Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That nasty audio store has to be really old. It was there in 1987 and looked crappy then.

The Winn Dixie is where the Eckerd's is now. Weird, trapezoid shaped store with cashiers on two ends.

There was a laundry between the Rialto and the Winn Dixie that caught fire sometime when I was there. 1988-ish.

Does anyone know the story behind that Audio/Video montrosity at Five Points?

I think at one time the Audio Buys store was a dry cleaners. The clothes rode up a conveyor belt to the second floor and around the windowed top so all you saw upstairs was moving racks of clothes. This accounts for the weird architecture. It may or may not have been closed in by glass under the overhang, but I

• 3 weeks later...

Discovered this angle/shot yesterday and thought I'd share. Took this a little over 6 miles away from downtown on the Hodge road overpass of the 64 bypass. It was hot, humid and hazy, but not bad for 6 miles away.

I might Hijack this thread later with some other pics of Raleigh (and even Durham) that I've been sitting on for a couple of weeks.

pano.jpg

Great view! I would really love to get a pic of the view from Six forks Rd....not the parking deck of the hospital there but from the actual road, maybe around Dennys. The buildings look so much taller then they really are there, in my opinion, maybe b/c they r towering over the trees in the distance. I have a feeling the shot wouldn't turn out as pretty as the picture in my head though....

Discovered this angle/shot yesterday and thought I'd share. Took this a little over 6 miles away from downtown on the Hodge road overpass of the 64 bypass. It was hot, humid and hazy, but not bad for 6 miles away.

I might Hijack this thread later with some other pics of Raleigh (and even Durham) that I've been sitting on for a couple of weeks.

pano.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been meaning to get that shot from the new 64 bypass since it opened. Everytime I head in that direction I forget the digital camera. IMO, This view has the potential to be impressive if we can get a little more density in the skyline.

I know what you mean Mike. I still haven't gotten a good shot from South Saunders that captures the same view there with the naked eye. Its not always easy to get the same "feel" with a camera that you get being there.

Ibruton, I think this view has a lot of potential, especialy in 20-30 years. It makes a great approach to Raleigh. (How well can this angle be seen from the actual road?)

Ibruton, I think this view has a lot of potential, especialy in 20-30 years. It makes a great approach to Raleigh. (How well can this angle be seen from the actual road?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you aren't looking for it, the skyline sort of sneaks up on you. I, of course, noticed it immediately during my first drive. I was impressed. You can't quite see as much of the shorter buildings, but you know they exist. LIke I stated earlier, in a few years and with some density, it will be very impressive from that distance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a different image than the typical one we see from the south with BB&T in the foreground. Reveals just how spread out downtown really is. Although I agree that in 20 years, there will be much infill (let's hope). Actually, there will be some infill before then-- the new convention HQ hotel will rise in the far left of the photo within the next year or so, and the Quorum will take up space in the middle-right of the shot. If the Reynolds building goes up, it will be between the Clairon and the Wachovia Center, right?

Cool photo-- thanks for posting it.

So what if it isn't? I think a ring of taller buildings around the 15-20 floor fayetteville area could work really well. It would add some depth. I'm starting to like the spot where the supposed 38-floor Reynolds building will go. It'll triangulate the skyline, and the area can fill in.

We had a rare August crisp, clear day a few days ago.

Special large photo:

ralclr.03.jpg

ralclr.05.jpg

ralclr.02.jpg

ralclr.06.jpg

ralclr.07.jpg

ralclr.08.jpg

ralclr.09.jpg

I thought it was a good idea to capture the skyline from the "new" angle off the 64 bypass, but even at 75 degrees, the heat waves distorted the view.

ralclr.01.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Archived