Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

Iv'e always been a fan of skylines that are spread out as opposed to dense.

I'm a big fan of the Atlanta, and Houston multiple sky line look as well.

My favorite skylines though are Chicago, and New York because they are both very dense, and spread out for miles it seems! Best of both worlds, Boston, San Fran, Seattle and Vancouver, BC have that feel as well, but of course on a smaller scale.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the 19 floor progress building would have looked better had it been build somewhere on the mall, between the bookends.

I honestly do not know. If we wanted to strengthen the skyline, then placing it somewhere along Fayetteville Street Mall would have made more sense. The parking lot directly to the North of The Hudson (seen in the second photo) would have been ideal, although I feel that NOTHING less than 20 stories should go there. On the other hand, Progress Energy's 19-story tower forms a transitional point from the core to City Market area... a place that can't possibly host high-rises for another 50 years. Not the way the city leaders plan it, anyway. As is, the new tower strengthens the density around that intersection, forming a nice cluster of high-rises (Two Progress Plaza, One Progress Plaza and 333 Corporate Center). This is evident in the following photos:

26400741.jpg

27737693.jpg

Notice how desperately DT Raleigh needs a high-rise next to The Hudson (middle of the photo):

27737708.jpg

29084230.jpg

29084267.jpg

The nicest thing about Two Progress Plaza is that it looks more attractive in real life. Its street-level feel is really nice and I can't wait to see retail & entertainment destinations on the ground floor. Although I feel that it should have been taller than 19 stories, Two Progress Plaza is, nevertheless, important to the future of DT Raleigh. Its present location should help the city attract more businesses at the south end of downtown, which is OK for me. To get the most out of it, we need to see a few high-rises appearing to both north and south of Two Progress Plaza, as well as the east wing of the current convention center. Then, we can talk about another type of linear skyline, although a much denser one. Even that stupid 'dwarf' (the 14-story convention hotel proposal) will help add density, although it will do sh*t to improve the skyline. Once the southern tip of downtown receives attention, I believe that more developers may view this as a catalyst to bringing more towers and businesses to the core. Then, let the domino effect do much of the work. Look at how Uptown Charlotte gets all these nice residential projects... one after the other.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice Pics, I like the Clarion hotel nice and cylindrical!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, the Clarion. At one point (and it was for quite a long time if I remember correctly) that hotel was the tallest building in town. It's really near to the capitol. IMO the architecture's a bit dated, but it's certainly distinctive. They updated it a bit a couple years ago, particularly the base (which is mostly a parking deck, I believe) to look a little nicer, and it made a world of difference - I don't think it's tacky anymore.

Although it's not my favorite building, I'm certainly willing to recognize that other people might like it quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres some photos I took today in raleigh, there not the greatest pics beacuse i was driving while taking them. But anyhow here they are...

Dawson on Morgan

DSC00004.jpg

Quorum Center

DSC00009.jpg

Quorum Center

DSC00010.jpg

The Paramount

DSC00011.jpg

510 Glenwood

DSC00013.jpg

Paramount

DSC00015.jpg

Paramount

DSC00016.jpg

Paramount

DSC00018.jpg

New Convention Center Site

DSC00028.jpg

BBAndt Building

DSC00024.jpg

Raleigh Skyline shot from boylan ave. going over bridge

DSC00019.jpg

I'm glad downtown Raleigh is getting some new stuff. As Raleigh-NC has often said, even though the projects are small, the whole builds momentum. I'd love to see Reynolds build that signature tower soon too. I wish it were going to be more in the core (for a better skyline appearance), but the proposed location isn't too bad really.

Archived