Courtside

Southend

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my way into work i got a glance @ the back of courtside... it looked as if they we're doing something decorative to where the stairwell/elevator shaft runs. i don't know for sure... maybe it was the soft purple hue of the morning sky or the warm glow of the eastern sun... but the back of courtside looked like it was improving.

can someone confirm my vision?

I went for a run tonight and checked out the new geegaws. It is hard to describe the effect, but already it looks worlds better, and I'm sure they are only in the beginning stages.

They have some sort of scaffolding around the elevator lobby on the roof (the box with the Y roof on it), but it is unclear what they will change about it. They also have some sort of stripes (hard to tell if it is just paint or it is moulding) in the blank sections of the back wall. They currently have two vertical stripes on either side of the small windows of the stairwell/elevator shaft. Then it looks like they are creating horizontal strips between the small windows to the right of the other.

At the very least, the stripes add some framing and some visual interest to an otherwise blank wall. I'm going to remain optimistic that there is more to come.

Sorry to be so slow, haven't read this thread in a while. Saw the gewgaws today with my own eyes. And while it is better than it was, it still ain't great. I never thought I'd see the day that I would think a building needs more EFIS.

And thanks to 28202 for the new term. I plan to try and work it into conversation from this point forward.

How did anything so glaringly bland as the back of the Courtside ever get off the drawing boards????

I think it just kinda happened. Remember, Courtside was a 12 story building that became 15, 16, then 17 stories as customers were practically begging for units.

He scale up the design as the height increased, but it makes some sense that I he didn't pay close enough attention to the back, as it all happened very quickly.

That said, I hope that the embellishments to the back that he is pursuing now end up looking okay. It will never be a masterpiece, but as long as it isn't horrible, then we'll all survive. In a way, it is a cautionary tale for all the future buildings. The ironic twist, is that Furman is now commercially the most affected by the ugliness of the back of Courtside. He has plans to sell a large number of units at Quarterside/Citysquare. I'm sure that that is the primary reason he is doing what he can now to make it look decent.

Sorry to be so slow, haven't read this thread in a while. Saw the gewgaws today with my own eyes. And while it is better than it was, it still ain't great. I never thought I'd see the day that I would think a building needs more EFIS.

Don't fret MC, o ye of little faith :P I have some good news for y'all.

I recently spoke with someone at Blvd Centro and they assured me that Furman is intent on making Courtside's rear end - er, backside - much nicer to look at. Apparently like many of us, he also wasn't crazy about the way it came out, so he's going to spend a LOT of $$$ to pretty it up. Though, as I previously mentioned, it probably won't be done until March so be patient.

Like Dubone said, he probably is motivated to do this in order to help his Quarterside/CitiSquare units sell in addition to professional pride issues.

A few shots of Courtside's progress from today:

My lighting is bad, so you probably can't see the silverish gray color on the fin where some of the protective coverings have fallen off.

img3403r129wr.jpg

Not a great way to meet the street. Furman said he worked hard on this and that it will look better when it's complete, "but it's a parking garage". I am surprised he didn't wrap the garage with units. The other side (facing the elder home) is a bit less attractive.

img33937at.jpg

img3385r116no.jpg

img339111qg.jpg

Mr. Furman, you have redeemed yourself significantly.

In my view, the three dimensional touches added in the last week bring the back of Courtside to a passable level. It isn't timeless art or anything, but it is passable.

I like the addition of the long verticle stretch of glass. Those few random windows on that line before just looked, well, random.

Archived