Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash your work is always a treat and these pictures don't disappoint. The silhouette of the buildings against the eastern sky is great, especially with the moon visible. You also caught some great shots of the Piedmont train in Raleigh!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, great pictures as always. And, that's a nice catch on the Piedmont backing into the station. I bet you had to wake up pretty early for that one!

It's interesting to note that the Piedmont is missing its lounge car in that shot - normally there is the engine, followed by the lounge, and then the two coaches. According to rumors, when they have a heavy passenger load they run it with three coaches, but I've never seen it happen. Anyway, I wonder where the lounge is? I'll have to get up tomorrow morning and take a peek as the Piedmont goes by. (I live about a half mile away from the Blue Ridge Rd. and NCRR grade crossing.) Class at 8:00 so that should be no big deal. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Five Points is a historic and very intimate miniature business district within the vestigal Hayes Barton suburb of Raleigh. It was once served by a streetcar, and it is situated roughly 3 miles northwest of downtown Raleigh.

The city of Raleigh enveloped this area long ago. Decades ago it was THE place to live in Raleigh, but it sort of fell into decline for a while. Over the past several years it has seen a renewed interest. Property values are very high and many of the houses have been restored or are under contract. The little CBD also appears to be thriving. The last time I visited this area on a regular basis was back in 1996--I was a regular at the coffee shop and the Hayes Barton grille during that summer.

The area is called Five Points because it is at the convergence of Glenwood Ave, Fairview Rd, Whitaker Mill Rd, and Glenn Ave. I suppose it is technically "Six Points" now :lol: but I assume at one point in history there were only five points.

A map of the area

Map.jpg

Typical neighborhood street in the Hayes Barton area

street1.jpg

Heading south on Glenwood via car several blocks from Five Points

street2.jpg

Assorted pictures on the Glenwood Ave side of the block

fivepoints20.jpg

fivepoints7.jpg

fivepoints3.jpg

fivepoints8.jpg

fivepoints4.jpg

fivepoints6.jpg

fivepoints18.jpg

fivepoints2.jpg

fivepoints5.jpg

Be sure to see Part 2

Be sure to see Part 1

Pictures from the Fairview side

fivepoints17.jpg

fivepoints16.jpg

fivepoints14.jpg

fivepoints13.jpg

fivepoints11.jpg

fivepoints19.jpg

fivepoints12.jpg

fivepoints1.jpg

This was once a Piggly Wiggly grocery store :D

fivepoints10.jpg

Small shopping center built on the Whitaker Mill Rd side

shopping1.jpg

Eckerd.jpg

Wonderful architecture! :P

fivepoints9.jpg

Unusual gas station on the south Glenwood side. I guess it used to be a Phillips 66

gasstation.jpg

Very old Trolley stop on Glenwood at the Harvey St intersection, about a block or so south of Five Points

trolley1.jpg

Odds and ends seen while walking around :thumbsup:

sidewalk5.jpg

sidewalk3.jpg

sidewalk2.jpg

sidewalk1.jpg

Days before the internet...

sidewalk4.jpg

Still life

Stilllife.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed!

But why call it "Five Points"? It seems like there are six roads radiating out from that intersection, so maybe it should be called Six Points instead. Ha ha.

Or maybe one of the roads doesn't count for some reason? A one-way pair perhaps?

But why call it "Five Points"? It seems like there are six roads radiating out from that intersection, so maybe it should be called Six Points instead. Ha ha.

Or maybe one of the roads doesn't count for some reason? A one-way pair perhaps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha, in fact some could argue that it's "Seven Points". I've been trying to figure out how the name "Five Points" was adopted. If there were only five roads originally, I wonder which ones they were. I'm thinking that Glenn Ave was either a late bloomer, or it was too minor of a route "back in the day".

On a spur of the moment idea, I decided to stay in a room at the Clarion Hotel to take some pictures of the skyline. I asked for the highest floor room with a view. When I got to my room It was facing west and had no view of the skyline. I had to go to the top floor restaurant to get any night time shots, which was closing when I was there, so I was rushed.

In the morning, I was abruptly awakened at 9:00 AM by some extremely loud drilling on either side of my room walls. When I called the front desk they said "sorry for the inconvenience" and that they were fixing the elevators. Pretty amazing. I later ate breakfast on the top floor, and the food nor the service was very good. Currently, the best part of the Clarion is its view only (if you can get a room on that side).

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.14.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.15.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.16.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.17.jpg

At least I had a view of the Quorum Center construction site.

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.18.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.19.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.20.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.21.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.22.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.23.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.24.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.25.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.26.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.27.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.28.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.29.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.30.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.31.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.32.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.33.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.34.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.35.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.36.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.37.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.38.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.39.jpg

Interesting counterweight on this crane, just some blocks of concrete.

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.40.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.41.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.42.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.43.jpg

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.45.jpg

That picture really shows off the Wachovia Center very nicely. Sometimes I feel that it gets ignored in some pictures of downtown (the WRAL graphic comes to mind) in favor of the BB&T Tower. I personally think Wachovia Center is the nicer building, it just happens to be a few blocks out of place I guess.

Archived