Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this vantage point the museum reminds me of the modernist Rivoli Theatre built in Myrtle Beach in the late 1950s. (probably one of the last of the single screen venues) I liked that building and this one as well. It doesn't look like a Charlotte building at least in this rendering. Ironically the Rivoli, a movie theatre, included some abstract art built into the exterior of the building. This building is missing it. Still it's a nice change for Charlotte.

collage_lb_image_page108_0_1.png

I enjoy the two sides depicted in the first rendering. The northern facade doesn't matter much because it faces the alley, but the Church St. facade of the theatre is the biggest let down of the entire Wachovia/Arts project. Hopefully they will have some theatre posters or something to soften the lifeless/opaque facade.

The block is partially redeemed in that the 440 S. Church office building under construction across the street will have retail.

I haven't been by in person but the model depicts that side as boring but not that bad. It just looks like a small brick building of a very pedestrian scale, plus a garage door. It has windows and an entrance on the corner. Did this somehow turn into something lifeless and opaque in real life?

The Church St side of Knight Theatre wouldn't matter as much (it is very slim) if the facade on the base of the 400 S Tryon deck on the rest of that block were better. That wavy split block is just awful, despite the seemlingly good intention.

327440323_7e72ffc332.jpg

^ That's not bad? :huh:

In 400 St. Tryon's defense, it at least has ground floor retail on Church. This has a metal gated garage door, a lifeless brick face (with some possibly faux-windows), and entrance that is not for public use (I believe this is for actors/crew only). In fact, this reminds me exactly of the back-of-house of Blumenthal along College that everyone decries, except that at least had an adjacent public entrance.

From an architectural perspective it is boring, as I mentioned above. In my view, though, no, it isn't bad for the urban fabric. It is a pedestrian scale building abutting the sidewalk with ample room for pedestrians and a facade with transparent windows at regular intervals, higher quality human scale materials (brick) and an entrance to building in which civic activity takes place. We can't have retail on every square inch of sidewalk, and as pointed out with the parking deck, even having retail doesn't mean the facade won't be opaque and lifeless. Likewise, just because it lacks retail doesn't mean it is lifeless and opaque. In fact, by definition, windows are not opaque, and the fact that it has an entrance for an active civic use means it is not lifeless.

I should point out the very key differences it has which should separate it from the Blumenthal back of house along 5th. The Blumenthal does not have windows, but rather display cases for posters. It also cramps into the pedestrian space by placing those pillars in the middle, creating a very narrow corridor to walk in. It is also for an entire block length, rather that 1/3 of the block like this is. And lastly, the Blumenthal's 5th Street facade has no entrance, whereas this this has an entrance that is given proper treatment with a set back and an awning rather than just a door on large facade.

• 1 month later...

12-8-08

AACC

106843199.jpg

Bechtler, Knight, and Mint on Tryon

106843208.jpg

The return of 1st Street :) (both directions)

106843209.jpg

106843223.jpg

Ceiling of the Bech. now has Terra Cotta

106843212.jpg

Mint from Church St. It looks like they are going past 6 floors, its hard to see, but there is rebar for supports on what would be floor 7??

106843216.jpg

And in case anyone would like to continue the debate....

106843221.jpg

• 1 month later...

Discovery Place is beginning its 32 million dollar renovation finally. Contrary to the original plans to close the doors for 9 months then reopen after renovations, it seems they are going to keep it open and do sections at a time over 18 months instead. The cafe that is located at street level on Tryon will be the first thing to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

North Carolina Dance Theatre will begin site work next week on their new HQ/studio space. It will be on N. Tryon in Uptown on the vacant lot next to the McColl Center for Arts (the old church/artist space). Per the Observer, site work will begin next week.

Rendering:

3389914506_1e1e093df6_o.jpg

No mention of who the architect is.

Not bad....I would have preferred something more substantial/dense on N. Tryon, but the design is ok. Reminiscent of Imaginon.

The Observer mentions there will be a costume shop included. Hopefully it will have an exterior entrance. That part would be exciting. Though I like Morris, I'd definitely support an urban store.

There is no chance of this not happening, as financing has been completely secured.

EDIT: Fixed rendering.

Awesome I didn't even know this was on the table. A bit more info from the offical press release on the Dance Theater's webpage:

35,000 square feet.

Architect is Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates.

Studios overlook Tryon so pedestrians can see.

Future expansion room behind building left for a "black box theater" for experimental dance.

Recently made possible by a big grant ($1.5 million from Knight Foundation).

Bigger Pic:

North20Carolina20Dance20Theatre20ne.jpg

Archived