Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

Well, I have a hard time getting excited about that, especially for the 2.2 million we're evidently paying a year, but hopefully he'll be a good coach for the team.

Yeah it's not quite who I was expecting. I really don't know what style of game he goes for. But I believe that Wake Forest is a bit like the Vanderbilt of the ACC. He's had some good years there, especially if it's in a situation like Vanderbilt. Everyone at Wake Forest seems shocked he's coming here. One thing I've noticed is that some candidates that were mentioned earlier seemed to be passed over because of the 'quality' of players they recruited. I don't mean on the field but rather off it. Maybe we'll be a little less likely to have some of our football players that make news by what they've done off the field rather than on it.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's not quite who I was expecting. I really don't know what style of game he goes for. But I believe that Wake Forest is a bit like the Vanderbilt of the ACC. He's had some good years there, especially if it's in a situation like Vanderbilt. Everyone at Wake Forest seems shocked he's coming here. One thing I've noticed is that some candidates that were mentioned earlier seemed to be passed over because of the 'quality' of players they recruited. I don't mean on the field but rather off it. Maybe we'll be a little less likely to have some of our football players that make news by what they've done off the field rather than on it.

All I can say is WHO? Doesn't Wake Forest play basketball...I don't recall them having much of a football history. Is there some sort of link between out new A.D. and this coach?

All I can say is WHO? Doesn't Wake Forest play basketball...I don't recall them having much of a football history. Is there some sort of link between out new A.D. and this coach?

Yeah, WF is certainly not a traditional football program...BUT, Grobe did lead them to a BCS bowl and an ACC title. For Wake to win a football title in that conference was pretty amazing, which says a lot about what their football program USED to be. I'd call him semi-proven. The ACC isn't exactly top shelf but he did take a cellar dweller to the top of it. Overall though, i'm not too excited.

Grobe is probably the most respected ACC coach to be honest because of what he has done for them the past few years. That was the word that I heard.

Unfortunately, it appears he crawfished also and will not be coming to the UA. It was almost too predictable given recent events with Arkansas coaching searches. I saw the paper saying he would be our coach last night but he had not signed yet. Looks like the morning proves different as it said he had a change of heart before flying back here for the announcement. Ironically there is an article by Wally Hall, "LIKE IT IS : The waiting is over; UA finds its man in Grobe"

What is wrong with our press, our chancellor, our "sources", etc.?

Grobe says no

Grobe is probably the most respected ACC coach to be honest because of what he has done for them the past few years. That was the word that I heard.

Unfortunately, it appears he crawfished also and will not be coming to the UA. It was almost too predictable given recent events with Arkansas coaching searches. I saw the paper saying he would be our coach last night but he had not signed yet. Looks like the morning proves different as it said he had a change of heart before flying back here for the announcement. Ironically there is an article by Wally Hall, "LIKE IT IS : The waiting is over; UA finds its man in Grobe"

Grobe says no

What more can I say than...GEEZ!

Grobe says no

With all of these coaches saying NO to an SEC school, I am starting to get concerned. This is kind of an embarassment. It is not as bad as the basketball coaching problem we had earlier in the year, but it could be going that way. I think that we might have made a mistake letting Nutt leave. My support is beginning to be with Reggie Herring.

With all of these coaches saying NO to an SEC school, I am starting to get concerned. This is kind of an embarassment. It is not as bad as the basketball coaching problem we had earlier in the year, but it could be going that way. I think that we might have made a mistake letting Nutt leave. My support is beginning to be with Reggie Herring.

I'm in total agreement on Herring. Give him a 1 or 2 year contract and lets see what he can do. He genuinely wants the job and he'll take any reasonable offer I'd bet. We all know next year could be really rough so if he can somehow manage to pull out the Meineke Car Care Bowl or something then we might know he's got potential.

Herring was part of the problem, though not the big part. I don't even care to have him back as DC, I'd trade him for John Thompson, the former UA, Florida and Ole Miss DC and East Carolina HC.

There are some good coordinators out there that will jump at the job. Fisher would've if not for FSU promising him Bobby Bowden's job. OU DC Brent Venables and Auburn DC Muschamp will probably be considered.

I'm not too impressed with Herring, but that's because I've seen him in many places. I was at Clemson when he was coaching there (he had his good and bad moments), then I moved to Raleigh and he followed me there and I watched him turn an NC State defense into respectable, or was it that they had some top-notch NFL prospects at the time when he came in? Then I moved back here and he followed shortly after.

Yeah at least he changed his mind before having a press conference here. Or else the similarities to the basketball coach search would be uncanny.

He must have found out that the Renaissance Tower work hasn't begun yet and got disappointed.

Good one. :lol:

Herring was part of the problem, though not the big part. I don't even care to have him back as DC, I'd trade him for John Thompson, the former UA, Florida and Ole Miss DC and East Carolina HC.

There are some good coordinators out there that will jump at the job. Fisher would've if not for FSU promising him Bobby Bowden's job. OU DC Brent Venables and Auburn DC Muschamp will probably be considered.

Once again, this is just rumors, I can't substantiate this. I heard they are interviewing four more people, probably assistant coaches. If none of them work out then the job will go to Malzahn. Once again, take that with a grain of salt. It's hard to tell what's going on.

Once again, this is just rumors, I can't substantiate this. I heard they are interviewing four more people, probably assistant coaches. If none of them work out then the job will go to Malzahn. Once again, take that with a grain of salt. It's hard to tell what's going on.

This was reported while I was home for lunch on KARK but I don't remember any of the names. They did not, however, mention Malzahn at all. I'll also add to take this with a big grain of salt too. Nothing but rumors. KARK did happen to say that web forums "leaking" this type of info might be a part of the problem! :P

This was reported while I was home for lunch on KARK but I don't remember any of the names. They did not, however, mention Malzahn at all. I'll also add to take this with a big grain of salt too. Nothing but rumors. KARK did happen to say that web forums "leaking" this type of info might be a part of the problem! :P

I got that from an old coworker. I'm not validating it, but I will admit he's been right before on some previous matters. But right now I think everyone is just going to have to wait and see what happens.

I'm pretty glad that he didn't come to Arkansas. Jim Grobe wasn't really known either. Although he did take WF to a BCS bowl last year. I heard that he was going to come to Ark. last night and I was pretty disappointed, but now I'm feelin' a little better.

I admit when I first heard about it I wasn't too excited. But after I did some research on him I was getting to like the idea. He seemed to be very well respected throughout the ACC. Everyone outside of Wake in the ACC was excited he was leaving. I think one thing that put people off was his age. Some of the other candidates are just as old but you've heard of them. I think people either expect someone they've heard of or a new up and coming type of guy. It's looking more and more like we will probably have to get someone who's new to head coaching.

Wasn't he around 55 or somewhere around there?

I'm not positive but somewhere around in that area. But some of the other candidates like Butch Davis are just as old. Seeing how things have gone so far I think maybe they might end up with someone young. Although you never know what might happen.

Off to better news, Darren McFadden was named Walter Camp Player of the Year. That award is voted on by all 119 DI coaches and usually is the Heisman winner, it has been the last three seasons.

Jonathan Luigs, another Little Rock product, won the Remington Award for the nation's best center.

It's maybe the problem of press coverage depending on web forums. One good thing about all of this, is that at least we weren't underhanded and had secured a replacement before "firing" Nutt. I applaud Nutt, though, for going out on his terms and leaving to Mississippi with a deal already in the works.

Congrats to McFadden and Luigs. I think McFadden is definitely lucky to be in his position. I don't think they like giving out the awards to guys who'll go in the first round of the NFL draft.

As it was stated by Aporkalypse, Darren won the Walter Camp Award and he also won the Doak Walker Award. Too bad he couldn't take home the Maxwell although, I already knew that Tim Tebow was going to take that one home. We'll just have to see Saturday night to see if Darren can take home the Heisman.

A few more big names are coming out now for the next coach. Norm Chow (Tenn Titans) and Bobby Patrino (ATL Falcons head coach) have both expressed some interest in the job. As well as Cinci coach Brian Kelly and Will Muschamp of Auburn. The players are getting behind Reggie Herring for now. They seem to like him quite a bit, so I still think he could be the next coach. What does everyone think of these new possibilities? And what ever happened to Lane Kiffen?

A few more big names are coming out now for the next coach. Norm Chow (Tenn Titans) and Bobby Patrino (ATL Falcons head coach) have both expressed some interest in the job. As well as Cinci coach Brian Kelly and Will Muschamp of Auburn. The players are getting behind Reggie Herring for now. They seem to like him quite a bit, so I still think he could be the next coach. What does everyone think of these new possibilities? And what ever happened to Lane Kiffen?

I think Kiffin had a big buyout clause too but I could be mistaken.

Congrats to D-Mac and Luigs! The segment devoted to Broyles actually made me proud of him! This is a huge moment in Razorback history ladies and gentlemen with our sometimes esteemed and sometimes infuriating Old Coach stepping aside. The next 2 years are pivotal.

I think Kiffin had a big buyout clause too but I could be mistaken.

Congrats to D-Mac and Luigs! The segment devoted to Broyles actually made me proud of him! This is a huge moment in Razorback history ladies and gentlemen with our sometimes esteemed and sometimes infuriating Old Coach stepping aside. The next 2 years are pivotal.

There almost seems to be a true "Urban Planet" lesson in all this, at least for me.

If I'm not mistaken, there were tremendous improvements to Don W. Reynolds Razorback stadium during the HDN era. Certainly, the NWA metro area "exploded" then...it would be fascinating to have had a series of 24 hour web cams which could have captured the growth over a period of years that occurred during his time as head football coach. And many of the changes at the University of Arkansas itself have been profound as well. In other words, the environment of the U of A has evolved what seems like a hundred- if not thousand-fold since the days of Lou "Fayetteville's not the end of the world" Holtz.

But wisdom has to remind me - the hfc job isn't just about the physical environment. It's all about who you work with, and job expectations, and other such things. And that's what seems to be in place here.

Bobby Petrino of the Atlanta Falcons, huh? Remember what he did at the U of Louisville?

I'm getting the feeling from ESPN that they're pushing or expecting Tebow to win the Heisman. The thing going against Tebow is he sophomore status, but he has garnered many headlines on ESPN.com lately and is picked by some analysts on tv. Whenever McFadden has received an award or when they announced the Heisman finalists they left McFadden off the headlines or put him in like the second page. In

Archived