Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

• 3 months later...

We haven't been getting much in the way of photography lately in this thread.

But, Ryan Ramsey at http://richmondcitywatch.com has a neat new batch added in his August Gallery (click Gallery at top of his home page.) I think he is going to move all the new pictures beginning on his page 4 of August to a new September Gallery.

Warning: Ryan is not famous for captioning his wonderful photos, so you can play a guessing game while watching. If you're as familiar with the City as I am, you'll be able to figure out most locations. :):good:

Edited by burt

Haha I also don't caption, mainly because of the amount I take. It's almost fall and the time when I'll be back out taking pics by walking instead of being close to the car or in it. I love my sunroof! If anyone sees a silver car with a hand and camera sticking out of the sunroof... it's just me. Believe me it's also great for the not so safe neighborhoods.

• 3 months later...

You're brave. When the sun goes down, I'm off the island. I especially wouldn't take the tripod. I am mad still at half of the Fed Reserve being lit.

Haha I hear ya Cadeho. But surprisingly enough a lot of folks are out there in the evenings, especially since the sun goes down so early. There were some joggers and other folks enjoying the sunset like I was. Plus the tripod can double as a weapon :lol:

It is so hard for me to go anywhere off my path to work. I have been meaning to go out and take pics while it's cold, my time of year for doing it when people are not in the way. The West End aside from Innsbrook doesn't exist, downtown doesn't (although I see it), and South Side's not even on a map. I'll try to make it out to the Boulevard and other places. I took no pictures except ones at home during December. My weekends were usually rainy and cloudy... and my vacation the 1st whole week was dreary and the second was consumed with Christmas. I'm gearing up to spend time researching neighborhoods again and hopefully helping Trevor trace the Three Notched Road.

But for other picture taking trips... anyone up for it? I always do it by myself.

Someone wrote in the Norfolk thread that the Bank of America building in that city was almost as ugly as Richmond's City Hall.

While the Bank of America buildings in Norfolk AND Richmond are pretty bland IMO, the fairly recent renovation of Richmond's City Hall has done remarkable things for the city's skyline.

I was looking through Richmond in Pictures III hoping to find a picture of the City Hall which I could post to refute his criticism. But the Richmond photos are so overwhelmingly distinctive that I just sat back and enjoyed them rather than pull one up.

We have an incredibly talented and dedicated group of photographers. Among the most prodigious are Wrldcoupe4; Cadeho; Tommy (TBurban); source; blake; JSI; CommRE, and vdogg. Sadly, some of the pictures are deleted for technical reasons (photobucket, flicker, etc.), but I'm grateful to all of you and advise lurkers to visit Richmond in Pictures sites I, II and III from time to time.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

I was browsing thru Skyscraper City today and came upon these incredibly good pictures of Richmond. The first set is by JRQ (who I believe lives in Roanoke) and the very unusual night shots were done by someone who uses the tag Uliveandyouburn.

I'm grateful to both and hope they don't object to my posting them here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=793120

Edited by burt

Thanks Burt. I love how clear those night pics are... I didn't think we were that bright. I know I don't have the equipment to take pics like that. But I'd love to know how that person had access to these buildings at night, especially the Southern States silo. I hate how tacky our lights have become. Look at Vistas all burned out and the incomplete strings on the Federal Reserve. That's why I didn't take any pics this year of the Christmas/Love Lights.

I hate you Tommy! :P

I knew I forgot something yesterday. I drove by M&R on the way to Manchester and said I'd go back after I was done there and I was done plenty early too.

haha, I thought you went today?! If I'd known you were there yesterday I would've met up. I need your cell number, got a new phone after my old one got taken by the James..with my sim card..

The 8th and 9th images of Hilton Garden Inn among Tommy's excellent M&R photos clearly show the ugliest feature of the project, IMO. The free-standing slightly curved wall from which protrudes a rather cheap looking metal canopy not only is unattractive but blots out views from two expensive condo units on the second floor.

The wall is merely ornamental and, I think, a big mistake. There should be a large, prominent canopy such as the ones on Broad and Grace Streets flush with the 5th Street facade forming a dignified porte corchere.

My two cents. :)