Courtside

Southend

If it were in Courtisde, it would be the biggest Quiznos ever at 7,000 square feet.

haha--thanks for pointing this out. i think my stomach misread the original post. :-(

looks like things are going well, which is good to hear. any words of advice for incoming owners (although i'm not in until may...)?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha--thanks for pointing this out. i think my stomach misread the original post. :-(

looks like things are going well, which is good to hear. any words of advice for incoming owners (although i'm not in until may...)?

Make sure you get the key to let the cable guy into the booth at the end of the hallway. Oh, and try to figure out a place to have visitors park. The one drawback I see (similar to the one mentioned for the Garrison) is that there's not anywhere for the casual visitor to park unless they're willing to walk two blocks or pay to park in the lot across the street. Most Charlotteans, as I'm learning, are pretty unhappy about either of those options. At least if you prepare them ahead of time with your 1st Ward guest passes and good directions, that will take some of the edge off.

I don't have the info here, but I distinctly remember tallying the guest, as well as handicap & moving van spaces at the Garrison and all were inside a secured parking area on one level with these elevator gizmos to double the capacity for any buyer that wants extra spaces. I thing Charlotte native has some bad info. I will check. I recall them having the highest parking/guest ratios of all and also not as much of an elevator crunch as some of the 300-400 unit buildings.

I will get the correct answers and put on that thread.

Hey Courtside owners..how may elevators are in the building ?

I am curous because I was reading through materials on Trademark's website and it's only going to have 2 elevators. I think the project has over 200 units with office space on the first 7 floors. Shouldn't there be more elevators in a project this scale ? That seems like bad planning.

According to the elevator bible (Vertical Transportation, Elevators and Escalators by George R. Strakosch), the general rule of thumb for higher-priced condominiums is one elevator per 60 units. One cab should be larger and act as the "service elevator" so that furniture can be accomodated. To put this in perspective, Post Gateway apartments is 8 stories and has 169 units and 5 elevators.

Remember that Courstide grew from something like 10 stories to 17. It's quite possible that Furman knew he had the demand to go higher, but realized he was constrained by the elevator layout. Oh well, I guess people will have a lot of chances to meet each other at Courtside....

Remember that Courstide grew from something like 10 stories to 17. It's quite possible that Furman knew he had the demand to go higher, but realized he was constrained by the elevator layout. Oh well, I guess people will have a lot of chances to meet each other at Courtside....

Trademark, the 28 story project on West Trade, has only 2 elevators and was designed from the outset as a 20-something story building. Courtside should be fine with only 2, but to have the same number at Trademark will be crazy.

Those two elevators also serve the parking deck. So you'll have people getting off at many of the first 6 floors to get to their cars, rather than everyone headed down to the first floor. Hopefully, though, it'll be a situation where the people who live in the first 6 floors will have parking spaces on the same level as their condo, so that will cut out a lot of elevator demand (for cases where they are driving somewhere).

Make sure you get the key to let the cable guy into the booth at the end of the hallway. Oh, and try to figure out a place to have visitors park. The one drawback I see (similar to the one mentioned for the Garrison) is that there's not anywhere for the casual visitor to park unless they're willing to walk two blocks or pay to park in the lot across the street. Most Charlotteans, as I'm learning, are pretty unhappy about either of those options. At least if you prepare them ahead of time with your 1st Ward guest passes and good directions, that will take some of the edge off.

what are the 1st ward guest passes? where does it entitle you to park, how much does it cost, etc.? (sorry, still haven't moved to charlotte and not too familiar)

Trademark, the 28 story project on West Trade, has only 2 elevators and was designed from the outset as a 20-something story building. Courtside should be fine with only 2, but to have the same number at Trademark will be crazy.

That does sound bad. I am aware of a condo building in Myrtle Beach (22 - 24 stories I think) that was cut back to two elevators to save money, and its practically impossible to get to the upper floors because the elevators stay busy all day long.

This building has another design problem as they routed the garbage chute where the 3rd elevator was supposed to go. As a result there is a dumpster hidden behind a sheetrock wall in the lobby. I have heard that when someone tosses out something like a wine bottle from one of the top floors and it hits that dumpster it sounds like a bomb going off. haha

I do give them credit however for using concrete on the exterior instead of EFIS.

what are the 1st ward guest passes? where does it entitle you to park, how much does it cost, etc.? (sorry, still haven't moved to charlotte and not too familiar)

You can get visitor passes and your own decal at the Park It office.

Park It!

229 South Brevard Street, Suite 102

or call 704-375-3177

Email: [email protected]

http://www.charmeck.nc.us/Departments/Tran...ams/Park+It.htm

Only vehicles with a pass or decal can park in 1st Ward during arena events. The affected streets have signs which say no parking during arena events. The list of events is here

http://charlottebobcatsarena.com.

Make sure you note the event times. Not every event occurs in the evening.

Visitor passes cost $1 each and there's a limit in each calendar year. If you don't return them, you can be denied additional passes during the year. Make sure passes are in locked cars so they are not stolen. There is no limit to temporary visitor passes, if say you're having a big party.

At last night's First Ward meeting, Park It agreed to let people request passes and decals by mail, as long as your address is a First Ward address. You should call them first because I'm not sure they had clarified all the details.

i once worked at the Hilton University Place which had about 250 rooms and 3 elevators. They added a 150 or so room expansion tower and no additional elevators.

When one is down for repairs is when the real problems hit, trust me.

Hey Courtside owners..how may elevators are in the building ?

I am curous because I was reading through materials on Trademark's website and it's only going to have 2 elevators. I think the project has over 200 units with office space on the first 7 floors. Shouldn't there be more elevators in a project this scale ? That seems like bad planning.

Above is the statement that started all of the talk about elevators, but I can't seem to find where TradeMark's website states that the building will only have 2 elevators. I should probably have posted this under the Trademark thread and maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but it would be great if someone could direct me to that information and confirm our concern.

For the owners of Courtside, what do you think about the exposed concrete ceilings? Personally, it would take some time for me to get used to. It just looks so unfinished and poorly surfaced. I know when concrete is properly surfaced, it can look unique. But with the way Courtside was finished, it just looked out of place for a unit that nice. I just want to get an idea what owners think about this? In addition, the supposed hardwood bamboo floor (which I believe is really just laminate) has started to buckle as well. They definitely need to come address that.

Above is the statement that started all of the talk about elevators, but I can't seem to find where TradeMark's website states that the building will only have 2 elevators. I should probably have posted this under the Trademark thread and maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but it would be great if someone could direct me to that information and confirm our concern.

Click on Menu, then plans. Look at the floor plans and you see only 2 elevators.

For the owners of Courtside, what do you think about the exposed concrete ceilings? Personally, it would take some time for me to get used to. It just looks so unfinished and poorly surfaced. I know when concrete is properly surfaced, it can look unique. But with the way Courtside was finished, it just looked out of place for a unit that nice. I just want to get an idea what owners think about this? In addition, the supposed hardwood bamboo floor (which I believe is really just laminate) has started to buckle as well. They definitely need to come address that.

I do know someone that had buckling problems with the bamboo floors, but mine have been fine. They seem very conscientious in addressing problems, so I don't envision it being difficult to get any problems fixed. As far as the ceiling goes, I like it being a little edgy. I bought this place so as to be somewhere as far away from a McMansion as possible. I want owners of those places to walk through the door and just go WTF?

Some people have had good success with painting the ceiling black for a more conventional look that you see in bars and other spaces. I've also played with the idea of putting in a tin ceiling.

You're right Seabreeze, only 2 elevators for TradeMark. I really can't believe that! Hopefully they'll have nice lobbies with flat screen TVs because folks will be spending a good bit of time there waiting on the elevators and will need something to keep them entertained.

^Hmm... I live in a Furman building and we have cork floors. It sounded mod and cool at first, but in reality it has to be the absolute worst flooring product available. Extreme fading, buckling, popping loose. Nearly everyone has had problems and Centro kinda just flipped us off. I wonder if bamboo is going to be as problematic.

^Hmm... I live in a Furman building and we have cork floors. It sounded mod and cool at first, but in reality it has to be the absolute worst flooring product available. Extreme fading, buckling, popping loose. Nearly everyone has had problems and Centro kinda just flipped us off. I wonder if bamboo is going to be as problematic.

Do you think it was a problem with the installation or just with the product? I have to wonder why they would continue to put cork and bamboo floors in if so many people are having problems with them.

Archived