Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Thanks for taking. What’s your commentary?

I probably should have provided some commentary, but at the time of posting, I was too tired to write anything.  I’ll go back and provide my thoughts. :thumbsup: 

Commentary added!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

WOWZERS, @eandslee -- are you sure you were in Richmond??  OMG - it doesn't even look like the same city! If I didn't know better, I'd swear you'd ended up in Raleigh or Nashville or somewhere. 

As you said - particularly in Scott's, it looks like a whole new city is being built from scratch from the ground up. It's just AYYY-MAYYY-ZINGGGG!!! 

Absolutely AMAZING photos, my good friend. And it goes without saying what THAT means. You know the drill. Kindly inform Mrs. @eandslee that your freshly polished, brand spanking new piece of RVA/UP Silver Hardware will be delivered to your doorstep shortly. 

Simply fantastic pictures!

image.png.ea53d9cc211f182bc3499c85430c6699.png

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

All good buddy, I just love to hear what you think being from out of town but also passionate about it all. 

I figured so…living up the road in a huge metropolis, I can say that Richmond still feels small, but it’s is coming into its own - beginning to feel bigger.  It’s true what they say - Richmond is a little big city, which has a lot of appeal. I do like the ability to easily drive anywhere without any traffic, but having some big-city amenities is essential to make Richmond more attractive.  Love to see growth similar to what’s happened in formally unattractive parts of DC, which now are big-time “happening” places…very similar to Scott’s Addition.  Density needs to always be the rule in any new development and will be an important element to change the perception that Richmond is a small, sleepy town.  More high-paying jobs need to bring more diversity, which will warrant even more big-city amenities.  The economy must boom, which increases the importance of the work that organizations like GRP does. Richmond is my hometown…I have plans to move back to area eventually (in the not too distant future).  It’s just becoming more and more attractive to folks like me who live in NoVA…but we need to have big-city amenities - things we’re used to having.  Traffic in Richmond is NOTHING and that is a huge “plus” toward its attractiveness.  As Richmond grows, it needs to ensure its stays well ahead of the influx of people by increasing public transportation options and efficacy (we like good, efficient, public transportation), but also proper built-out road infrastructure where good public transportation is not.  Airport HAS to grow.  Finally, love cool destination locations within the metro areas as well - The Lake, GreenCity, the Riverfront Amphitheater, a new Brown’s Island…all of these are awesome additions that make the area unique - love it!  Anyway, just some additional thoughts. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 4:56 PM, eandslee said:

…Continued - Scott’s Addition area: First up is the Hardee’s on AA Blvd, which has a fence around it and definitely had some workers onsite who appeared to be preparing the site for demolition.  Looking forward to the new hotel there. Next up, forgot the name, but it’s the tower with the apartments that will have shared common spaces.  Next up, The Ace - certainly starting to make a major presence in the area.  Once it gains a few more floors, it will really feel urban in that area.  This whole area is going to be booming with construction when the DD kicks off (not that there’s not a lot of construction in the area already).  I know this might be annoying to those who live in the area, but the whole place will be amazing when it’s all done.  It’s like a whole new city being built from the ground up there.  Wish there was a bit more height, but I think it will come - the place is such a popular place to be and space is starting to run out.  No other way to expand but to build up!  I’m very excited for this area.  Just wish more change would spill around I-95/I-64.  It’s important that passersby see the major changes happening there.  Right now, unless you’re looking for it, it’s hard to see that the place is undergoing any change - gotta get rid of the unsightly building that line the Interstate!  Other photos here of the Chasen project - which really looks nice and will be awesome once fully built.  Thought that the Icon, the Otis, and all other similar buildings height-wise look great!  Just imagine the additional building recently announced surrounding the Otis!  The feel of the area is just so newly classic!  Novel updates to finish off the photos.  

Lots of empty residences right now (due to construction), but once all of these fill up, this place will be BOOMING with street life - should be people everywhere!

IMG_7282.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7291.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg

IMG_7293.jpeg

IMG_7294.jpeg

IMG_7295.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg

IMG_7297.jpeg

IMG_7298.jpeg

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7301.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7303.jpeg

So by the looks of pictures 2 & 3, does that mean that the Outlier is actually officially under construction? I've never been able to get my head around whether or not construction on this building has actually started or if crews are still just doing site work or what's going on. This looks like construction, absent something obvious like a crane.

Yeah, definitely construction has started, but I have to say, the lot for it is fairly small. A crane, if it will require one, should be installed any day now.  I can’t imagine them doing too much more without one…but I’m not an expert. 

51 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

The Outlier is pretty far along already (insofar as there are concrete forms reaching two stories already). There was a (red) crane base installed last week.  Maybe the crane went up over the weekend?  

I think this is the red crane base you speak of?

IMG_7284.jpeg

Edited by eandslee