Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Supposed to open this summer. Construction has been underway since July 2004.

I posted this one for two main reasons. First and most importantly, if a city the size of Akron can concieve and build something this cool, there is no reason we can't. Secondly, its not a large building. Its only 65,000 square feet.

may2005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was there (as were several other UPers). I was impressed with both Wachovia and the architects and contractors that were present. One of the exciting things about the project is that there are four different architectural firms contributing their talents. None of it will look alike, although it will be modern (think Bank of America in Manhattan). We were told that each structure in the project will be seeking LEED certification (including the condominium tower).

There were no renderings, just massing diagrams. The condominium tower will sit on top of the Mint on the Church Street side. The roof of the Mint will become a sculpture garden (they have a huge collection of sculpture they can't display on Randolph due to zoning <read: Eastover residents didn't want modern sculpture around>). A really interesting part was that the service entrance for all parts of the complex (museums, towers, condos, theaters and Afro-Am) will be off of the corner of College and Stonewall. That way, there will be no "butt" to any of the complex.

The only issue I had was with David Wagner's demeanor. He's the Charlotte connection for Mario Botta (Bechtler designer). He couldn't have been more disinterested in the process.

They didn't say, that I heard. The guy from Wachovia who gave the main presentation said again that it would be 46 stories. And although Dubone's elevator theory was a great idea, he kinda shot it down saying some of those elevators were for the trading floor that will go on the back of the tower, church and stonewall corner. (did I say that right?)

Since they are going for the LEED certification we can expect something glassy, which is great I think. And possibly taller floors. Anyone got a pic/rendering of One Bryant Park? Its LEED certified, with 50 something floors and a whopping 1200ft. Maybe we can hope for some nice spires too....

Given the LEED certification goals, here is a new reason for optimism about the tower height. LEED certification will likely mean that Wachovia will borrow many of the concepts and systems incorporated into One Bryant Park. That means there are a lot more things going on between the floors, and therefore much taller floors. We could see a very tall building, even if the floor count stays 46.

Look at it is this way. One Bryant Park is 50 stories, and is 960' not counting antenna/spires. If Wachovia uses that as a model, and also has 19.2 feet per floor, 46 stories could bring it to 883', just a little bit taller than Bank of America Corporate Center. It seems almost certain that it will at least be taller than Hearst, but possibly close to or exceeding BofA CC.

I was just checking out the charlotte center city website, and under the .pdf for the wachovia complex it said the cost was $800 million. :blink: That much higher than original projections of around $300-400 million. Could this be an indication that the building will be LEED and that the office tower could be taller (per floor) or is it just a typo? At $800 million it starts to resemble the cost of the Bryant Park tower even more.

I was at the meeting and I don't recall the specific number being thrown out, but it wouldn't surprise me. The arts projects are what, around $120M. The condo tower will probably be another $120M since they will be building all upscale units (no 1 bedrooms), plus LEED certified.

That leaves another $560M for the 1.3M sq. ft. tower...... That's roughly $430 per square foot.....that's pretty steep. Assuming that the Wachovia space is fitted to a higher standard, it would still be pushing rents to about $30 per square foot. That may be achievable if the building is beyond anything else in the city, or Wachovia may be willing to eat a small loss for having an overall suprior building.

I was at the meeting and I don't recall the specific number being thrown out, but it wouldn't surprise me. The arts projects are what, around $120M. The condo tower will probably be another $120M since they will be building all upscale units (no 1 bedrooms), plus LEED certified.

That leaves another $560M for the 1.3M sq. ft. tower...... That's roughly $430 per square foot.....that's pretty steep. Assuming that the Wachovia space is fitted to a higher standard, it would still be pushing rents to about $30 per square foot. That may be achievable if the building is beyond anything else in the city, or Wachovia may be willing to eat a small loss for having an overall suprior building.

wow, yeah that is a pretty steep breakdown.

• 3 months later...

Now that the funding for the Arts Plan has approval from the state, I thought I'd bump up this thread. We've mostly talked about it in the Wach thread lately, but some of the new members might want to browse back through this thread for more history of the discussion.

• 1 month later...

This is from David Wagner regarding the new Bechtler Museum that he is designing with Botta.

This Bechtler building at First and Tryon will be the only building in America, according to Wagner, with an entirely terra cotta exterior. "Smooth, like a clay pot on your back porch," he said. The lines of the building, which will house contemporary art, are clean and sharp, like a cube.

Sounds....ummm...interesting and expensive.

Archived