Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

I'm hopeful that the wall will look nice when finished. It has a planter in the top of it so some lush greenery may spruce it up soon, also behind it is a fountain (well, there is one in the rendering and it looks like there is one in when you look at it in person but I haven't been able to get close enough to confirm it) which will add some texture to the corner. While I hate the lights, they do play well off of the ones across the street at the convention center (I don't care for those either but at least there is some consistency). I'm so pleased that I lived long enough to see anything happen with M&R that I'm having a hard time being critical about any of it.

Has anyone notice the blue lights that have been added to the expressway side of the Days Inn of Cary Street. They aren't very awesome but its nice to see some effort being made to jazz up the city!

Brent, I think you and I are talking about different walls. I'm referring to the free-standing, slightly curved 2-story structure that has been built as an entrance to the hotel. It blocks windows of two condos on the second floor above the lobby (the 8th and 9th pictures of M&R) and I'm sure will not be topped off with plants.

The brick planters wrapping around the corner of 5th and Broad will be filled with greenery and a sort of garden with a fountain will be in the courtyard.

Thanks TBurban. Funny - I just noticed how close my skyline picture matches your signature photo. I've got some others I'll be uploading later. As far as the lights, I wish they would either turn them off or someone would take responsibility for making sure there aren't an excessive number of bulbs out.

Edited by CommRE

Thanks TBurban. Funny - I just noticed how close my skyline picture matches your signature photo. I've got some others I'll be uploading later. As far as the lights, I wish they would either turn them off or someone would take responsibility for making sure there aren't an excessive number of bulbs out.

Yeah, the way the Federal Reserve is half-lit is pitiful..I hope it's just because they did the construction on the bottom supports and haven't reattached the bottom lights yet. And Vistas, I was so hopeful they'd keep their up-lights on the crown..but I guess they didn't last long. Hopefully they'll replace them soon. And yeah, the floodwall is one of my favorite places for skyline shots :) Looking forward to your next upload!

Edited by TBurban

• 2 months later...

Sometime visitor to this site, blake, has posted an excellent set of pictures on Richmond City Watch. Hit Photo Albums. They include Rocketts Landing, Williams Mullen and Mead WestVaco plus the first ever shots of the marina at Rocketts.

Go to http://www.richmondcitywatch.com/forum3/ and also enjoy Ryan's April Gallery of pictures.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

A varied and excellent set of pix, Tommy.

Great views up and down the river from the town homes on Oregon Hill including your favorite alley view.

Did you notice any construction work around the War Memorial? It was announced recently that the Memorial would be expanded.

I like the shot of 9th Street looking south, though it would be nice to see more traffic -- automotive and human.

Was the river shot (with people on the shore) at the downstream end of the floodwall on the south side of the James? Doesn't the Manchester Canal empty into the river somewhere along there?

Looking forward to your next batch.

Edited by burt

A varied and excellent set of pix, Tommy.

Great views up and down the river from the town homes on Oregon Hill including your favorite alley view.

Did you notice any construction work around the War Memorial? It was announced recently that the Memorial would be expanded.

I like the shot of 9th Street looking south, though it would be nice to see more traffic -- automotive and human.

Was the river shot (with people on the shore) at the downstream end of the floodwall on the south side of the James? Doesn't the Manchester Canal empty into the river somewhere along there?

Looking forward to your next batch.

Thanks, Burt. It's been a while, I missed your comments on pics from way back when! :)

Nothing going on at the war memorial yet. It looks like they've got a trailer on-site away from the visitor's center though. Not sure whether it's for construction or a temporary office before renovations/expansion takes place.

The river shot was in fact in front of the Manchester floodwall. I'm not sure where the canal meets the river in that area, anyone else know?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, coupe!

I know I said I would hit more of the city, but the weeks have been flying by. Hopefully it'll get done.. at least by the end of the....year.

A quick one from tonight:

DSC_0028.jpg

Great photo! I still say that we're missing a signature tower.

Great pix, Tommy. I note the one dedicated to me is missing, but I think I recall it as the one with the flowing fountain. The flags photo warms my heart. :)

In your next batch please try to include 6th and 5th Streets surrounding Miller and Rhoads as well as construction on the outdoor restaurant at The Marriott. I'm wondering if 6th and 5th streets have been cleared of construction equipment.

Also note in the Dining Out thread there's a request of you.

I've read that the plot around Meade WestVaco is a pile of dirt. The intention is to landscape it pending further construction of office buildings and a hotel at Founders Park. But with the economy, that could be a long time off.

Meanwhile, it would be nice if the mound of dirt could be planted before Richmond Folk Festival in October.

The Marriott is going to look nice after it is updated. The brick at the entrance is being covered in stone slabs, it looks like they are installing a fountain in the guest drop off area too. There is also a sign stating that Starbucks is opening in August (a real one, not a

Edited by Brent

Yeah very nice shots. You are doing a great job tommy. Hope this gets you too the next page as I am really looking forward too more.

Sorry I thought this would get you too the next page. Come on someone lets get to the next page so tommy can upload these suckers.

Edited by Downtowner