Courtside

Southend

Charlotte Cotton Mills apartments (now changed to Camden Cotton Mills, unfortunately) has exposed unpainted concrete ceilings. I lived there for 2 years and most people, except for older people like my mom of course, found them to their liking. Definitely has a very loft-like feel. Not for everyone, but it definitely was the polar opposite of what you'd find in Southern Living, which was my objective.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I think it's a combination of both. The styles of the product mesh well with the overall look and feel that they're going for, so it's a natural choice for them (plus, I believe it's cheaper than hardwoods), it's just not as durable. I think the thought process is to get it installed, have the homeowner get a few good years out of it (hopefully), then let them deal with replacing it later if they want. That's what I'm looking at, at least.

If you're talking about cork, then yes... anything with significant weight on a "point" will dent it. As will dropping something. But, in all fairness, the cork naturally has small 'dents' and imperfections all over it (well, at least my style does... there are tons of variations). So, the dents from chairs, heels, etc aren't all that noticeable on mine.

It reminds me of an episode from Will & Grace where Grace is on the phone talking to a client that just had cork flooring installed. She said, "You're going to love it. Just a few things to remember: Don't walk on it, no heavy furniture, and wait five years before having children." Truer words were never spoken!

Oh, and about the noise insulation... I'd say it's better than hardwood, but nowhere near as quiet as carpeting. Somewhere in between. If they're trying to sell you on it's insulating factor, well.. take it with a grain of salt.

If you're talking about cork, then yes... anything with significant weight on a "point" will dent it. As will dropping something. But, in all fairness, the cork naturally has small 'dents' and imperfections all over it (well, at least my style does... there are tons of variations). So, the dents from chairs, heels, etc aren't all that noticeable on mine.

It reminds me of an episode from Will & Grace where Grace is on the phone talking to a client that just had cork flooring installed. She said, "You're going to love it. Just a few things to remember: Don't walk on it, no heavy furniture, and wait five years before having children." Truer words were never spoken!

Oh, and about the noise insulation... I'd say it's better than hardwood, but nowhere near as quiet as carpeting. Somewhere in between. If they're trying to sell you on it's insulating factor, well.. take it with a grain of salt.

With respec too the bamboo flooring, it seems to be harder than hardwoods and pretty scratch resistant. It doesn't, however, have the same heavy, expensive feel to it that hardwoods do.

Then I'd also recommend installing heavy black drapes (closed at all times) and have no furniture!

With respec too the bamboo flooring, it seems to be harder than hardwoods and pretty scratch resistant. It doesn't, however, have the same heavy, expensive feel to it that hardwoods do.

I've heard that about bamboo. I'm considering replacing my cork with it. Someone that has it, let me know how it works out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived