Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's an AACC? Is it like a museum?

The rendering looks pretty good, it will be very different from anything currently downtown. That road will have some neat buildings within a few years: this AACC, and the NASCAR HOF being two.

It stands for the African American Cultural Center (basically a museum dedicated to African American history & culture, and I suppose this one will emphasize Charlotte and the Carolinas contributions from African Americans but surely include national contributions).

The exterior design of the buildings seems to reflect a quilt (as least that's my intrepretation). The myth is that quilts were designed to convey hidden messages indicating a "safe-house" as fleeing slaves traveled along the Underground Railroad.

http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/ugrr.html

http://www.historyofquilts.com/hpowers.html

True or not, quilts still played a major role in the fabric of AA history, if for nothing else to keep warm as a result of the shortage of clothing, etc during and after slavery. My great-aunts and relatives made some of the BEST quilts and I still have some today.

If the interior content is comparable to the exterior rendering, it'll definitely be one of the premiere AA museums in the US.

The Charlotte Afro-American Cultural Center will house art gallaries and performance space, and meeting rooms. They will house the Hewitt Collection of art which is considered to be one of the best collections of African-American art in the USA. In their current location they can only display a small part of the collection.

The rooftop terrace will be available for rent similar to the current Mint Museum of Craft + Design.

So what's an AACC? Is it like a museum?

The rendering looks pretty good, it will be very different from anything currently downtown. That road will have some neat buildings within a few years: this AACC, and the NASCAR HOF being two.

Afro American Cultural Center is an organization that presents performing, visual and education programs that celebrate the contributions of African Americans within the region and the impact of cultural expression from Africa to the African Diaspora.

• 3 months later...

Here are some nice new renderings of the Mint.

http://www.themintmuseums.org/expansion_facility.php

It also provides a good scale of how the two towers will relate in height, without the annoying plexiglass distorting it.

Also, here is a new rendering of the "backside" of the AACC....of course it is designed without windows with the expectation that in the future another building will abut it. I think they did a fine job.

post-1289-1171473748_thumb.jpg

That is impressive design for a facade that is zero-lot-line and will almost certainly be covered by a building going up on Eastern Federal's land. I am very happy with the design of the building, even if the site contraints caused them to pick a simple box for their overall form.

Also, here is a new rendering of the "backside" of the AACC....of course it is designed without windows with the expectation that in the future another building will abut it. I think they did a fine job.

Is that some type of wall with lights separating the AACC from St. Peter's? It looks horrible.

Archived