Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

I'm not trying to push Ginter Place (although I think it is a beautiful condo development) but I think this skyline view from the roof of the building is one of the most unique I've seen of Richmond. It covers mid-town (VCU area) as well as downtown.

It's the same skyline view I took from the big ferris wheel at the fair a few years ago, except it's a little bit closer.

• 4 weeks later...

At least River Front Towers is lit again. If the Wachovia building ever turns its neon back on , downtown will be a bright as it ever has been. I still say that the obnoxiously bright MWV really makes everything around it look pitch black. Their lighting scheme isn’t even showboating because it’s boring. It is just a big visual distraction.

I like the shots of Meade WestVaco taken by Cam. And although some have expressed dismay with the roofline lighting, it looks very good to me. Granted, I've not seen it "in person", but I don't believe it would chnge my opinion.

Cam, the photos of Broad Street between Adams and 3rd reveal that while it's a slow-going project, the facade restorations will improve the area vastly. Pity the city cannot continue widening the median west of 2nd Street and planting it with crepe myrtle all the way to The Boulevard. The grass clumps that landscapers like to use always look like unkempt weeds, IMO.

Edited by burt

http://bighugelabs.c...3348&size=large

Richmond Skyline 2010 by Sky Noir / All rights reserved

It's not mine, I just thought it was really good. MWV and Williams Mullen definitely add some density. Now if only we had a 60-80 story tower on the Dominion property...

[/quote

Nice crisp, sharp pic of the Richmond skykline illustrating the city's density. Thanks to whoever took it and to you for providing it, evan.smile.gif

Edited by burt

I'm too lazy to post individual pics.

Sunday's few.

Why is downtown so dark now????????!

Nice, Cam!! You covered all the latest development hots-spots and then some. Can't wait to see what that block on Broad will look like after renovations are done. The landscape and pedestrian friendly feel at the base of MWV has done wonders for that small stretch of the Canal Walk. And about the lighting of the skyline..the city really has to coordinate itself better. Dominion and the UPS and Suntrust buildings in Manchester still have their lights on, as does city hall. Although Riverfront Plaza's two tops are illuminated, they both turn off around 11 pm. Wachovia's neon light and Vista's crown have yet to be either fixed or turned back on...hopefully once WM is illuminated it'll encourage the city to adopt better lighting concepts and schemes, esp. for the larger, more prominent towers. Something on Monroe's concave sides would look really good!

Thanks. Tommy, City Hall is lit all year long. The lights were replaced before the James Center lighting. It's been lit since about May 2007. I actually think it's tacky, and think something like what the VCU buildings have would be better with the panels on top backlit. CNB also needs its lights back on. The Bank of America building used to have these bright lights on at least 3 corners for some reason. Of course I'd also love to see the pyramid on the West Hospital lit again and give the pyramid itself an accent.

I'm glad that the BOA lights came down. I think that they were trying to light the plaza to the west of the building. It looked like prison lighting, what with the lights pointing down towards the plaza and all. The City Hall lights are awful. At least the lights were recently replaced by better looking ones. The ones that went up in 2007 didn’t match. They may have all been "white" but the temperature of the light was all over the place, varying strand by stand. A couple of buildings lit up would give Richmond a completely different feel. The problem is that if/when the building owners do light the buildings it seems that they just go to Home Depot and grab some lights intended for suburban homes, not 20 story, commercial buildings.

What’s the deal with the sign on the new Hilton? Is there some reason that the red letters don’t light up but are simply flooded in light? Is it supposed to look “old timey”. It looks ridiculous and sub-par. Even the M&R sign that is still on the building along Broad is a lighted sign. What gives?

Just before it officially opened some of you were talking rather enthusically about roofline lighting styles being tried out on the Philip Morris USA Research building. How was that resolved?

At Christmas time I noticed the Hilton Garden Inn sign near the roof without looking at it critically while walking with friends from the Coliseum to our car. I recall thinking it looked like the signage in the rendering. On the same night I also saw that the letter "N" on the eastern side of the "_ational" marquee had burned out. I hope that has been corrected.

I love the new Carpenter Theatre marquee and the subtle up-lighting all around Richmond Center Stage.

Brent, you've got it right in another thread about spiffing up the Coliseum building and its plaza.

One thing's for certain: Richmond will never look like Vegas or Times Square. The City has strict laws relative to flashing/moving signage.

Edited by burt

Sorry to keep taking this thread way off point but I just drove past the Marriott and TJ Millers is installing a new sign that has single handedly pulled that intersection into the 21st century. It is amazing how far a little bit of splash can go. While not nearly the size, it has done for that intersection what the marquee has done for 6th and Grace.

OK, Back to photos I guess...

Sorry to keep taking this thread way off point but I just drove past the Marriott and TJ Millers is installing a new sign that has single handedly pulled that intersection into the 21st century. It is amazing how far a little bit of splash can go. While not nearly the size, it has done for that intersection what the marquee has done for 6th and Grace.

OK, Back to photos I guess...

During WW 2 and beyond, an electric news ticker, like that on the Times Building in NYCity, wrapped around the top of a two-story building at the northwest corner of 6th and Broad Streets. With TJMiller's new sign, illumination of Hilton Garden Inn (Miller & Rhoads Condos), plus the well-lit new Fed Court House and nearby marquees of The National and Carpenter Theatres, downtown is getting brighter. thumbsup.gif

Question? At Christmas time we had been dropped off near the 7th Street entrance to The Coliseum, but after the show we exited the 5th Street side and headed toward Broad because I was doubtful about accessibility to 6th Street. Can anyone verify the situation? Is it or is it not possible to approach and exit The Coliseum via 6th Street thru the glass Market Place structure attached to Blues Armory?

Edited by burt

Ronsmytheiii, thanks for the teriffic photos. We seldom see pictures of lakes in Byrd Park and this is an especially nice one of Boat Lake.

The City Hall Observation Deck is a perfect perch for picture-taking.

Photo #2, looking east from the deck shows most of VCU's Medical campus bounded by Broad, Leigh, 11th and 14th Streets as well as some state buildings and Shockoe Bottom with Church Hill in the background.

My favorite is shot #3 looking west on Broad Street with the new Fed Court House in the foreground taking up the full block between 8th and 7th Streets.

The empty lot between 7th and 6th Streets was the site of Thalhimers Department Store demolished to enlarge the Carpenter Theatre at 6th and Grace (visible in this photo.) The building facing the empty lot is Miller & Rhoads Condos/Hilton Garden Inn which covers the block between 6th and 5th. Further west at 3rd Street is the art deco Central National Bank tower.

The large structure covering several blocks center right in the picture is The Greater Richmond Convention Center (The Richmond Coliseum is just out of view to the extreme right, but is visible in Photo #4.)

Way off on the horizon left center, The 300 foot tall Carillon in Byrd Park is barely visible.

More, please, Ron. smile.gif

Edited by burt