Raleigh photos

Raleigh-NC

I <3 your pictures.

One place that the Quorum building looks really great is going south down the hill on St. Mary's St at the intersection of Peace St. It really is prominent on the skyline from that perspective, and you can still see all the other buildings. You should check out that location for a few shots, if you ever have the chance.

I love that angle on downtown..you can even see Progress II really well and the Clarion gets a nice look too with all the others in behind it. If the dang gas station wasn't in the way it would be even better...

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thought was that the nighttime telephoto of Quorum Center looked like a large industrial site with all the sodium lighting and the exposed supports, columns, scafolding, chutes and such. A refinery perhaps, or a maybe a steel mill. Naked skyscrapers just tend to look like that, at night.

For a second, I thought "Gosh, wouldn't it be cool if Raleigh had some heavy industry like that? It'd give the town some grit." But then I remembered how bad refineries can smell, and how heavy industry in the US is in a severe state of decline, so this hypothetical Raleigh refinery would probably have closed decades ago, destroying the local economy with it, leaving a hulking heap of steel to rust away and turn into an eyesore in the middle of town.

I guess I take it back!

Flash-

The second shot is a cool angle. Too bad you couldn't get the Clarion and BB&T in the shot on either side of the Quorum :) Are you on top of the Powerhouse square parking deck? I tinker with funky angles too but have lousy camera equipment. One shot I did and liked alot (but with good equipment would look better) was similar to one you posted elsewhere looking south on Salisbury..I believe you were around Morgan/Hargett looking south, I took one from down near the legislative building looking south on Salisbury. The buildings look taller as Salisbury rises up slightly and the furniture delivery trucks are not visible which I think clog up Salisbury too much. I say all this because I want to see what this angle looks like through your eye (lens) if you get a chance. The angles from the east side of downtown are also very impressive. I drive home through the Lenoir/Blount intersection every night and noticed that Progress I and II and Hannover I and II make a handsome four building display from there when all lit up. You are the pro...I'll be quiet now :mellow:

I was on the Morgan Keegan or whatever parking deck there at Glenwood and Tucker, looking across West St.

morgankpd.jpg

creamery.jpg

The best I could do to get BB&T, Quorum, and Clarion was this:

qcrbcc.jpg

Its pretty limited from that vantage.

Jones, somewhere I've taken a few like you've mentioned. The only two I could readily find were these:

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

I have some night ones

I was on the Morgan Keegan or whatever parking deck there at Glenwood and Tucker, looking across West St.

morgankpd.jpg

creamery.jpg

The best I could do to get BB&T, Quorum, and Clarion was this:

qcrbcc.jpg

Its pretty limited from that vantage.

Jones, somewhere I've taken a few like you've mentioned. The only two I could readily find were these:

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

I have some night ones

The first one is almost it, maybe one block farther north...but yours has a better angle on the foliage, mine had Salisbury vanishing in the center of the shot perfectly vertical...I love how Salisbury rises gently here. Downtown looks very tidy I think too here...thanks for sharing.

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome! As usual... :)

I really like this one:

ralcon106.r29.jpg

It looks like a movie set or something.

The huge CC constructiong phot is nice too!

Too bad that "movie set" will be going away soon.

I love the picture of the demoed CC with sparks inside. Who would get in there to do some grinding? What a nut. I love it.

Awesome! As usual... :)

I really like this one:

ralcon106.r29.jpg

It looks like a movie set or something.

The huge CC constructiong phot is nice too!

Movie set or not, it's gonna go as part of Progress' announcement just before Christmas. In all honesty, though, I think this can easily be replicated on the first floor facade of a new building. The thing that makes it authentic in contrast to some of the newer faux streets, is that the second floor of one building is NOT in line with the next. I'd love to see them offset the second floor windows on future buildings to keep this kind of feel.

Movie set or not, it's gonna go as part of Progress' announcement just before Christmas. In all honesty, though, I think this can easily be replicated on the first floor facade of a new building. The thing that makes it authentic in contrast to some of the newer faux streets, is that the second floor of one building is NOT in line with the next. I'd love to see them offset the second floor windows on future buildings to keep this kind of feel.

These would be the buildings I have ranted about to no end :whistling:

They look like a movie set because this style was built when the wild west was peaking and similar buildings were being built out west. (c. 1870's). Three of the four have their original bones and should be kept. Replication scmeplication.

I decided since there was no thread for pics to make one and perhaps others also might have pics to post.

I actually just have one to post but I am not sure if it has been featured here or not. I found this neat pano of Raleigh in 1909 in Wikipedia and thought others might enjoy to view as well. Notice the Pepsi plant on the extreme right.

Raleigh1909.jpg

those pics are great... as for tearing down those historic structures, well, Raleigh is never going to have a bustling historic district like Wilmington (which is one of my favorite places anywhere) so they may as well knock some more down and let raleigh become its own city... i think all this change is really exciting.

Archived