Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some random photos since theres kinda no news coming out here lately. They are nothing like Flash's quality but hey its something.

Heading down morgan street. You can see the new Dawson condos.

DSC00203.jpg

Quorum Center

DSC00204.jpg

Quorum Center

DSC00205.jpg

Paramount

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

510 Glenwood

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

Heading down Boylan to peace street with The Paramount in the background.

DSC00216.jpg

At cameron village looking at raleigh and the crane for the quorum center

DSC00217.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.

Every time I see that part of Boylan Ave, I think of my arch-nemesis, that damned offset intersection at Boylan and Hillsborough.

Some offset intersections aren't that bad, but the geometry and signal timing here is just right to make it a real hazard and a severe pain in the ass. With the work going on to bury the power lines there, I'm caught wondering whether they might actually do something about it, but then I come to my senses.

yes that intersection is horrible, to go straight you have to turn left and then right just to get back on boylan. Does anybody know if the paramount is going to have any retail?? I dont remember hearing anything about retail there which kind of sucks. Oh well i guess more business for starbucks and mellow mushroom.

Does anybody know if the paramount is going to have any retail??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paramount is making a selling point out of how they're a 100% residential development. Keeps the riffraff out, or something. I say that's not a problem if some of the residential mid-rises along Boylan or West go like that, but if it becomes a majority then it'll have a pretty detrimental effect on the streetscape. Glenwood Ave needs to have street-level retail from top to bottom - No ifs, ands, or buts. So far, all the all the developers have delivered.

Woops, on further inspection I guess you're right.

They have 785 square feet dedicated to the purpose of "retail/pedestrian entry". I guess this retail space is supposed to be the pedestrian entry to their parking deck. I wonder what would go in there. News stand or something?

Now who exactly would want a 785 square foot office sitting off all by itself like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone like a builder who spends most of his time away from an office but still needs a formal space for meetings or presentations or for a secretary. Maybe a programmer who works by himself.

Just some shots of Raleigh I took a few weeks ago.

333.jpg

Construction on the new convention center continues!

ccsite1.jpg

ccsite2.jpg

Dense Angle

density.jpg

Fayetteville Street

fsmvista.jpg

fsmvista2.jpg

The John Yancey (I'd always called it the carriage house, my great grandomther used to live there)

jyancey.jpg

The Pope house on Wilmington

pope.jpg

I like this cluster

progress.jpg

The quorum rises above the trees

quorum.jpgquorum2.jpg

salisbury.jpg

I had dreams of a beautiful pano from here, but I couldn't get the pictures aligned :-(

sheraton.jpg

Won't see this shot again after 2 years.

skyline.jpg

Looking back at South Saunders

ssaunders.jpg

Wachovia keeps growing on me

wachovia.jpg

It's really weird to grow up and see the change in perception of an area like this.

I lived in 5 points as a sophmore at NC State in 1988. 106 E Whitaker Mill Road. Rented a room in the basement of that old house. Ugh, that place was FULL of roaches!! But even then I liked the character of the area and the mix of old 1930's - 40's homes with full front porches and large trees.

At that time, it was a somewhat neglected / overlooked area full of rentals. Kinda sleepy, but not dilapidated either.

I think it really colored my perception of urban living. I could walk to the old Winn Dixie and the post office, even bicycle to NC state if I felt motivated enough.

Now it's getting "hip" and gentrified. I'm sure my old sluml... uh, landlord :D made a nice profit when he sold.

It also taught me how convenient it is to live in town and do the REVERSE commute of all the people streaming out of town in the evening. :thumbsup: A trick I have repeated twice in other cities.

It's really weird to grow up and see the change in perception of an area like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife grew up just a couple of blocks north of that area, and when she was young Five Points was NOT a nice place to be. It was still essentially a recovering mill village, with much poverty. She is always amazed/amused by the transformation to trendy It place with half-million dollar homes, although certainly the architecture and character of the neighborhood have understandable appeal.

I came to Raleigh in the late 80's, too (also as an NCSU student!), and the area was just starting to turn around-- the seediness was still there to some extent, but businesses were starting to change hands and many older residents were moving or passing away, and were being replaced by young hipsters. I remember the Winn Dixie and the Piggly Wiggly very well.

My wife grew up just a couple of blocks north of that area, and when she was young Five Points was NOT a nice place to be.  It was still essentially a recovering mill village, with much poverty.  She is always amazed/amused by the transformation to trendy It place with half-million dollar homes, although certainly the architecture and character of the neighborhood have understandable appeal.

I came to Raleigh in the late 80's, too (also as an NCSU student!), and the area was just starting to turn around-- the seediness was still there to some extent, but businesses were starting to change hands and many older residents were moving or passing away, and were being replaced by young hipsters.  I remember the Winn Dixie and the Piggly Wiggly very well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where exactly was the Winn-Dixie? I know a fair amount about 5-points but never knew about this.

I moved to Raleigh at age 9 in 1971. In 1975, we moved between Ridge Road and Glenwood a little ways down from 5 points. There were some nasty bars in 5 points that were hard core red neck (we still went) since Hillsbough Street was the place the go. In High School, all but the Hayes Barton Section of 5 points was considered "blue-collor". I later moved back to 5 loints in 1990 after grad school. It was up and coming then but no where near the prices now. I still have friends who live there and there houses/bungalows are in the $400Kplus. I have good friend who are a older couple who bought a house in the 1960s and they paid $11K for thier house. Another interesting thing about living there was one day we had a cook-out in the front yard (only in 5 points) and this woman was driving an older gentlemen around looking at the houses. He was in his 80s. He stop and asked questions. He had lived on the street after WWII in one of our friiends house (or maybe before WWII) and he gave us some history and what it was like. One thing to notice about 5 points (especially the parts behind the Rialto), the lots are in quarters and most houses are built on 2 quarters. But the bigger houses are built on 3 quarters. My friend says that is how they sold the lots back then. Any way, I should have never moved but left in 1998 but still show up to my friends. I made life long friends there and since I moved to my new neighborhood in 1998, Ihave talked to my next door neighbor 3 times. Our discussion included a "Hello" and a small wave !!! And I live in a negihborhood that was built in the 60s !!!

If you were in Raleigh last night, you probably noticed the incessant flashes of lightning that illuminated the sky from about 8pm until well past midnight. I got a few shots, but nothing that I was satisfied with. Unfortunately I was focused on filming the storms for TWC and not on still photography. To make matters worse I forgot my 1 gig CF card and had to use 2 randomn 32 meg cards that only hold about 6 images each. :blink: Turns out TWC was focused with the hurricane hitting Mexico to use my video, so I should have just put all efforts to stills anyway! Enough rambling:

lightning719.03.jpg

lightning719.07.jpg

lightning719.01.jpg

lightning719.02.jpg

lightning719.04.jpg

lightning719.05.jpg

lightning719.06.jpg

lightning719.08.jpg

lightning719.09.jpg

lightning719.10.jpg

lightning719.11.jpg

lightning719.12.jpg

Hey kids, I noticed a cool spot that gets all the mid and high rises in Raleigh into one compact photograph (Flash, ahem). Progress 2, Clarion, Quorum, Wachovia, BB&T, all are visible. Stand on the corner (or sit at the traffic light like I was, heading east) of Peace and Saint Marys. The highest vantage would be actually standing on the Broughton corner, and although the new Exxon station messes up the view I still thought it interesting to see all of our buildings in one view, since for instance, Progress 2 is often obscured.

Archived