Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

The Observer mentions there will be a costume shop included. Hopefully it will have an exterior entrance. That part would be exciting. Though I like Morris, I'd definitely support an urban store.

I can't imagine how the costume shop would be financially justifiable if it didn't have an exterior entrance, just wouldn't make sense. This has to be a storefront.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha....it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a small retail store to sell their used costumes though as a fund raising device.....obviously, the range of dance costumes won't appeal to the majority of the Trick-or-Treat crows, but Morris does have a dance ensamble section, so it has to be marginally profitable.

Good to hear about the black-box addition, though I hope it wouldn't extend all the way to Church as they are exactly inviting to pedestrians the exterior....leave that space for some mid-rise residential.

Tangent:

Can anyone explain to me why the Charlotte Museum of History is off of Shamrock Dr? I understand the importance of the site and its history, but to have the history museum for the entire city there seems to be a bit off the beaten path for tourists headed to uptown or to the speedway/cmills area. I wish there was a Museum of History in uptown somewhere, something that tourists could go to and learn more about the history that this city actually does have that many people aren't aware of. I feel that the Alexander Homesite should be preserved and used as it currently is, but for the actual history of Charlotte exhibits and related artifacts to be moved to a location uptown.

This site is a nice place for kids to go on a field trip but what good is this serving the general public if we aren't placing this in a more accessible area?

The Levine Museum of the New South does a pretty decent job for Charlotte history, at least from what I can remember (I haven't been in a while). If you haven't checked it out yet I certainly suggest doing so.

I'll have to check that out, I've only been in there once and it was for a summit in the auditorium they have there. I always mistook it for a museum of the south in general. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have to check that out, I've only been in there once and it was for a summit in the auditorium they have there. I always mistook it for a museum of the south in general. Thanks for the heads up.

The museum does have a broader Piedmont historical theme, but it focuses on Charlotte in particular.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics Toz, this complex is really looking great!

Driving by the other day I noticed the sign for the Bech says opening winter 2010. Is it really going to take another 1 1/2 years to complete this thing? The exterior is obviously almost done, but even some of the interior looks complete from what you can see from the outside, lobby, etc.

You know, it's just beginning to strike me how big the Mint is. I looked up the square footage, and it is supposed to be clocking in at 145,000. The Bechtler is, by comparison, 35,000. Now that the plaza is beginning to take shape, you can really start getting a feeling for just how much this new arts campus is going to change Uptown. *excited*

(for those of you who might have missed them, there are many new photos from this past weekend on page 22)

• 4 weeks later...

The Bechtler is set to debut January 2. http://www.bechtler.org/

jeez you beat me to it.

my studio has been doing all the branding for the Bechtler, unfortunately i can't divulge any info that's not on the site already. it took everything i had not to tell you guys about the collection. i mean warhol, tinguely, picasso, ernst, giacometti, bass!

i will tell you, however, that this is only the temporary site. expect a much more engaging site to launch ahead of the opening.

it took everything i had not to tell you guys about the collection. i mean warhol, tinguely, picasso, ernst, giacometti, bass!

Seriously, though, when I saw what this collection encompasses I was thoroughly impressed. You didn't even mention Corbusier!

Seriously, though, when I saw what this collection encompasses I was thoroughly impressed. You didn't even mention Corbusier!

yes although the Mint is going to be sooo much bigger, i wonder if it will have the prestige that the Bechtler will. i know it will have a higher rotation of exhibits and more to see, but i expect the Bechtler to be a bigger regional draw. but i am biased. :)

Archived