SEC games (along with all the ESPN stations as well). Maybe all the tape delay games will be over for ABC. Although I have seen it mentioned that ESPN could possibly lease out some games to someone like Raycom since ESPN won't be able to cover every single game themselves. If what I saw is correct all the SEC schools will go from getting about $5 Mil a year from tv revenue to about $15 Mil.

Looks like the SEC and ESPN signed a big deal. The SEC just recently extended their deal with CBS on football. The ESPN deal focuses a lot on some of the other sports but also football as well. I'm guessing this means no more JP or now LF coverage for football. Now there should be a lot easier time being able to find SEC games on tv. The ESPN deal is for 15 years and estimated to be worth over $2 Bil. Lot more money for the schools. This does seem to head off speculation over the SEC possibly trying to go out and create their own tv network like some other conferences have done. Seems like the SEC could have pulled off their own network just as well as any other conference. But I won't complain. Cox probably would have charged an outrageous amount to get an SEC tv channel. Now we'll be able to see the games on ABC and all the number of ESPN stations.

Okay I looked around a bit. Lincoln Financial Sports (formerly Jefferson Pilot Sports) had sold off the sports aspect to Raycom. So this year it will be Raycom showing the SEC games on ABC. But next year it will be ABC itself showing the SEC games (along with all the ESPN stations as well). Maybe all the tape delay games will be over for ABC. Although I have seen it mentioned that ESPN could possibly lease out some games to someone like Raycom since ESPN won't be able to cover every single game themselves. If what I saw is correct all the SEC schools will go from getting about $5 Mil a year from tv revenue to about $15 Mil.

Wow- those dollar amounts are amazing. Those along with some of the coaching salaries show just how much of a business college football has become- and all the athletes themselves get is a scholarship unless they are good enough to reach the next level.

It will be great to see more Razorback games though- Go Hogs! :yahoo:

Wow... That's a pretty good payday. Funny how they raised ticket prices BEFORE announcing this deal.

Shaky start for the Razorbacks. I was getting worried it was Citadel all over again. But the Razorbacks finally took at lead late in the game and won. Of course we did have a lot of freshman playing and RB Michael Smith was suspended for the game. I did figure they'd start the season off weakly and get better as the season wore on as they got more experience. But I didn't seriously think we would lose to Western Illinois either. I thought it was interesting how the fans kept cheering the passing game.

Shaky start for the Razorbacks. I was getting worried it was Citadel all over again. But the Razorbacks finally took at lead late in the game and won. Of course we did have a lot of freshman playing and RB Michael Smith was suspended for the game. I did figure they'd start the season off weakly and get better as the season wore on as they got more experience. But I didn't seriously think we would lose to Western Illinois either. I thought it was interesting how the fans kept cheering the passing game.

It wasn't a smooth game, that's for sure. My hopes are that coming games will look better for a few reasons. 1- We have several people out on various lengths of suspension right now that are valuable players. With them back in, we'd have a more solid line. 2- Petrino has now had the opportunity to see them playing in a real game, and will probably be able to figure out the biggest things in need of change.

I said a while back that if a new coach with a mostly new team could pull off even a mediocre season, I'd be impressed, and I still stand by that.

It wasn't a smooth game, that's for sure. My hopes are that coming games will look better for a few reasons. 1- We have several people out on various lengths of suspension right now that are valuable players. With them back in, we'd have a more solid line. 2- Petrino has now had the opportunity to see them playing in a real game, and will probably be able to figure out the biggest things in need of change.

I said a while back that if a new coach with a mostly new team could pull off even a mediocre season, I'd be impressed, and I still stand by that.

I agree, even without a coaching change and such it was going to be a rebuilding year and also a down year. Throw in a new coach and new system and that only complicates things. As the players get used to the new system and the freshmen get some experience things will eventually get better. I guess one other bad note is that overall the SEC looks very very tough this year. But we're just going to have to be patient as Petrino brings in more of his style of players.

Man another nerve racking game with a come from behind scoring drive near the end of the game. Really does make me wonder though what's going to happen when we start playing the quality teams left on the schedule. At least last week there was all the turnovers. But we're just not going to be able to get so far behind against teams like Texas and teams in the SEC and try to make a comeback late in the game.

Did anybody else watch the Ole Miss game yesterday? HDN has a stud at quarterback. If he can't win with him this year he needs to hang it up.

No, I was a little surprised the local ABC showed the Oklahoma game instead rather than the SEC game. But I have heard good things about their QB.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend starts off the toughest schedule the Razorbacks have ever had. This will be the first of 4 games in a row against top ten teams. Previously the hardest stretch we've had was three straight games against top ten teams. With our team rebuilding with a new coach, could be an ugly four weeks.

He had a friend of his steal the paper of another student on campus and he turned it in as his own. Unfortunately for him, he forgot to take her name off of it. Caused a lot of trouble with the girl, who has gone through hell proving it was hers and some persecution from some other students apparently.

Hey, now we can claim to have the stupidest player in the NCAA.

He had a friend of his steal the paper of another student on campus and he turned it in as his own. Unfortunately for him, he forgot to take her name off of it. Caused a lot of trouble with the girl, who has gone through hell proving it was hers and some persecution from some other students apparently.

Hey, now we can claim to have the stupidest player in the NCAA.

Good grief- it reads like from your post that the girl was harrassed because the idiot stole her paper and she spoke up about it. While I'm a fan of Razorback basketball and Beverly as a player that is ridiculous. Some people's priorities are completely out of place. Good riddance if this is true.

• 2 weeks later...

another painful game if you're a Razorback football fan- 52-10 Texas. SEC football has otherwise been great this weekend. Ole Miss upsets Florida and it looks like Alabama will upset Georgia.

Since we play Florida at home next week I wonder if they will be down and out and we'll have a chance or will they be looking to take out their frustrations on the Hogs? Probably the later but I can always hope. :rolleyes:

another painful game if you're a Razorback football fan- 52-10 Texas. SEC football has otherwise been great this weekend. Ole Miss upsets Florida and it looks like Alabama will upset Georgia.

Since we play Florida at home next week I wonder if they will be down and out and we'll have a chance or will they be looking to take out their frustrations on the Hogs? Probably the later but I can always hope. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's certainly been pretty rough halfway through this four game period. With Florida getting upset this week I expect them to be focused and have something to prove. So could be another rough week for Razorback fans. In two weeks it's Auburn and so far their offense has really struggled. But as bad as our defense has been you wonder if Auburn might finally get going on offense when they play us.

Archived