Courtside

Southend

Just think of the back of Courtside as being some of that "grit" we're missing? :rolleyes:

It's not unusual for a building to have one or even two bland sides. Perhaps Furman decided that was the most likely side to have a tower blocking it off in the future. And it could still be dressed up someday with trim or something.

The extreme example I remember in Los Angeles, were some of the flat, boring old buildings that had their windows painted over on one side. The entire face was converted to a HUUUUGE mural or billboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually thought it looked rather cool. :blush: Definitely added a grit factor (not that I think that's necessary, but I like the effect in this case)... besides, it is likely to look sleeker by the time they're done with it. I actually hope it does look a little more decorated.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what decoration do you think they'll do? christmas lights?

it isn't going to happen. i think it looks right now almost as it will look in the end. as far as the hopes that another tower will block it a bit, that also isn't going to happen. All the land on the north side of 6th street near courtside is either already occupied by low rise projects or have low rises planned (first ward place, autumn place, first ward rec center, court6, renwick, mstreet, and the furman project at 6th and mcdowell.)

The courtside back will always be visible.

:thumbsdown:

yes, the back of this building does leave something to be desired...but whatever. i think the reason furman faced the good side towards CBD is because he knows that is where courtsides owners work. i bet E7 likes his view of courtside from work and when he moves in he will like his view of his workplace from home.

*btw, i think the back of the building could have been made nicer if only he had more glass or if the window placements had been designed with more creativity.

yes, the back of this building does leave something to be desired...but whatever. i think the reason furman faced the good side towards CBD is because he knows that is where courtsides owners work. i bet E7 likes his view of courtside from work and when he moves in he will like his view of his workplace from home.

*btw, i think the back of the building could have been made nicer if only he had more glass or if the window placements had been designed with more creativity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I concur.

I concur.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I concur mostly. Court 6 will help make this side look better. But I'm not sure if all it needed was better glass or more creative window treatments. It also needs basic design. It's looks thrown together back there. On the other hand, it mimics the look of the back of the AT&T builidng across 6th.

my big problem with it is the box on the roof with the V roof. i think if it were painted a different color or something it would somehow look better. right now, it just looks like they added that as an elevator lobby for the roof, and just extended the stucco up the back exterior wall. it looks a little goofed.

Ruth's Chris Steak House is expecting big things in the Queen City. A month before it opens its first Charlotte location in SouthPark and even before its uptown spot is leased, executives are scouting the area for a third steakhouse site, according to sources familiar with the plans.

Wonder if Ruth's Chris will lease the bottom of Courtside for its Uptown location?

The backside of courtside

37338311-L.jpg

37338315-L.jpg

court6 has sticks for its first story.

37338317-L.jpg

(notice that they were taking down the crane today... it gets shorter as the photo tour goes on :) )

37338319-L.jpg

imaginon...

37338321-L.jpg

37338326-L.jpg

And the 6th Street side, almost done with the masonry

37338332-L-2.jpg

37338335-L.jpg

and i guess you can park in the deck :)

37338337-L.jpg

37338339-L.jpg

the glass on the rounded corner now goes all the way to the top. i'm also glad they built that visor. at first i wasn't sure if they cut that out, and it looks much better with it on.

37338340-L.jpg

37338342-L.jpg

37338346-L.jpg

37338357-L.jpg

and a little later... you can see that the crane is almost gone now....

37338948-L.jpg

37338974-L.jpg

i agree. it contributes so much to the area already. i had visitors from out of town over the weekend, and just the virtue of having a highrise under construction, they were extremely impressed.

The back is already starting to sit okay with with me. when you see it in the context of everything else, you mostly just notice the big steps the building takes, and the top, while unimpressive, doesn't stand out too much. It sure as heck is welcome compared the roof of the bellsouth communications equipment next door.

• 2 weeks later...

looks great from the front. That "Breakfast Club" building looks disgusting, it should be torn down. The condo's with the feature window look awesome, for how much do they go for?

Back when they first went on sale, they were going for the high $400K starting from the bottom. Now, I'm guessing they'd be closer to high $500K.

Archived