Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

According to the info on Flickr, they were taken on Dec. 30th. The building is back on the market, the previous owners having abandoned their plans to turn it into their residence.

Regarding The East End movie house, I note from the web site this theatre was posted for sale on October 27th. A million dollars could transform this baby into a gem of a theatre. "The Church Hill Playhouse presents....." :) It has 48' of height and thus could have a fly grid as good as the fly gallery developed at The Byrd. It could have a movie screen that would fly into the grid. As I said earlier, a 30' to 40' stage could be extended into the auditorium of the 118' long and 75' wide structure. There is over 700 square feet in a room below the existing stage. The main floor is raked as well as the balcony.

Where are the theatre freaks with imagination...and bucks? :lol:

Maybe ACORN should get behind this.

PS: If it were me, in addition to all the interior work I'd redesign the facade to blend in with the historic neighborhood.

Regarding The East End movie house, I note from the web site this theatre was posted for sale on October 27th. A million dollars could transform this baby into a gem of a theatre. "The Church Hill Playhouse presents....." :) It has 48' of height and thus could have a fly grid as good as the fly gallery developed at The Byrd. It could have a movie screen that would fly into the grid. As I said earlier, a 30' to 40' stage could be extended into the auditorium of the 118' long and 75' wide structure. There is over 700 square feet in a room below the existing stage. The main floor is raked as well as the balcony.

Where are the theatre freaks with imagination...and bucks? :lol:

Maybe ACORN should get behind this.

PS: If it were me, in addition to all the interior work I'd redesign the facade to blend in with the historic neighborhood.

Ah, Burt, this would truly be an asset to the Church Hill community but I assume all of the deep-pocketed muckety-mucks are focused on CenterStage for now and the forseeable future.

Wonderful, Coupe. Are pix #1 and #5 the same? And is the parking deck the property that is up for bids or is it the land just east of the garage at 10th Street.

And WELCOME BACK TOMMY!!! :thumbsup:

You know grennery was originally planned with hanging plants all over the parking deck. I wish they would do that.

same angle, one at morning and one at night...

It's interesting Burt... It's the surface lot at 10th and Byrd and then air rights above a portion of the RMA deck. It's for sale as mixed use high rise potential. No part of a new structure would actually be overtop the Downtown Expressway. So we'll see what happens...

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Air Rights is a tricky term -- at least here in NY. If there is a height restriction, for instance, the developer can buy air rights from another property and use them to increase the height of his building -- or something like that.

There isn't a system of TDRs ("Transferable Development Rights") in Richmond like in New York. That's a really novel and interesting system (one used by Donald Trump to great advantage), but it isn't used in very many places in the US.

In Richmond, a landowner can build as tall as the covenants and zoning allow (or as tall as he can get in a variance). Getting "air rights" over the deck merely means that they would have the right to build on top of the deck up to whatever the maximum height limited by zoning provides for. As I understand it, that deck was engineered to accommodate a building on top of it, so the height would be limited by the foundations, etc. as well unless the deck were torn down first and rebuilt (an unlikely occurrence).

Thanks for the clarification, Joey. Maybe eventually James Center will add 14 stories to JC III and another developer will build atop the parking garage. But as Coupe points out (unless I misunderstood) a sheme to include the garage AND the block immediately east are being offered for one structure.

Is it always that swampy behind your house? Mosquitos must be a real problem in the summer.

During the summer it usually shrinks to half the size of what you see there. The swamp is at its biggest size in years, and covers an acre or two of land. The county actually takes care of the mosquito problem by coming around late winter/spring and uses environmental friendly 'stuff' to kill off most of the mosquito eggs, so summer isn't too bad.

hahaha... Burt, I'll see about taking some of the pictures you've requested this week... I still have work though, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, Coupe. Meanwhile, I'll scan all the pictures in Richmond I, II and III and let you know if I spot any that may be burried in the archives. :)

Tommy said that he may be going out today (a holiday) to shoot some pix; but if the westher is anything like it is here, this may not be a good time for it. It's rainy, cloudy and generally gloomy in Manhattan.

Edited by burt