Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

Flash, your pictures are absolutely stunning :thumbsup: Sorry to hear the restaurant wasn't that great...

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.39.jpg

^Your picture of the Six Forks Rd corridor reminded me of how this is evolving into yet another small suburban mini-skyline--in addition to the BTi Building and Capital Towers, the two proposed buildings for the North Hills project should fill in nicely :)

It seems that eventually the Beltline will host a number of short "mini-skylines". In addition to this Six Forks Rd area, there is already the Highwoods "skyline" at Capital Blvd, potential expansion near the WakeMed area at New Bern Ave, and probably a few enhancements in the Crabtree Valley area at Glenwood Ave (Westin, etc.)

As long as they stay low profile and relatively dense, I'm cool with it. Save all the tall stuff for downtown! :)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.12.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing pictures, as always.

The Depot (pictured here) is definitely one of the coolest buildings in the Warehouse District. I just wish somebody would DO SOMETHING with it. I seem to recall that Nana's Chophouse was going to open up shop here, but hit some sort of a snag and went elsewhere. Maybe the asking price is too high?

Raleigh's looking good!

Except that one concrete slab building. That looks like ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume this is the Archdale? I think it's a beautiful building. A white monolith rising from downtown - the inside does leave alot to be desired though...

I seem to recall that Nana's Chophouse was going to open up shop here, but hit some sort of a snag and went elsewhere. Maybe the asking price is too high?

Nana's Chophouse is down on Davie St across from the bar, "White Collar Crime" just west of Dawson St. It's a very nice place... nice atmosphere and good food.

I love the Wachovia shot and its awesome to see the progress on the Quorum. Also that shot over the Bell Tower with the red moon is awesome!

Why do I get the feeling that when you were taking pictures of the crane, you were thinking "If I could only get up there, I'd have an AWESOME angle."

BTW the rear view mirror shot

raleigh.skyline.apr.05.13.jpg

DTRalSouthSaunders.jpg

stop stealing my angles thats my gimmick!!!! :P j/k

Standard Disclaimer *** Before anyone points out that my picture was taken from the driver's side of the car, I was stopped at a red light. ***

I had an oppurtunity to take some pictures of downtown Raleigh today and these show the Fayetteville Street Renovation Project due to be completed next fall, and the New Convention Center construction Site to be completed in 2008.

First this is the site of the convention center, it will take up two full blocks and be partially buried, it also will connect via and underground tunnel to the a 400 room Marriott hotel which will sit on the site of the current convention center.

convsite.jpg

The current atrocity which is the convention center. To be imploded in august of this year.

convcent.jpg

Just thought I'd throw this picture in, it's of the BTI Performing arts center. Perhaps the best building in the city. A great move by Raleigh.

BTICenter.jpg

Fayetteville St. Mall which is being reworked to allow vehicle and pedestian traffic. After it was closed to cars in the 70's. The street will be renovated in series of steps.

This is a picture of WTVD 11 news station headquarters on Fayetteville Street which is under construction at the former Belk's Dept. Store building. The camera room faces the street (Rockefeller Plaza/Times Square, like good morning america.) They are installing Plasma TV's and what not so they those on the street can look through the glass and see the actual news-cast's real time. Notice the LED banner which scrolls information and photos. Let it burn.

Channel11burn.jpg

Just some more of that building. There is a residential component also with condiminiums. And there will be street level retail and dining.

Channel11.jpg

And finally a shot of our fortune 500 company headquarters. "Progress Energy". Completed late last year.

Progress.jpg

Let me know what you think of The Big Changes happening in downtown Raleigh.

"Don't be afraid to dream; And while you're at it, dream big."

It truly was ridiculous that downtown Raleigh lay dormant for so long while the suburbs exploded outwards across the greenfields at the rate of 15,000 people a year. Once the suburban explosion started, it had a feedback effect on downtown as many of these new suburbanites could care less if downtown burned to the ground. As the city's population tipped further towards the outside of the beltline, the very heart and soul shifted with it. It's a complete mystery to me how we've ended up with such a pro-downtown city council and mayor. Could it be that all the transplants out in North Raleigh just don't care enough about the city to participate in local politics?

At any rate, I like the direction that the current leadership is pulling us in. It's nice to see that things are starting to happen downtown so that the area can share in at least some of the city's growth.

Their newcasts will take place live @ this building, as well as all of their other operations. They were already downtown, but up in one of the other buildings. This is their own spot now, from scratch. I don't know much about WBTV's studios.

All I know is that if you wanna walk by on the sidewalk and wave to the newcasters and meteoroligists. You just might be able too.

Their newcasts will take place live @ this building, as well as all of their other operations.  They were already downtown, but up in one of the other buildings.  This is their own spot now, from scratch.  I don't know much about WBTV's studios.

All I know is that if you wanna walk by on the sidewalk and wave to the newcasters and meteoroligists. You just might be able too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some images of WBTV's CC Studios: http://www.wbtv.com/about_us/studios/ccs/ccs01.html

• 1 month later...

Really great pictures!

Just a side comment....not pertaining at all to Flash's excellent skill or pictures...but is any1 else tired of basically seeing the same unchanged skyline since 1991? I mean I know yes things have happend....a 20 story tower was built that is effectively hidden from view from many angles....some condos were built, the street mall is being ripped up, a new convention center is being built....but aside from that the famous view from South Saunders has remained unchanged for over a decade. *Sigh* I hope the Reynolds tower comes through, even as 32 floors instead of 37, as long as it's not whittled down to 15-20 floors. Raleigh has an overabundance of buildings that height already...we need to start bulking up on 25+ now :-p

Spectacular photos as always, Flash.

I love the way that you use telephoto to get tight framing and reduce the depth of the picture. This is particularly evident with the photo of the boxcars in front of the BB&T building. The natural lighting on that shot is gorgeous as well.

Archived