Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is cool. It is always good for Charlotte to get some superlatives. The only or the best or the largest or the first. We don't have too many of those. Maybe a couple second-largests, but not much else.

It sounds much better than stucco. Or even concrete.

I hope they make the foundation and structure strong enough to avoid cracks. I always think the Gugenheim looks so aged with all of its cracks.

Terra Cotta is not that bizzare. It was used extensively as a building material at the turn of the 20th century, though unfortunately a lot of these places have been torn down. If you go to Europe there are a number of famous old buildings there that are terra cotta. It was superseded by marble and then later granite as these were considered more luxurious materials. There is a terra cotta building in downtown Statesville (Holland Building) but it does have some brick on the 2nd floor. The reason that you don't see it used 100% on buildings is that the back sides of buildings are usually brick or these days, EFIS.

The best example of a terra cotta building in downtown Charlotte is the Century Building on W. Trade. (Cinco, I borrowed your photo from the restoration thread if you don't mind, now you know the name of the building. )

restore030.jpg

Here is a photo of another terra cotta building that doesn't exist anymore. Next to the Belk in this photo is the former Woolworth's building. Its the one with the red marque. That was another art deco terra cotta building.

oldCLT0003.jpg

That's what I was wondering D. As far as terra cotta goes, I have often wondered why clay tiles aren't more popular than they are anymore. It's a great look, Even though I too am imagining the new Betchler as smooth, I would like to see glazed tiles make a comeback in other projects. It seems like with all of the clay in the area this wouldn't be too expensive of an option for developers.

I was imagining an entirely smooth Terra Cotta surface, rather than tiles. Now I even wonder if they could make it out of solid Terra Cotta, as it would need to be kiln dried, right?

I was thinking the same thing. Just one giant smooth red cube. Then I chuckled because I remembered an old Saturday Night Live commercial for The Adobe, the car made out of clay. "Hey, Hey! We're Adobe! The little car that's made out of clay!"

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86dadobe.phtml

Seriously though, glossy square tiles that covered a sleek white cube would be killer.

I'm still disappointed if it turns out to be tiles. I mean, tiles go behind urinals and for subway stations that are treated like urinals. I'm not sure I like the idea of it as a siding for our sleek museum.

But I suppose they'll come up with a good execution that will open my mind. But for now, I'm having trouble envisioning it.

As far as terra cotta goes, I have often wondered why clay tiles aren't more popular than they are anymore.

My guess is that was a combination of what I said earlier about marble and granite being considered higher class materials, and the mid-century modern and post-modern movements where terra cotta would have been considered old fashioned. It's funny how these things go in cycles.

Tile isn't a particulary durable material for use on the outside, but then again, neither is EFIS.

it has the potential to really be outstanding. Tiles can add a texture that is more apparent as you near the structure and different in appearance from a distance. I am not familiar with the architects prior work but can think of numerous european bldgs that are very memorable made from tiles, mosaics and hold up over time very well.

I'm going to be the optimist on this one. make us impressed!

• 2 weeks later...

It's here, it's here!!!! :D

This Monday's presentation on the arts package has detailed interior and exterior renderings of all the cultural buildings.

HERE!!!

Renderings start on page 18.

I'm really digging the AACC and the new Mint (which reminds me of the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam).

Looking at the floorplans, everything looks great except I'm a bit nervous about the Church St. facade of the Theatre.....that combined with the loading area for 400 S. Tryon make a pretty dead block.

As much as I had hoped Novare would preserve the Church St. Facade of the Power Building, I'm thinking they may need to demolish it in order to add some much needed streetscape to what will otherwise become a dead block.

Other than that, this area will be swarming with more people that any other section of Uptown in 3 short years with:

Uptown's largest office building (by sq. ft.)

Uptown's 2nd largest retail concentration (after EpiCentre)

Uptown's 4th largest condo tower (by # of units)

The city's largest museum (yes...the Mint will be slightly larger than DP)

The South's largest AACC.

The city's 3rd largest theatre.

And beyond the superlatives, a really nice new modern art museum and WFU MBA campus.

amazing. i expected great things... but this far exceeds what those expectations were. all the buildings are unique and push the envelope. i especially love botta's work on the bechtler museum... it seems to come up from the red clay earth, that is found locally in the piedmont. also, i love all the natural light.

the bar has been raised on s. tryon.

Love the AACC...the best of the group, if you ask me.

I am actually underwhelmed with the Mint and the Theatre. The Mint is merely a big box with a few wrinkles on the side. I would have loved to see something more daring or explorative. Much like the library in Seattle, I'd love to have seen it become a building that is itself a work of art.

The theatre looks really bland from the outside. I'm hoping they have signage plans that aren't in this rendering, because it looks so nondescript I'm not sure people would be able to figure out what it actually is.

Notice how none of the renderings show the Wachovia building? Maybe it'll be invisible.

I like the interior of the Mint especially, but I'm digging the exterior too....I'm especially interestet in seeing what is done with the roof-top garden.

The theatre is the weakest, link, but I was expecting that. It's not necessarily bad though, just the least impressive. Still, I think from Tryon St., it will look pretty good sitting back behind the plaza.

Archived