Proposed: Echo Harbour

Downtowner

Fair enough.

LOL...I just pictured you (even though I've never met you) as Elwood Blues saying "we're on a mission from God."

I am on a mission from God.

Ice, I don't like you anymore. ;)

Burt, Echo Harbour's the worst thing proposed for this city since public housing projects.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Diamond on the Boulevard. Its e asy interstate access. Now if it was in Shockoe Bottom Traffic would be backed up 5 miles. Theres no one that I have talked to yet that wants the diamond in shockoe bottom. No interstate access. Also the majority of people who go see the Richmond Braves are from the suburbs. Theres not many people in the city that likes baseball or the braves. I guess you could say the city likes there arts and the suburbs likes there sports. Plus if you look at most cities proffesional baseball players are from the suburbs and from the middle of nowhere farmland. Then you have the players who are from California that grew up on the beach and in surrounding LA suburbs or San Diego Suburbs with some from San Francisco same goes for Florida. Basically becuase Baseball can be played in California and Florida where it is so much warmer and its where I want to be right now. I hate the cold, I get sick every winter. Ok thats enough ranting.

I like the Diamond on the Boulevard. Its e asy interstate access. Now if it was in Shockoe Bottom Traffic would be backed up 5 miles. Theres no one that I have talked to yet that wants the diamond in shockoe bottom. No interstate access. Also the majority of people who go see the Richmond Braves are from the suburbs. Theres not many people in the city that likes baseball or the braves. I guess you could say the city likes there arts and the suburbs likes there sports. Plus if you look at most cities proffesional baseball players are from the suburbs and from the middle of nowhere farmland. Then you have the players who are from California that grew up on the beach and in surrounding LA suburbs or San Diego Suburbs with some from San Francisco same goes for Florida. Basically becuase Baseball can be played in California and Florida where it is so much warmer and its where I want to be right now. I hate the cold, I get sick every winter. Ok thats enough ranting.

The yuppies from downtown dont have easy access to the park, they would be more inclined to attend with a direct bus line, or if it was within walking distance. not necessarily in the bottom, maybe in manchester or along the river with a great look-out view.

Here's a very special Christmas Present for Cam:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-25-0107.html

Very interesting. I wrote Mrs. Graziano several days ago when it first emerged that Council wasn't on the same page as the Mayor (and now Ukrops) when it came to riverfront development. Her reply is that she is taking a wait and see approach right now and wants more details as to how the City will pay for the marina before she decides her stand on the issue. I don't see why the public marina can't be built as well as an Echo Harbor development that gives the public access to the river via the Capital Trail and riverfront walkways, plazas, and docks. I'm also not averse to keeping the riverfront relatively green with park space as the priority but I understand how it's tough for a cash-strapped City to pass up the money brought in by developments like this. I hope an intelligent discussion continues and the best solution for the future of Richmond and its taxpayers is achieved.

Yes, when Echo Harbour is sitting half empty, we'll ask why. When Jim Ukrop backs something, chances are, it'll happen. That area is going to be revitalized and is going to make money for the city if Echo Harbour is built or not. I'd rather Echo Harbour be riverfront retail instead of private condos.

Probably will not happen. It's about time the egotistical and arrogant Mr. Ross took his money and developed Broad and Grace streets or even Shockoe Valley and Church Hill which would be far better for the city than privatizing the riverfront with a crumb of public access... don't be fooled.

Probably will not happen. It's about time the egotistical and arrogant Mr. Ross took his money and developed Broad and Grace streets or even Shockoe Valley and Church Hill which would be far better for the city than privatizing the riverfront with a crumb of public access... don't be fooled.

I bet Mr. Ross speaks very highly of you, Cam. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Cam has an ally by the name of Dougie Wilder in his quest to block this project from happening.

I wonder what has happened for this groundswell of opposition i.e. Wilder/Ukrop to form? Was it the Master Plan recommendations or was that opposition there before the draft was even created? I like the idea of having the marina and parkland down there but the City has to consider its monetary needs as well. I think the project could be built in a way to please all parties involved but we need an open honest conversation as opposed to what appears to be an obstructionist City interfering with a developers plans.

Cam has an ally by the name of Dougie Wilder in his quest to block this project from happening.

Yes. I think this is a battle we can safely say has been won by Cam and allies. Yet Brian Glass in his column today ridiculing Wilder's proposal for a marina at Intermediate Terminal explains that a good reason to abandon that project is because one will be included at Echo Harbour. One would think that Glass of Harrison & Bates knows full well EH has heard the death knell.

By the way, the photo in yesterday's paper is a rendering of EH I had never seen.

Speaking of Hizonor, today's self serving Mayor's release reaches new heights. His "Hail to the Chief" paen, while extolling (rightfully) Rodney Monroe, will certainly be seen by many as a double-edged tribute to himself as well.

I believe Glass was incorrect in saying Echo Harbour would have a marina.... it would not. Rockett's Landing will have one, but it won't be a public marina. I think their marina will only be open to residents of Rockett's...

...and anyone willing to pay for the remaining spaces until Rockett's residents have demand for them.

Archived