Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

Site version:

EchoHarbour.jpg

Scanned:

EchoHarbourprint.jpg

The design's not bad but Emperor Ross is not getting what he's trying to do. NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO THE WATER TREATMENT PLANT... it's not like it has a big neon sign that reads,

RICHMOND'S WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT

... it's all about the whole view!

"It's a view that, once it's gone, you're not going to be able to get it back," said West, who represents the 7th District on the Richmond School Board.

Leighton Powell, executive director of the nonprofit advocacy group Scenic Virginia, said she considers the revised plan no better than the one filed last year.

"The problem is, it's one of these things where there's a fundamental disagreement about what the view shed is," she said. "They are limiting it to the bend in the river. Those of us who care about the view see it as the whole panorama."

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit to liking them, too. But as Coupe suggests, a little curvature would cut those sharp edges.

Ross did put his foot in his mouth with the comment that the only affected view from Libby would be the water treatment plant. :lol: Bet he won't make that mistake when he starts marketing the condos.

I am especially pleased with the 1000-foot wharf.

One of the sticking points (besides the nimbys) seems to be access to the property by emergency vehicles. Surely that could be worked out.

I'm with you, Shak. Diversity in architecture!

It's not that there's nimby in effect, it's about preserving the panorama intact and not sectioning it off. Besides Ross should also know they can open the river to the public without towers. I doubt he thought about that.

There RTD has backed the Echo Harbour project. There was an editorial in today's newspaper in the Commentary section. They have some very good arguments why the project should move forward. I would post a link but can not find it online.

I really like these renderings. I also like the fact that there is some green on the roof! Pretty cool. I hope this project goes through and breaks ground soon.

I'm very impressed with this new rendering. The whole project looks very nice now. It's amazing how much difference the coloring of a building makes to it's overall appeal.

One thing that worries me about the design is that Richmond's winters can be pretty icy. Those unprotected balconies could become trecherous when the temperature drops below freezing. But since prime entrances to units will be from warm interiors, perhaps it won't be too big of a problem.

I really like these renderings. I also like the fact that there is some green on the roof! Pretty cool. I hope this project goes through and breaks ground soon.

The rendering is not unlike the newish promenade along the Hudson in New York below 14th Street. Smaller, of course, but both have open space between the river and residential/commercial development.

It would be a wonderful extension of the Canal Walk and a connector to Rocketts Landing -- and eventually, to Wmsburg/Jamestown.

1. No one is saying don't ever develop the land.

2. The land will never be used for industrial uses again.

3. The view on Libby Hill is more than the bend in the river.

4. The view itself is one of the best things about living in Richmond.

5. The project can be scaled back and still allo public access to the river. Actually people are accessing the river there quite well... I'm one of them.

6. If the land is developed as an extension of GSLP and the Canal Walk, it can still be a link between downtown and Rocketts... you don't need towers to have that happen.

7. If they want the public to spend $5 to see the view from Libby Hill... that's much better than the thousands it'll cost to get a riverside condo.

Once again I was on the hill taking a gander of the God-given view from on high to Richmonders and their guests. Amazingly no one has yet mentioned how much the wastewater treatment plant just commands our attention. Here, I could sit all day long watching the world and the clouds (if any) go by.

I know I will be there in a few hours, again in awe of this spectacular gift and welcoming the Godspeed. I wonder if it's left Henricus yet?

Once again I was on the hill taking a gander of the God-given view from on high to Richmonders and their guests. Amazingly no one has yet mentioned how much the wastewater treatment plant just commands our attention. Here, I could sit all day long watching the world and the clouds (if any) go by.

I know I will be there in a few hours, again in awe of this spectacular gift and welcoming the Godspeed. I wonder if it's left Henricus yet?

The Godspeed is supposed to dock about noon.

Enjoy your views of the treatment plant while you can before construction begins. Because, afterwards the view will be reserved for tenants of the tower(s). Maybe your views after that will be enhanced with binoculars. :shades:

Views of the lady stripping on her balcony? Come on!

If the towers are built, expect Libby Hill Park to become Voyeur Peak Park.

One of the last places in the city where the horizon is not broken. Why Burt, are you in favor of this? Why rob the public of one of the city's favorite vistas? Heck it's not like we can go to Gambles Hill Park anymore since Ethyl decided it was too good a view for the public. Why do you want to ruin a good thing for the general public to favor a select few and to add money to a greedy developer's bank account?

Views of the lady stripping on her balcony? Come on!

If the towers are built, expect Libby Hill Park to become Voyeur Peak Park.

One of the last places in the city where the horizon is not broken. Why Burt, are you in favor of this? Why rob the public of one of the city's favorite vistas? Heck it's not like we can go to Gambles Hill Park anymore since Ethyl decided it was too good a view for the public. Why do you want to ruin a good thing for the general public to favor a select few and to add money to a greedy developer's bank account?

Because I'd rather see that barren field by the river become a lively site, and if it denies a perch to some greedy (since you love to use that word) viewers who think they own the open skies, so be it.

You'll never win me to your opinion and I'm sure the reverse is true.

You're right... but it's a sad sad day when the sky is no longer free of charge to view.

The land can be used in a lively state without interrupting the horizon. Just because it was proposed doesn't mean it is the right project. I feel as though anything could have been proposed for the site and you'd accept it as long as it's lively. I still say we could use an aquarium there better than condos. But since no one formally proposed that first, it's not a good idea? It wouldn't generate revenue or pedestrian traffic? It wouldn't link east and west? I doubt the people who live facing the proposed site would want that wall there.

But what am I worried about? I took pictures for tons of proposed developments' before pics and they died....

• 1 month later...

You're right... but it's a sad sad day when the sky is no longer free of charge to view.

The land can be used in a lively state without interrupting the horizon. Just because it was proposed doesn't mean it is the right project. I feel as though anything could have been proposed for the site and you'd accept it as long as it's lively. I still say we could use an aquarium there better than condos. But since no one formally proposed that first, it's not a good idea? It wouldn't generate revenue or pedestrian traffic? It wouldn't link east and west? I doubt the people who live facing the proposed site would want that wall there.

But what am I worried about? I took pictures for tons of proposed developments' before pics and they died....

Any word on this project or has it migrated into its death throes?

Any word on this project or has it migrated into its death throes?

I haven't heard that it's dead yet...not saying that it will die 'cause I hope it gets built, but I'm assuming that no news is good news at this point. I'm sure we'll hear more as this very controversial building gets closer to becoming a reality.

I've heard certain people aren't exactly warm to this project, and that could mean it' eventually becomes a no-go but we'll see.

Indeed, we know some people who are not warm to it, but maybe their power is not enough to send this admirable project into Limbo.

The one I'm thinking of is a "little" more powerful than NIMBYs in Church Hill....

If you're referring to Wilder, seems it would tie in quite well with his enthusiasm for the waterfront as an extension of Rocketts and a connector to Tobacco Row. He has spoken more than once about new buildings and marinas along the docks.

Echo Harbour would add considerably to the city's tax base, but he is a mercurial man dificult to read.

My preference has always been for a Watergate type property similar in height and design, but as an alternative, a single tower among lower buildings bothers me not at all.

Archived