Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

Looks like news about Tuberville is all over the place. If you look hard enough you can find 'info' around Arkansas and Alabama that claims he is staying or leaving. Supposedly he talked to some news source in Alabama saying he wasn't interested in the job. On his weekly radio show he told fans not to worry. But it's also believed it was recorded earlier before some recent events. He was hunting in Arkansas recently, supposedly unlike other trips, Auburn couldn't get a hold of him. Now supposedly he canceled a recruiting trip to talk to some of his bosses at Auburn. I haven't heard Kiffin's name mentioned much recently. I'm guessing we'll have to wait at least till sometime next week now before any announcement might come. Let's just hope we don't end up with a situation like we had when we got rid of Heath.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everybody expected it so it was just a matter of time. But it sounds a foregone conclusion that Les Miles is leaving LSU for Michigan. Sounds like they'll officially announce it sometime next week after the SEC Championship this weekend. Unfortunately I can see this causing problems for Arkansas just like the Kentucky position in basketball when we were looking for a coach then. Coaches that are/were interested in Arkansas might back down and become interested in LSU. This could mean having to go further down the list of candidates or waiting longer to getting one to commit to us.

I think everybody expected it so it was just a matter of time. But it sounds a foregone conclusion that Les Miles is leaving LSU for Michigan. Sounds like they'll officially announce it sometime next week after the SEC Championship this weekend. Unfortunately I can see this causing problems for Arkansas just like the Kentucky position in basketball when we were looking for a coach then. Coaches that are/were interested in Arkansas might back down and become interested in LSU. This could mean having to go further down the list of candidates or waiting longer to getting one to commit to us.

Well it's been a crazy season this year. Now Les Miles stated before the SEC Championship game that he is not leaving and flat out stated he will be coach of LSU next year. Assuming he's not pulling a Saban, this should make it a bit easier to pull in a coach with one less big position open near us in the SEC.

Injury plagued LSU managed to hold on and win the SEC Championship so Arkansas most likely will go to the Cotton Bowl.

Yep, that is exactly what happened but we are playing a very talented Missouri team. They have only lost 2 games all year and they were to my Sooners. I think they really got screwed by not getting a BCS game over Kansas. This is considering strength of schedules as well. Anyway, with Arkansas coaching questions and a average passing defense we are going to have a tough time with this matchup. At least we are professionals at playing in the Cotton Bowl and we travel very well.

Yep, that is exactly what happened but we are playing a very talented Missouri team. They have only lost 2 games all year and they were to my Sooners. I think they really got screwed by not getting a BCS game over Kansas. This is considering strength of schedules as well. Anyway, with Arkansas coaching questions and a average passing defense we are going to have a tough time with this matchup. At least we are professionals at playing in the Cotton Bowl and we travel very well.

Man, Missouri did get screwed over, how do go from being No. 1 3 days ago to having a team you beat last week going to a BCS game instaed of you? Also, I think OU would have made a better choice for No. 1- they look like the best team in the nation right now. I'd really like to see them play LSU- would be a great game. Oh well...typical end of season BCS nuttiness.

Hopefully the Razorbacks coaching staff isn't going to be distracted and the team suffer because of it. The Hogs can beat Missouri but it'll have to be the team that played LSU, not the one that played Tenn.

There is a history of teams being disappointed by dropping down and end up playing badly and getting beaten in their bowl games. Let's hope this is the case again. But things certainly aren't normal for the Razorbacks, so it's hard to say what will happen. I do think Arkansas is certainly capable of beating Missouri. A nice match up for NWA. Although I imagine other parts of the state would rather play someone else.

There was some controversy over our assistant coaches working for Arkansas but recruiting for Ole Miss. Sounds like they've tried to fix that issue. Still no word on a new coach yet. If you look hard enough on the internet you can see dozens of names listed, so who knows. It does sound like though that it won't be Herring. Long sounds like he has a history of totally starting over from scratch and it looks like he decided that was the way to go in this case as well.

Gus Malzahn, eh?

(The other two candidates kind of pale in comparison, IMO.)

I'm not sure what to think. I can't say I know much about English, but after seeing his defense having troubles stopping anyone, including App St, it worries me a bit. I'm starting to get the feeling that Arkansas can't get anyone at the top of their list and are now moving on down. I do have a question about Malzahn though. Does anyone think hiring him would cause problems in being able to get all the fans together? Malzahn has never said anything bad about his time as OC. But I think some pro-Nutt fans would be bothered/annoyed if he was hired. Personally my only problem would be wondering if he's ready to coach in the SEC. I just wonder if it might take some time to 'fine tune' his offense. Then again to be honest I get the feeling we'll be down the next year or two anyway. I think it will take some time for the new coach, whoever it is, to bring in some recruits and get things going again.

I'm not sure what to think. I can't say I know much about English, but after seeing his defense having troubles stopping anyone, including App St, it worries me a bit. I'm starting to get the feeling that Arkansas can't get anyone at the top of their list and are now moving on down. I do have a question about Malzahn though. Does anyone think hiring him would cause problems in being able to get all the fans together? Malzahn has never said anything bad about his time as OC. But I think some pro-Nutt fans would be bothered/annoyed if he was hired. Personally my only problem would be wondering if he's ready to coach in the SEC. I just wonder if it might take some time to 'fine tune' his offense. Then again to be honest I get the feeling we'll be down the next year or two anyway. I think it will take some time for the new coach, whoever it is, to bring in some recruits and get things going again.

Tommy Bowden is a big name proven coach at a big name school. He's been coach of the year in the ACC twice and never had a losing season there at Clemson. He's familar with the SEC having been assistant coach at several SEC schools. He sounds like a great option.

Yeah, I don't think hiring Malzahn would be starting fresh- it would just continue the friction and he isn't a proven head coach at this level, which is what we need.

Tommy Bowden is a big name proven coach at a big name school. He's been coach of the year in the ACC twice and never had a losing season there at Clemson. He's familar with the SEC having been assistant coach at several SEC schools. He sounds like a great option.

Yeah, I don't think hiring Malzahn would be starting fresh- it would just continue the friction and he isn't a proven head coach at this level, which is what we need.

Tommy Bowden seems to be the one Long has settled on and now the Board of Trustees are giving input. Apparently some have argued that he's a 'lateral' move. He hasn't won the ACC a bit like Nutt not having won the SEC either. I admit I really don't know a lot about him. Either way I'm not going to get excited just yet. I've also heard he may be trying to use us to get more money or an extension out of Clemson.

Tommy Bowden seems to be the one Long has settled on and now the Board of Trustees are giving input. Apparently some have argued that he's a 'lateral' move. He hasn't won the ACC a bit like Nutt not having won the SEC either. I admit I really don't know a lot about him. Either way I'm not going to get excited just yet. I've also heard he may be trying to use us to get more money or an extension out of Clemson.

Last Clemson guy we got didn't work out so well... This is exactly what I was afraid of. We finally get rid of Nutt and there's no one available worth hiring who'd come here.

I will kind of be surprised if they don't give Herring a shot at this. We are not going to have a great team next year anyway that I know of. It would be interesting to see what he can do with it. I just hope we can get the recruits that we have been working on over the past year.

Last Clemson guy we got didn't work out so well... This is exactly what I was afraid of. We finally get rid of Nutt and there's no one available worth hiring who'd come here.

I agree.... but I wouldn't be surprised if Bowden is only showing interest Arkansas so that he can get a raise from Clemson -- and a contract extension. What stinks is that most universities will be willing to shell out the big bucks to keep a good head coach with a consistent winning record (unless you're Arkansas), so they're very hard to lure into a high-stress position in Fayetteville. If you're winning (most games) and you're loved, why move?

I'm afraid that we're going to be forced into taking a risk on a up-and-coming coordinator. (English, Malzahn, Herring, etc.) And if that's the case, it will be pretty difficult to keep any good recruits. Most will want to follow the big-name coaches at established programs.

Yikes.

I agree.... but I wouldn't be surprised if Bowden is only showing interest Arkansas so that he can get a raise from Clemson -- and a contract extension. What stinks is that most universities will be willing to shell out the big bucks to keep a good head coach with a consistent winning record (unless you're Arkansas), so they're very hard to lure into a high-stress position in Fayetteville. If you're winning (most games) and you're loved, why move?

I'm afraid that we're going to be forced into taking a risk on a up-and-coming coordinator. (English, Malzahn, Herring, etc.) And if that's the case, it will be pretty difficult to keep any good recruits. Most will want to follow the big-name coaches at established programs.

Yikes.

NWA Online (The News) says it won't be Tommy Bowden.

Yeah looks like someone else used us to help get more money or an extension. I am sorta wondering if the could eventually get down to Herring. Seems like we just keep going down the list. One of the other names, Ron English, could end up as the Michigan coach so I don't know if he's too interested. Although considering he was the DC at Michigan and how bad their defense was this year, makes me wonder about him. I have a feeling Malzahn won't be hired as head coach. I get more the impression that maybe they were just being polite because they would like to have him as OC in the near future. I also think the pro-Nutt fans may not get behind Malzahn. That and I just don't know if you could put someone in charge at an SEC school that's so little removed from high school football. As time keeps going by I think Herring's chances will improve. I also think some of the Board of Trustees could go for Herring because he probably wouldn't have any problem trying to bring back Malzahn as OC. I suppose it's either that or Long will have to go down the list further and consider some of the others like Leach who I think he dismissed earlier as a serious candidate.

Looks like the rumors and speculation are spreading all over. Looks like there's a lot of it going on with Malzahn. Some saying he's going to Arkansas or to Nebraska. But as usual it's hard to tell what's really going on.

There has been a lot of drama the last 24 hours. Don't be surprised to see a couple bigger names you already heard linked come back up again.

There has been a lot of drama the last 24 hours. Don't be surprised to see a couple bigger names you already heard linked come back up again.

I already hear rumors that are all over the board. :lol: At this point none of the rumors surprise me. Maybe I'll be surprised when one of the rumors finally comes true. Now I'm even hearing Long has given up getting a 'name' coach and is looking for someone who will be an 'up and coming' coach who's new to being a head coach. But like I said before, with so many things out there, it's hard to tell what really has some meat to it.

It's sad this is all happening again. I'm thinking it must be White causing the issues since he used to be an athletic director. We had the same thing happen with basketball looking for an established coach and all first. I was all for finding a rising star coach like Pelphrey instead of a public figure who already had some success. The Arkansas coaching job is still not looking to be a highly desired position by proven coaches, which they should've learned early on, especially with the instability of athletic director position and much of the drama in the past year.

The quality of football coaches that we've been trying to get have been bad ideas in my opinion and not a good sign for our AD and program. Tuberville and Bowden are NOT good coaches to choose and would just continue our frustration as fans with bad play-calling decisions and underachieving being rampant. I know plenty about Bowden and he had not been a shining example of what we wanted. It's basically like getting another Nutt. So thank God for not signing Bowden.

I'd like to see a black coach. I'm tired of the prototypes of coaches going around being white. It would be a positive thing I think. We could continue setting our example for other colleges since we've seen our fans grow to like Richardson and football is a bigger step for some people but I think they can make it.

I don't think the skin color of our coach matters one little bit. I liked Richardson a lot, got a kick out of him and he was a good coach. Heath less so, and Pelphery is too new to judge. On the other hand, while I respect what Nutt did with the program, I didn't care for him much at all. I don't think there's a lot of stereotyping going on regarding the race of coaches right now, and I don't think it's important to the point that hiring a black coach would be "setting an example". I think if the candidate best for the job happens to be white, black, yellow, orange, purple, or flourescent pink it shouldn't matter, and no one would really think anything of it. (well, flourescent pink might get some interest). That said, I'm afraid this search is becoming a minor disaster, and for something that was supposed to be done as quietly as the basketball coach search was, there are a lot of "sources" close to the search that keep yapping about whoever we might be considering that day. I can't blame people for being apprehensive to come here when things function like a soap opera. :lol:

I don't think the skin color of our coach matters one little bit. I liked Richardson a lot, got a kick out of him and he was a good coach. Heath less so, and Pelphery is too new to judge. On the other hand, while I respect what Nutt did with the program, I didn't care for him much at all. I don't think there's a lot of stereotyping going on regarding the race of coaches right now, and I don't think it's important to the point that hiring a black coach would be "setting an example". I think if the candidate best for the job happens to be white, black, yellow, orange, purple, or flourescent pink it shouldn't matter, and no one would really think anything of it. (well, flourescent pink might get some interest). That said, I'm afraid this search is becoming a minor disaster, and for something that was supposed to be done as quietly as the basketball coach search was, there are a lot of "sources" close to the search that keep yapping about whoever we might be considering that day. I can't blame people for being apprehensive to come here when things function like a soap opera. :lol:

I think one problem is that the university keeps setting themselves up for this. They acted like they wanted to hire someone rather quickly. Other schools have had their football coaches leave and not get another coach for a couple of months. Then there's also the problem of having a number of people involved with the process. Sounds like the Board of Trustees are getting a say in this also. When you get more and more people involved it seems like info keeps getting leaked. A bit of info gets leaked people go overboard and assume they know who the new coach will be and then it falls through. I think the process is natural except in this case people are finding out about it. I think things like this tend to happen but usually it's kept quieter so you never know that maybe some of these other schools almost got someone else but it fell through. It's frustrating but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Archived