Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Exquisite photography, Tommy! The angles from which you shot them are incredible. Thanks and congratulations.

Even the Kanawa Plaza fountain is flowing. Maybe the flag and fountain fairies have been taking heed of our pleas on this site.

Is there a way you can put all of your Richmond Center Stage pictures in the RCS Construction thread?

CommRE, I also have my opening night (September 12th) tickets. Actually, there is an invitational pre-opening performance on the 11th at prices up to $250 which includes pre-show cocktails and after show desserts at The Marriott. And its black tie. I'm too old for all that fancy schmancy, so opted for the official public opening.

Nice pictures TBurban... I haven't seen anything of Rocketts Landing in quite some time. Do you have any pictures of that development? Is that still being built out?

Everything seems rather quiet out there, lately. They had something going on for either the Marina opening or perhaps ground breaking for some more townhomes on the River facing. The other townhomes seem to be just grassy foundations. The private Marina is built (mainly simple wood decking, nothing exciting to look at) and the restaurant space looked like it was nearly ready for a tenant, last I saw. One day, I may learn how to take a decent picture and post some.

Thanks, fellas!

Ice is right, Rocketts is progressing, but at a slow and semi-steady rate. Im sure it's because there's little demand for it now, but CMSS used to have a page on the mixed use tower being built at Rocketts. Looks like it's still here, Ill link it below, but they've taken it off of their "On The Boards" page..

East Bank Tower, Rocketts Landing, CMSS

Just a couple of nostalgia tips:

The 10th photo down on this page (between the loading dock at RCS and Bell Tower in Capital Square) was formerly Ruegers Hotel. Ruegers Grill in the basement was one of Richmond's most prestigeous restaurants in the first half of the 20th Century. Before it was renamed Commonweealth Park Suites Hotel (which enjoyed a 5-diamond rating for a couple of years) it had one or two other identities -- "Mark" was part of one of its names. It now is graded with 3 diamonds by AAA and is located at the corner of 9th and Bank Streets directly across from Capital Square. For a while after renovation the basement was home to another upscale restaurant called ASSEMBLY.

Pictures 13 and 14 are of the old American Heritage Building at the corner of 10th and Main Streets. It is one of the oldest "high" rises in the city and was re-done into apartments two or three years ago. I toured the units early on and they are quite nice -- some with spectacular views. Directly next door at 1005 East Main Street is BANK, an elegant restaurant converted from an actual bank building. The multi-layered basement of BANK is home to a swinging new club called VAULT.

Edited by burt

Nice shot! Really loving how WM fills in the Downtown Expressway void.

Yea it'll look great when it's done. And how about the property between Dominion and McGuire Woods? I hope something tall in the 40 - 60 floor range goes there, that would look really good I think. BTW, is it Dominion who owns that property?

Yeah, Dominion owns the land and currently uses it for parking, so they'd have to be willing to sell. We had a semi-hopeful proposal float around for that lot a while back, but ended up just being a rendering of an already existing building and what it would look like if it was built as our signature tower. Here's the old thread for it, it's an interesting read. It's such a prime piece of real estate too, it's a shame it's still sitting as a surface lot.

Yeah, Dominion owns the land and currently uses it for parking, so they'd have to be willing to sell. We had a semi-hopeful proposal float around for that lot a while back, but ended up just being a rendering of an already existing building and what it would look like if it was built as our signature tower. Here's the old thread for it, it's an interesting read. It's such a prime piece of real estate too, it's a shame it's still sitting as a surface lot.

That's what I thought. In fact I remember now where I saw it.

http://map.richmondgov.com/zoning/?lon=-77...=r&dd=false

You can zoom in on the property and click on the little icon which will give you details about it. Since this is the kind of the wrong thread for this, I'll continue in the Richmond Development one.

Edited by evanf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing ronsmytheiii. I guess the river was full from all that rain we got. I like seeing the south side of Belle Island looking like it's supposed to look. It's nice to see our new skyline ... I haven't gotten any new skyline shots lately.