Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

If it is Wilder, don't forget he's from Church Hill. He may not like the current plan. It doesn't have to die, just stop trying to rape us with a tower at that site.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Echo Harbour is built, I propose building on top of Libby Hill Park because there would be no use to have the park there if they plan to build towers at its foot. Might as well get those people who designed those condos on Oregon Hill to develop the rest of Libby Terrace and 29th St.

If Echo Harbour is built, I propose building on top of Libby Hill Park because there would be no use to have the park there if they plan to build towers at its foot. Might as well get those people who designed those condos on Oregon Hill to develop the rest of Libby Terrace and 29th St.

Just a question... would this project link the warehouse district to Rocketts Landing formally?

It would come close to doing that. Next to it will be the city's new marina, and the marina will be on the western edge of Rockett's.

And west of Echo Harbour is the Great Ship Lock and the proposed Canal Walk East. The Lucky Strike building presently undergoing renovation along Tobacco Row is just up the hill from the Great Ship Lock and the western end of Echo Harbour. So, basically all these developments will connect.

Sounds like we need to amass our own troops. The more people complain about "towers," the taller I want them to be, even if I do love the Libby Hill view.

They are fine at the 150-180' Ht. Cam, just consider it a reason to move to a house in Church Hill ;)

It will be nice to be able to walk all the way from downtown to Rocketts...

1. They can bridge the Canal Walk with Rocketts without the Libby Hill Great Wall.

2. If the horizon is broken, the view is ruined.

3. I seriously propose destroying Libby Hill Park if this is built.

There will be no use for Libby Hill if there is no view. I'm sure some developer would love to build new townhomes up there. These buildings will make the silos look like a one story shack.

General Cameron is on the move with his ragtag army bent on saving Libby Hill from desecration, OR, destroying it in defeat. If successful, his victory banner will fly from atop the silos overlooking the ashes of Echo Harbour while his forces move westward to demolish everything in Short Pump and set up headqurters in a replica of the filling station that gave the area its name.

General Cameron is on the move with his ragtag army bent on saving Libby Hill from desecration, OR, destroying it in defeat. If successful, his victory banner will fly from atop the silos overlooking the ashes of Echo Harbour while his forces move westward to demolish everything in Short Pump and set up headqurters in a replica of the filling station that gave the area its name.

Quiet Geraldo!

They are fine at the 150-180' Ht. Cam, just consider it a reason to move to a house in Church Hill ;)

It will be nice to be able to walk all the way from downtown to Rocketts...

According to my calculations using google earth. the ground at Libby Hill Park is roughly 150 ft above sea level. The base of Echo Harbor buildings would be about 10 ft above sea level. That would put the shorter tower 10 ft higher and the taller one 40 ft higher than the ground at the park. Depending on the exact positioning of the towers, they may or may not destroy the view, but they would certainly be a big part of the view. I have heard the argument that the towers wouldnt destroy the view of the bend in the river, which most would agree is the most important part of the view.

According to my calculations using google earth. the ground at Libby Hill Park is roughly 150 ft above sea level. The base of Echo Harbor buildings would be about 10 ft above sea level. That would put the shorter tower 10 ft higher and the taller one 40 ft higher than the ground at the park. Depending on the exact positioning of the towers, they may or may not destroy the view, but they would certainly be a big part of the view. I have heard the argument that the towers wouldnt destroy the view of the bend in the river, which most would agree is the most important part of the view.

Visual perspective plays into this. A 180 foot structure might technically be 40 feet taller than the ground level of Libby Hill, but it is also several football fields away.

One thing is certain; if it were as high as the Empire State, it wouldn't block the famous river bend view. Even those atrocious white silos which have to be more than a hundred feet high don't block it...and they are downstream of the Echo Harbour site. Yet, opponents insist that the namesake vista will be lost forever.

I predict there will be a single 150' tower at the western end with adjoining mid-rises to the east providing viewing space between them.

I have said all along that my preference would be for a structure similar to The Watergate complex in Washington which has no more than 9 stories above ground.

It's the waterfront/boardwalk feature that most pleases me, and if a building blocking a small section of the opposite river bank is necessary to make it financially feasible, so be it.

Burt, the view of the bend is not the issue and really wasn't at all. The whole panorama of uninterrupted horizon is from Fulton Hill's Powhatan Hill Park, to Tree Hill in the distance, to sweeping forever of southside, then Manchester and downtown. Building Echo Harbour that high will be like being at an Imax movie and having NBA players standing in front of you the whole movie. You'll only get to see a part of the picture. Imagine being at a play and having a guy with a stovepipe hat seated in front of you and he refuses to remove it. You can't fully enjoy the show with such obnoxiousness. That's how Echo harbour with big towers will ruin the show nature provided with such a lookout over the river and the entire south bank. ... and no one notices the water treatment plant or cares that it's there.

Meet me up there Burt when you're here. I feel you're not seeing the same sights I do when I'm up there.

Archived